Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not an electrical guy so pardon my ignorance.

Should I take my Bronco to a campsite where there is a 110 power outlet available, what is your advice for using a trickle charger hooked up to the Bronco battery to charge devices (e.g., several phone chargers/ tablets) overnight using a surge protector/ multi-plug strip to the Bronco's 110V outlet? Same question for something like a Goal Zero so that it's ready for the next day, etc. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Should I take my Bronco to a campsite where there is a 110V power outlet available, what is your advice for using a trickle charger hooked up to the Bronco battery to charge devices (e.g., several phone chargers/ tablets) overnight using a surge protector/ multi-plug strip to the Bronco's 110V outlet? Same question for something like a Goal Zero so that it's ready for the next day, etc. Thanks!
My dad wired up the same thing in 1984 for his custom shaggin wagon 84 extended Econoline 150 I later saw 45 states in. It was a dedicated battery charger built in because back then all the cool camping stuff like 20lb 5inch screen tv and fans and lights all ran off 12v. So we plugged the van in at every campsite to keep its battery topped up while we camped and enjoyed 1984 technology. I think it would make sense for conveinence to use a trickle charger and run stuff in your bronco. I would recommend that you not use much more power during camping than your trickle charge gives you. There are formulas available if you just google 110v to 12v to figure out the volts and amps you are using and charging.

OP
OP
530Squatch

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dad wired up the same thing in 1984 for his custom shaggin wagon 84 extended Econoline 150 I later saw 45 states in. It was a dedicated battery charger built in because back then all the cool camping stuff like 20lb 5inch screen tv and fans and lights all ran off 12v. So we plugged the van in at every campsite to keep its battery topped up while we camped and enjoyed 1984 technology. I think it would make sense for conveinence to use a trickle charger and run stuff in your bronco. I would recommend that you not use much more power during camping than your trickle charge gives you. There are formulas available if you just google 110v to 12v to figure out the volts and amps you are using and charging.
@MaverickMan appreciate the insight and advice. I was once the kid who was the "channel selector" (no remote) so I appreciate similar memories camping with my folks in the early 80's and thinking it was the bee's knees. I'll keep an eye on what the manual says with regard to the charger's limits- it's a relatively new one. I just wasn't sure about hooking up several phones (or whatever) to a power strip in the Bronco, all being charged via external charger off a 110 connection. Not sure if there was anything fundamentally wrong with my approach. Thanks again!

Last edited:

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should I take my Bronco to a campsite where there is a 110 power outlet available, what is your advice for using a trickle charger hooked up to the Bronco battery to charge devices (e.g., several phone chargers/ tablets) overnight using a surge protector/ multi-plug strip to the Bronco's 110V outlet? Same question for something like a Goal Zero so that it's ready for the next day, etc. Thanks!
I understand your post to read that you want to run a power strip off the Bronco's 110V source to charge devices while at the same time charge the starting battery from shore power (camp site 110V source) ?
The Bronco's 110V power outlet is energized by an inverter that operates from your alternator, engine has to be running so it is also charging the starting battery.
Why not just plug your power strip into the shore power?
If you are wanting to use the Bronco's 12V DC power as a source to operate 12V DC devices then yes you could hook a 110V AC charger to the shore power and charge the starting battery but as has been said if you use more amps than you are putting in, your battery will still discharge. All though this will work and is simple it is not the best way to do things.
Google or YouTube "Redarc" or "dual battery set up" I think these charging systems are a lot safer.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Minor use of your Bronco battery for things like phone charging are okay but don't overdue it or you may find yourself stranded with a dead battery. If the Bronco does not come with an AGM battery that will be my first upgrade to the largest one that fits.

Since it will be hard to find room to put a second battery the Goal Zero power bank is a good idea. Then you can charge while driving from the Bronco's 110 Inverter or charge at the campsite if they have 110.

If the campsite has 110, plug your devices into that, not the Bronco with trickle charger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Goal Zero is a good idea. A solar panel is another option to charge it during the day.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're overthinking this. Just plug your devices into the shore power.

If you really want to use the Bronco 110v for some reason you will need a new inverter that can be used without the vehicle running.

I'm sure the info is here somewhere on whether or not some USB plugs are live all the time or not. If they are then plugging a phone or something into that overnight is (usually) fine.

A Goal Zero will be fine as well. An easy solution.

I would just keep the devices plugged in/charged while driving and conserve your device's battery power while you're not.

Last edited:

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just keep askin myself, how many damn phones does this guy need, and why can’t he just plug em into the USBs during the day. I know, I’m probably outta touch with all this modern stuff.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Dang I miss read the title. I thought you hooked up with someone at the campsite. I was all ready to ask you the name of the campsite. LOL

Ford Bronco Camp Site Power Hookup tenor (2)

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My plan was always a Jackery or Goal Zero charging off the 110 in the Bronco while moving or solar while parked. Plug everything I need into that.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Bronco's 110V power outlet is energized by an inverter that operates from your alternator, engine has to be running so it is also charging the starting battery.
If you really want to use the Bronco 110v for some reason you will need a new inverter that can be used without the vehicle running.
The 110-volt outlet in my Sahara is energized WITHOUT engine running. The ignition switch just has to be in the "on" (one click up) position. Not sure it'd be any different with the Bronco. Otherwise I agree with your statements.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 110-volt outlet in my Sahara is energized WITHOUT engine running. The ignition switch just has to be in the "on" (one click up) position. Not sure it'd be any different with the Bronco. Otherwise I agree with your statements.
You're likely right. I haven't paid much attention to it and how it operates. The supplied inverter is really nothing more than a gimmick to charge some camera batteries.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These days, we bring a big battery for charging devices, including a cooler/fridge. Campsites with electricity are usually crowded and full of RVs; these are the exact folks I'm trying hard to get away from. 😙 I camp in a tent.

Jackery, Goal Zero, or Bluetti are good options to look into in a range of sizes and price from as low as $200-$1500, but the high end is overkill unless doing a weeklong overland trip.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These days, we bring a big battery for charging devices, including a cooler/fridge. Campsites with electricity are usually crowded and full of RVs; these are the exact folks I'm trying hard to get away from. 😙 I camp in a tent.

Jackery, Goal Zero, or Bluetti are good options to look into in a range of sizes and price from as low as $200-$1500, but the high end is overkill unless doing a weeklong overland trip.
Ford Bronco Camp Site Power Hookup 1620043873501

But, when this is your tent, you’re gonna have followers... 😉
Sponsored