Sponsored

Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco...

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I chuckle everytime I read about the Jeep "steering box and recirculating ball set up". I did a full frame off restmod to my 1938 Chevy pickup, what did it have, yes, SFA and a "steering box and recirculating ball set up", I rebuilt the steering box myself. So here we are 90 years removed from the 1930's automotive technology and what do we have in a Jeep, 1930's automotive technology.

I'm amazed in all these years Jeep has not invented a better steering box.

It's not a Jeep only thing.

If it has a beam axle in the front, more than likely it has a recirculating ball style steering gear box.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It's not a Jeep only thing.

If it has a beam axle in the front, more than likely it has a recirculating ball style steering gear box.
I completely understand, that is why I cited my 1938 Chevy, it is old and widely used technology. I just find it interesting there has been no paradigm shift progress made in this area since the 1930's.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could be wrong, but I don't think they're sourcing 1930s steering boxes. There have been improvements, and if something works (well) why change it to something more complex for a marginal (if any) improvement?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're sourcing 1930s steering boxes. There have been improvements, and if something works (well) why change it to something more complex for a marginal (if any) improvement?
I did not say 1930's steering boxes, I said 1930's steering technology.

Why improve, oh, I don't know, maybe Death Wobble, vague steering feel, etc.

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You are right @AcesandEights , the technology of Recirc-Ball steering boxes have improved significantly. Trying to say Recirc-Ball steering gears are old technology that shouldn't be used anymore is like saying that 4-stroke combustion engines (in all those Jeeps and coming in the new Broncos) are old technology and shouldn't be used anymore.

It's not the recirculating ball design that is causing the the steering problems that JL owners are seeing. It's a combination of things:
The aluminum steering box that deflects over .020" just from wiggling the steering wheel L & R.
The not so strong drag link, tie rod assembly and track bar.
Probably the aluminum knuckles too (haven't tested deflection in those yet).

Then we've got to add in:
Installing lift kits (especially with sub-par components)
Improper alignments
Even poor shock and coil choice can amplify the dreaded death wobble.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did not say 1930's steering boxes, I said 1930's steering technology.

Why improve, oh, I don't know, maybe Death Wobble, vague steering feel, etc.
We also have gas motors, transmissions, and differentials, in most vehicles. Old technology?

Death wobble is typically an issue of caster, and typically induced when you raise the vehicle with fixed length control arms (that change caster). Obviously it can happen with any vehicle, but it is usually related to a solid front axle and control arms that are tied to the frame, or another fixed point, and an axle that rotates as the vehicle height is lifted. It's not a Jeep thing, and it's not as common as Ford marketing departments want you to believe.

BigMike949

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are right @AcesandEights , the technology of Recirc-Ball steering boxes have improved significantly. Trying to say Recirc-Ball steering gears are old technology that shouldn't be used anymore is like saying that 4-stroke combustion engines (in all those Jeeps and coming in the new Broncos) are old technology and shouldn't be used anymore.

It's not the recirculating ball design that is causing the the steering problems that JL owners are seeing. It's a combination of things:
The aluminum steering box that deflects over .020" just from wiggling the steering wheel L & R.
The not so strong drag link, tie rod assembly and track bar.
Probably the aluminum knuckles too (haven't tested deflection in those yet).

Then we've got to add in:
Installing lift kits (especially with sub-par components)
Improper alignments
Even poor shock and coil choice can amplify the dreaded death wobble.
the steering box fixed my jl they have a new cast iron one that is much better, I also have an aftermarket trackbar and top of the line fix steering stabilizer, that I got trying to fix the problem before Jeep admitted there was a steering issue on the 2029 model year.. so hard to say it was only that, but it got no better till I did the steering box.

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the steering box fixed my jl they have a new cast iron one that is much better
they do have a new steering box that fixed my jeep
Yep, the new steel steering boxes are way better than the aluminum steering boxes.

We stuck a dial indicator on a couple of the aluminum steering boxes and found over .020" flex just by wiggling the steering wheel left to right. It was pretty amazing that got through engineering.

You can see it in this video at about the 40 second mark:

Sponsored

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yep, the new steel steering boxes are way better than the aluminum steering boxes.

We stuck a dial indicator on a couple of the aluminum steering boxes and found over .020" flex just by wiggling the steering wheel left to right. It was pretty amazing that got through engineering.

That’s horrendous.

BigMike949

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

More amazing is that it took till the 4th model year of the jl to fix it
Sponsored