Sponsored

Calm Before the Storm Musings: Where does Ford build the Pre-Production models? (And don't say Detroit)

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As we await the Build and Price tool, the analyst in me has a question about all the pre-production models they have been used in marketing materials, ads, concepts etc....where are they made and are the parts suppliers in cahoots too? I am admittedly not a "car guy" and don't know how Detroit car production works but I can't imagine there already is a production line geared up for the Bronco/Bronco Sport (BS). So I'm guessing Ford (and the other makers) have some sort of prototype lab or/and "special projects" line. So many details and parts that need to be made. Just curious.

I'm also amazed that how well the "OPSEC" is around new model development. When you consider the number of months (years?) and the people it takes to accomplish a feat like this with arguably little leakage (some of which may be intentional?) it's quite impressive. Is it a matter of "Sign your NDA and leave your cellphone at home"?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Preproduction models are made in a building in Allen park Michigan across from a meijer. New models building.
Shit doesnā€™t leak because folks like getting paid $150k and donā€™t like be fired. Suppliers only kind of know whatā€™s going on. Very piece meal.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Michigan.

JK

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am not this why it is so hard to believe. I think you see more leaks with technology because the workers take less pride in the actual physical product. Look at all the people either here or on the FB group that are Ford employees, the pride is pretty impressive and from what I can see they take building they're product very serious.
Plus the DOD has been doing it years with TS programs.

OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Am not this why it is so hard to believe. I think you see more leaks with technology because the workers take less pride in the actual physical product. Look at all the people either here or on the FB group that are Ford employees, the pride is pretty impressive and from what I can see they take building they're product very serious.
Plus the DOD has been doing it years with TS programs.
I get the DOD/Intel Community deals with classified and if you leak it you could end up in jail, not just lose your job. I work in that world and still there is that one guy or gal every now and then that eff's up despite the training, risks and potential punishment.

I totally get the pride in the effort. That's awesome. But, unfortunately, humans being humans, there is gonna be that one dude who is peeved at The Man or seeks his 15 minutes of cult hero worship who will leak pics or details. No organization is exempt. And with the competitive nature of the car industry and the car media as I understand it I would think the temptations are strong. So good on Ford and the Bronco team for giving us this great new offering and keeping it under wraps...literally.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sign the NDA, put your cell phone in the faraday bag which they lock, walk into room filled with cameras and people walking around with go-pros on gyros to catch anyone trying to sneak a pic with a hidden camera. Threaten anyone that talks about seeing said product with legal action for confirming stuff that's already been "leaked" to the media.
Sponsored