Sponsored

Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco...

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just bring some finality to this thread for me....
I test drove 2 2021 Rubicons over the last week and it's out.
There was an honest 2 inches of play in the steering wheel on both sides of wheel and that's stock with 285's. I'd go to 37's if I got the Rubicon and would make it even worse (I presume). While the SFA would be great off road I just couldn't imagine driving 600 miles + on the road to get to the mountains I frequent in the JL. I did think the motor was fine and the interior was great.

BRING ON THE BRONCO!
Sponsored

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am not certain how this will be received in a Bronco forum, but I hoping for honest feedback.
My last rig was a 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro with a 3 inch Icon coil over lift on 33s. It was a great truck, but I need more ground clearance and didn't want to start hacking away to maybe even fit 35s and all the other nightmares than go along with it.
I've found a good enough deal on a 21 Jeep JLU Rubicon that I'd plan to fit with 37's and a 2.5 or 3.5 inch lift (Metalcloak).
I am also still interested in the the BL 2 door Bronco, but fitting 37's and CV axle strength is still up in the air.
I'd get an extended warranty on either.
Whatever I get will not be my DD and will be used only for multi day off roading and remote, solo camping trips in the desert and in the Sierra Mountains.

My question is for all current and prior JL owners is their ownership experience with Jeep and why they are considering the Bronco (aside from the cool factor).
SFA in the Jeep is attractive to me for lifting capability and articulation off road, knowing full well it will not be as nice of a ride on road compared to IFS.
Now that it appears Jeep has solved it's steering issues I am more apt to jump in and revisit the Bronco after a couple years once folks have mod'd and proved out what works and what doesn't.

Some interesting information on lift and 37s etc...

Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... 1602104522397

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Some interesting information on lift and 37s etc...

1602104522397.png
Thanks. I've seen comments like those before, but the fact is Ford hasn't officially advised they'd be offering the rumored Factory or dealer installed 2 inch lift thus far.
I could always go aftermarket and if the Bronco only requires 2 inches of lift to accommodate 37's then I don't think that will create CV angle and binding issues. But we just don't know yet. What I DO know is this is the Bronco I am after (apart from the color).
Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... IMG_6369

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I've seen comments like those before, but the fact is Ford hasn't officially advised they'd be offering the rumored Factory or dealer installed 2 inch lift thus far.
I could always go aftermarket and if the Bronco only requires 2 inches of lift to accommodate 37's then I don't think that will create CV angle and binding issues. But we just don't know yet. What I DO know is this is the Bronco I am after (apart from the color).
Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... IMG_6369
That’s the look I’m after, 37s. It’s part of the reason I’m looking at the manual BL with the 4.7 gear. Yes I know it’s a bit under geared for 37s, but still... I just don’t know about the suspension headaches I’d get into. Don’t want to limit the rig too much in terms of travel/articulation

wny pat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ; 2014 JK; 2020 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That’s the look I’m after, 37s. It’s part of the reason I’m looking at the manual BL with the 4.7 gear. Yes I know it’s a bit under geared for 37s, but still... I just don’t know about the suspension headaches I’d get into. Don’t want to limit the rig too much in terms of travel/articulation
Realistically, if/when the Warthog comes out that’ll be the platform most capable with 37s. I have a Tundra with a very mild 2” ToyTech lift up front, 285/75/18 tires and 3”blocks in the rear to keep the rake. Anything over that in the Tundra and you get in to CMC (chassis mount chop for those not familiar with the intricacies of lifting the IFS Tundra) to fit larger tires without rubbing. Until production versions of these are out and about, it’s all guess work on what will have to be done to fit different tires. No one expected to have to cut the chassis of the Tundra to stuff 35” tires on it. The relationship of tire size to articulation to travel is going to depend on exactly how everything is set set up at the corners.... and until you’ve got the wheel locked turn to turn... you won’t really know.

Sponsored

EMrider

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was deliberating between a JLUR and a Badlands Bronco, and also went with the Bronco. My usage is similar to yours; camping, off-roading, hunting, etc.... And based on your screen name, probably in the same areas of the eastern Sierras that you frequent. I’ve owned two Jeeps; a 2005 LJ and a 2015 JKUR. Loved both and the JKUR has been a completely trouble free daily driver for 96k miles. That said, the Bronco was my choice because I don’t trust that the JL steering problems have been fully resolved. The new TSB seems to be a major improvement, but the widespread nature of the problem and FCA’s slow response leave me wary. In addition, most of my outdoor adventures involve 300-500 miles of highway driving and I think I’ll appreciate the better highway comfort of IFS. I’m not a rock crawler and run 33s on the JLUR; but I do work the Jeep pretty hard with long days in 4-low, steep hills, mud, snow and rocks. I’m reasonably confident that the Bronco can handle that stuff with ease.......and if not, then a lot of us are going to be very disappointed.

R

Reactions: Axe
OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was deliberating between a JLUR and a Badlands Bronco, and also went with the Bronco. My usage is similar to yours; camping, off-roading, hunting, etc.... And based on your screen name, probably in the same areas of the eastern Sierras that you frequent. I’ve owned two Jeeps; a 2005 LJ and a 2015 JKUR. Loved both and the JKUR has been a completely trouble free daily driver for 96k miles. That said, the Bronco was my choice because I don’t trust that the JL steering problems have been fully resolved. The new TSB seems to be a major improvement, but the widespread nature of the problem and FCA’s slow response leave me wary. In addition, most of my outdoor adventures involve 300-500 miles of highway driving and I think I’ll appreciate the better highway comfort of IFS. I’m not a rock crawler and run 33s on the JLUR; but I do work the Jeep pretty hard with long days in 4-low, steep hills, mud, snow and rocks. I’m reasonably confident that the Bronco can handle that stuff with ease.......and if not, then a lot of us are going to be very disappointed.

R
Yes, seems like we frequent the same areas and use case scenarios.
I like the Jeep, but I don't love it. I hope I love the Bronco.

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, here is my bias: I'm "all in" on the Bronco and I think Ford will do a really good job here. They are showing commitment and they are investing in relevant technology. I think FCA is loosing it's way with Jeep and are milking it as a cash cow.

Now that's out of the way...

I have driven both JL's and JLU's. I have driven JK's on 37's. I have had a JKU for 8 years, running a 3.5" short arm lift on 35's. I've done quite a few challenging trails and a bit of real crawling - including the Rubicon. It's an impressive and fun vehicle. You can simply go places and see things you just can do otherwise and you feel a great sense of confidence doing it and accomplishment afterwards.

To you're specific points: I did NOT find the JL to feel as good as the JK, but maybe it's better with the new steering. The Jeep is not a great vehicle to drive long distance, but it can be done (I've done it lots of times). And the Jeep handled the 37's fine. If you are considering hardcore crawling and more boulders than rockface (think more Rubicon than Moab) I think you should look at the Jeep. But, aside from that niche...

I don't know that I will try the Rubicon or Fordyce in my Bronco. It'll do it, but it'll probably be harder. Plus, I'm older and probably don't need to do that pinnacle again. But driving long distance and any other kind of off roading (including crawling that's not extreme) - I'm sure the Bronco will excel.
Do you think the stock badlands could do the Rubicon trail or do you need more ground clearance?

Sponsored

not tame

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 C8 Vette, F10 M5 BMW, F150 Shelby, F250 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do not worry about the IFS on the Bronco It has a Dana 44 in the rear and a Dana 44 in the front Just cut for the IFS it will be fine crawling over rocks, neither the Jeep nor the Bronco will like spinning and then bouncing on a ROCK. (at least the axles won't) but my advice is what you can not crawl up, you winch up..IMHO

Chris S

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a day 1 Bronco reservation holder, and also have reservations on the Rivian R1T and Cybertruck. I got tired of waiting on a new off-road toy, so recently bought a '19 JLUR just to have fun with until one of the other toys arrive. I got a good deal on it, so expect I s/b able to sell it w/o losing much if any $$$.

The JL is my wife's DD, replacing a '17 Subie Forester. So far, she has really enjoyed it and would be happy to keep it indefinitely. It's stock, and she's not wild about getting a lift kit or bigger tires, so a Squatch would be a way to sneak some bigger tires on her. :) I expect the Bronco to be technically superior in most aspects, but the Jeep still wins in some areas. The biggest one, aside from cost differential, is the Sky 1-touch top we have. It's really nice being able to retract or close the top while on the move and fine-tune just how much of a breeze you want. The JL fits pretty nicely in our garage, but I think a Bronco's extra width, esp. Squatch'd, will be a tight fit. I love the idea of the Bronco's extra power, but I also like the simplicity, lower maintenance, and (likely) better reliability/longevity of a N/A engine in the Jeep.

As of now, I don't know which one we'll go with for the long term, but we know we'd be perfectly fine keeping the Jeep long-term and at the very least it makes the weight for these long-delayed new vehicles a lot more tolerable.

BigMike949

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had 2 wranglers, buying a 3rd and have a reservation for a bronco. The Jeep is a sacrifice interior space is tight, and although a total beast off-road on road it’s a very refined racing tractor. It’s quick and nimble and they have done amazing things to make it great on road and off, but ya you give up something on road. and the technology even on the new jl is behind the times.

quality has been an issue with the newest version the JL, problems with the laser welds, steering box, water pump,a selaniod in the transmission, electrical, and other issues have plagued it.

so the ifs, technology, more powerful v6, and Interior Space has my attention.. but no one has really driven these yet day to dayor tried modifying them.. so it’s all pie in the sky and promises.. we’ll see if they live up to the HYPE if so I am interested, just hoping mine gets built before 2023... right now not too certain

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of good info here. I have owned Jeep’s and driven the JK. I find the seating position and interior uncomfortable. For long distance use, that’s the first issue where the Bronco is clearly better for your description of use. I was only in a Bronco for 30 minutes, but the seating position and interior comfort is a step or two better. 37s and durability? Model for model the Bronco has similar running gear (or actually a bit more HD). The area the Jeep is clearly superior off road- CV joints and boots. SFA is clearly superior, particularly when used hard. No boots to split, come loose, get cut etc. Steering has been mentioned a lot. SFA requires compromise. To get acceptable tire wear you get vague steering, high speed stability, you get slow steering. Add to that the steering box and recirculating ball set up, it adds complexity, bump steer and geometry trade offs. Lift it, makes it all “worse”. IFS has more design parameters you can adjust to get more balanced performance. Rack and pinion gives you a direct link to the knuckle, reducing the geometry issues. Zombie apocalypse- SFA (I would suggest a Diesel Chevy Blazer circa 1980s vs. Jeep or anything “newer” but I digress) DD on 37s - IFS and Bronco, from what we know now IMO, not even close.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

To get acceptable tire wear you get vague steering, high speed stability, you get slow steering. Add to that the steering box and recirculating ball set up, it adds complexity, bump steer and geometry trade offs.
I chuckle everytime I read about the Jeep "steering box and recirculating ball set up". I did a full frame off restmod to my 1938 Chevy pickup, what did it have, yes, SFA and a "steering box and recirculating ball set up", I rebuilt the steering box myself. So here we are 90 years removed from the 1930's automotive technology and what do we have in a Jeep, 1930's automotive technology.

I'm amazed in all these years Jeep has not invented a better steering box.
Sponsored