Sponsored

California bans sale of gas engines by 2035 [*** ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS. TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY ***]

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

TacosTuesday

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i am actually super excited for the future of EV. We're still in the early years of the tech & look at the performance many of the EV's get now. 100% torque available at zero RPM... that's just pure fun!

EV's will get more and more fun and better in every way in the near future. I work for the largest electric utility in the US and it's been super interesting to get to be involved in the research and possible solutions for the power side related to this. We're connecting all kinds of batteries to the electric grid now, not Lithium, but solid state. What might that bring to consumer battery tech? There's all kinds of amazing new stored energy tech on the horizon.

While power grid upgrades will of course need to happen, do realize that most people currently charge their ev's overnight, when there's very low usage on the grid & power is at it's cheapest. That allows for solutions like Helms Power Plant (there's vids on youtube and wiki) and all kinds of new tech to come.

Imagine electrified roads, where all cars & trucks are essentially able to QI charge as they drive down the road. Might not even need to stop & charge very often in the near future. Change always brings some fear & pains with it and i'm NOT looking forward to getting taxed out of being able to buy gasoline for my older toys either. But i look forward to being able to take a nap as my EV drives me to the race track (or canyons) where i can take over and have some fun.

(yes, i'm that weird ass tree hugger environmentalist gun owner race car loving fool that buys organic and tries to squeeze every ounce of HP out my small block v8's... no coexist sticker though šŸ˜ )

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i am actually super excited for the future of EV. We're still in the early years of the tech & look at the performance many of the EV's get now. 100% torque available at zero RPM... that's just pure fun!

EV's will get more and more fun and better in every way in the near future. I work for the largest electric utility in the US and it's been super interesting to get to be involved in the research and possible solutions for the power side related to this. We're connecting all kinds of batteries to the electric grid now, not Lithium, but solid state. What might that bring to consumer battery tech? There's all kinds of amazing new stored energy tech on the horizon.

While power grid upgrades will of course need to happen, do realize that most people currently charge their ev's overnight, when there's very low usage on the grid & power is at it's cheapest. That allows for solutions like Helms Power Plant (there's vids on youtube and wiki) and all kinds of new tech to come.

Imagine electrified roads, where all cars & trucks are essentially able to QI charge as they drive down the road. Might not even need to stop & charge very often in the near future. Change always brings some fear & pains with it and i'm NOT looking forward to getting taxed out of being able to buy gasoline for my older toys either. But i look forward to being able to take a nap as my EV drives me to the race track (or canyons) where i can take over and have some fun.

(yes, i'm that weird ass tree hugger environmentalist gun owner race car loving fool that buys organic and tries to squeeze every ounce of HP out my small block v8's... no coexist sticker though šŸ˜ )
Iā€™m cautiously optimistic about the concepts you address. Remember that many levels of govā€™t will need to be involved in all of the infrastructure improvements, so the chance of getting things done before the arbitrary deadline of 11 years from now seems unlikely. Iā€™m also curious if the anti EV folks, or possibly the environmentalists for whatever reason, may try to use the court systems to hamper infrastructure projects like what happens with fossil fuel based energy projects currently.

Like I posted before, I bought and sold a 2022 Ford Lightning Pro last fall. It didnā€™t work for me and cost $100 more per month in electricity (than my diesel 1500 Silverado) at the ridiculous MA rates (39 cents per kWh) before the winter range hit and morning prewarming happened. It was really nice to drive, but not practical with present technology and infrastructure.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Having spent years in research and development myself, I understand the technical hurdles and realistic timelines new development and rollout requires.

New Battery Technology Development for each type - 10 - 30 years plus

Fully Upgraded US Grid - 50 years plus

Nationwide Electrified Wireless Roads - 100 years plus

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Look, everyone knows that the world is ending in another 7 years based on predictions made by some climate change experts in 2018. So does it really matter whether or not California bans gasoline powered vehicles 12 years from now?

I think not.

Mind you, EV's have made impressive progress, but still aren't completely ready to fully replace/displace ICE powered vehicles. I don't think that will change in 12 years either, especially in California where a trip from Northern California to Southern California can exceed 500 miles without leaving the state.

There are implementation challenges that are also not just technological, such as taxes necessary to maintain highway infrastructure, which I won't discuss further as that's a political topic, but clearly the loss of revenue at the gas pump is certainly going to be felt by government as people transition from ICE to EV.

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look, everyone knows that the world is ending in another 7 years based on predictions made by some climate change experts in 2018.
LOL Some even said it "would end" this year back in 2018

giphy.gif

eqlol

Everglades
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

It's all 'feel good' policies for the resume that are meant to look good but never happen. Unless we have a major infrastructure advancement within the next few years, I doubt it will happen. We can't even handle a summer with AC's running.

Our Bronco's and OHV Vehicles, gas vehicles will be fine.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Towing will suck in 20 years I think, canā€™t go very far before recharging, long waits to charge = very long trip times.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...150-lightning-electric-truck-towing-test/amp/
20 years is a LONG time for technology. Just think where computers were 20 years ago. Or batteries for that matter. The original cell phones were huge bricks with a run time of less than the crappiest cell phone today.

At somewhat modest 5% annual improvement in range, a 300 mi range today translates to a 800 mile range in 20 years.

It is somewhat of a corner case but my biggest concern is not range but recharging. You can bring a jerry can in the trunk but not a battery. Then again the most gas I have ever brought in the trunk is around 9 gallons, which is about 200mi. So an 800 mi range has me covered... if I am still alive 20 years from now.

I also don't see gas stations drying up. THere will be a lot of 10+ year old ICE cars on the road in 20 years.
Sponsored