Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Has anyone experienced this on the Bronco Raptor? The last two days when I have cold started the first 5 seconds has a nasty, loud rattle. It goes away promptly but it sounds like a diesel starting up. Video attached. Is this the cam phasers failing?

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes! Sounds like the cam phasers. See video below from my 2018 Lariat with the 3.5. I did not know that the 3.0 had this issue

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cam phasers... Issue on the 3.5 for years, the 2.7 and i guess the 3.0. I can't believe Ford would continue building engines with this known issue, my 2012 F-150 has this issue, it has been fixed once and is doing it again...

OP
OP
Tye

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Been researching this on raptor truck forum, has there been a long term solve yet? Many have had the issue come back even after the fix. After the service ive received at several different bay area dealers, Im not thrilled Im going to have to have one of them open up the engine. None of them have actually wanted to service the bronco raptor and dont seem to have a clue about it.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

you get the added diesel sound.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife’s 3.5 had the cam phasers replaced at 42k. Fix worked for 2 years/35k miles. We traded it in at that point. At some point after the replacement a recalibration was done on the PCM to help the cam phaser issue. Reduced mpg by 1. During the life of the vehicle I used synthetic 5w-30 every 5k miles.

OP
OP
Tye

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

thanks. i am at 1600 miles as a point of reference. And i made sure to break the engine in for 1000 miles before going WOT.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has anyone experienced this on the Bronco Raptor? The last two days when I have cold started the first 5 seconds has a nasty, loud rattle. It goes away promptly but it sounds like a diesel starting up. Video attached. Is this the cam phasers failing?

Hi Tye. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

thanks. i am at 1600 miles as a point of reference. And i made sure to break the engine in for 1000 miles before going WOT.
Break-in has nothing to do with this, you're good. This is an issue that has been plaguing ford for 10+ YEARS and they still can't fix the issue. Sad.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
my 2018 Lariat had it at 16K and fixed under warranty. Sold it at 42K and the issue never came back.

My 2019 Raptor never had it and I sold it at 13K miles
My 2021 Raptor at 10K miles does not have it either

If I were you, find a dealership that has done a few 3.5. I can't imagine it being that much different.

Been researching this on raptor truck forum, has there been a long term solve yet? Many have had the issue come back even after the fix. After the service ive received at several different bay area dealers, Im not thrilled Im going to have to have one of them open up the engine. None of them have actually wanted to service the bronco raptor and dont seem to have a clue about it.

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same issue that plagued the old 5.4 Triton’s too?

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The repair does not require pulling the heads or bottom end of your engine. They’ll pull the valve covers and front cover off.

Holiday

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Tye what was your build date? This is a real bummer to see happening, especially at 1600 miles.

OP
OP
Tye

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Tye what was your build date? This is a real bummer to see happening, especially at 1600 miles.
10/11/22
Sponsored