Sponsored

Can’t think of a blessed aux switch item that I want/need - novelty of aux switches still worth it?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Arduino - Home
How to Make Your Own Arduino Board : 13 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables
Easy to start-Plenty of kits with downloadable code. As for coding, you can learn and build by cutting and pasting code lines. I had no electrical background but have built many projects from a segway , wearables and even a drone controller. Many smart people offer open source code and parts list. From there, you can build on your own creations. Work your way to programming ATtiny mircocontrollers to create wearables. Amazon has reasonable starter kits.
Pretty amazing stuff.
I'll devote some time into looking at it.
Thanks for opening up a world I was unaware of in my everyday path.
Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am by far not the electrical board building/functionality expert.
I'd like to know more about how to go about this Arduino thing. Simple one-touch activation of some features greatly interests me. Windows, for one, ability to activate rear camera while not in R is another, and probably a hundred more I'm not even thinking of.
Is it something I am able to learn easily (have wired many vehicles with Painless, Ron Francis kits, fixed prior owner rat nests, etc.) with average-above avg 12V knowledge, or is this microprocessor, Capacitor, and/or coding knowledge I am in the dark about?
Oh man, step into my office buddy....
Arduinos are relatively easy to learn. They practically teach them in junior high nowadays. They have limited capabilities stock but there's tons of expansion modules. When you can buy 3 for $10, you'll end up using them for even the laziest things.
I have an off-brand Roomba and their 'keep out of this room' lighthouse shuts off after 2 hours. That's pretty useless for scheduled vacuuming, so I shoved an Arduino inside to turn the lighthouse off and back on every 90 minutes.

Biggest annoyance when dealing with cars is that it normally only accepts 5v inputs so get used to soldering resistors into a voltage divider.

Rolling down all windows can be accomplished one of two ways:
1) The Arduino, with relays, closes the same circuit that normally gets closed when you press each window button
2) If there's a can-bus message for rolling down windows, send those on the correct network.

I have an Arduino in my car for adding a front camera. When I press the '+' button on my shift knob, the Arduino sends a fake Reverse message to the radio to bring up the rear camera view, as well as switching a relay to connect the front camera to the video input. Pressing '-' will switch the relay to the rear camera. It's also set to monitor the current gear so reverse will always show the rear, regardless of my button presses. For extra flavor, I have it so long-pressing Eject turns on my heated seats / wheel, and long-pressing Power will turn the screen off. Here's the code I'm currently using to give you an idea. I'm hoping one day to find the proper Front Camera Request message Ford actually built into the radios instead of sending a fake reverse signal. Shockingly, random strangers at Kwik Trip don't want me hooking a canbus reader to their Explorer Platinum.

I previously had an Arduino hooked to a SIM module, connected to my spare keyfob. Send a text saying 'Start' and it'd press the correct buttons to remote start my car. Really handy in hotels when I'm out of the remote range. Unfortunately it ran on 2G which is being decomissioned so I'm trying to upgrade it to 4G. The code for the 2G version is easier to follow than my front camera one

My wife's car (2010 Mercury Milan) has the dealer-installed remote start kit which doesn't interact with climate. Another Arduino connected to can-bus here, if it detects a remote start condition (doors locked when powered on) it'll turn on the heated seats and rear defrost, take note of the current climate settings, turn on front defrost / full fan... then once the doors unlock it'll set the climate back to whatever state it was in before.

On the subject of video-in-motion / view reverse camera while driving...
I dabbled in it a bit. I was technically able to get it working, even, but not without some issues. Sync3 doesn't use the GPS all that much. It really uses your speed/direction information and occasionally checks the GPS for calibration. If you block the valid 'Car is in Drive' messages and replace it with a fake Reverse message, the navigation will stop moving. In the video, I simply replaced the Drive byte with Reverse. As a result, the navigation was running backwards at 30mph. Confusingly, when doing this the radio would stop playing music and switch to Night theme. I don't know if the Arduino just can't keep up or what the deal is.

Last edited:

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are there any real items that I should be thinking about so I don’t have a blank set of switches for perpetuity?
1) You will enjoy answering the question "what are those switches for". Almost everybody notices them and asks what they are for. It is very unsatisfying to have to answer "nothing". I once gave a ride to a military pilot who couldn't keep his eyes off them but didn't ask what they were for until the end...
2) Hooking up anything critical to them is a bad idea. In other words, no winch control. They get switched on by accident frequently. Although less likely in Bronco, since the sunglass holder is omitted!
3) The only truly useful things I have heard of are compressor, exhaust bypass, and lights. Most accessories you want to be switched on with vehicle - not a separate switch.
4) There are wireless aftermarket solutions for adding aux switches, so don't feel like you need to add them for some unknown future thing. Even worse is to add them for a future owner (you'll never get that money back).

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I had my JK, I didn't think I'd need a switch system because I only wanted one lightbar. After about a year, I ended up buying a Switch Pros SP-9100 MOSFET Aux switch panel because I went full retard on LED lights (I might have an LED fetish o_O).

I also had a 2007 F250 that had the small 4 switch panel. It wasn't connected to anything when I bought the the truck in 2018 but I ended up installing ditch lights and wiring it to the factory switch panel. I also used the switch panel to engage the "high idle mode" to help warm it up on cold mornings before I went to work.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you may not see a need for the $195 aux switch option right now, you might in the future and will be glad to have it versus installing your own harness and relays for accessories. Besides the Sasquatch package, the aux switch panel is the only other option I want on my manual base Bronco.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I had my JK, I didn't think I'd need a switch system because I only wanted one lightbar. After about a year, I ended up buying a Switch Pros SP-9100 MOSFET Aux switch panel because I went full retard on LED lights (I might have an LED fetish o_O).

I also had a 2007 F250 that had the small 4 switch panel. It wasn't connected to anything when I bought the the truck in 2018 but I ended up installing ditch lights and wiring it to the factory switch panel. I also used the switch panel to engage the "high idle mode" to help warm it up on cold mornings before I went to work.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you may not see a need for the $195 aux switch option right now, you might in the future and will be glad to have it versus installing your own harness and relays for accessories. Besides the Sasquatch package, the aux switch panel is the only other option I want on my manual base Bronco.
And the switch pros are are alot more $

Sponsored

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And the switch pros are are alot more $
Exactly. If my JK would of come with a factory aux switch option, I would of got it. I think the Rubicons come with them but mine was a base Sport.

I think $195 is a steal for a integrated factory switch panel.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

1 switch can be used for an aux blower motor for the rear hvac floor vents.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1 switch can be used for an aux blower motor for the rear hvac floor vents.
Sounds good conceptually. But could you provide more detail?

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2 other ideas for the Aux switches that you might use in NJ since not off-roading would be:

- Stealth mode (turns off rear tail/brake lights )
- use one, tow or three for garage door openers if not getting Lux package (just have to wire in your regular garage door opener)

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll add it for the next owner.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll add it for the next owner.
Maybe I will too - like I plan on doing with the rear locker. Then again - why should I care about the next owner when I most likely will just be trading the Bronco in.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll eventually end up with aftermarket bumpers with built-in lights. Probably a pair of yellow fogs and a pair of white driving lights in the front and a pair of white back-up lights in back. Still leaves 2 spots, not sure on those.

snoopcat

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Ford Mustang, Mazda CX5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like to add cooled seats if possible. Would these switches work for that?
Thanks!

CTwaterfowler

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
1 Switch for Pod lights
2 Switch for disconnect on rear brake/Lights when launching /retrieving duckboat
3-5 switch in tandem configuration for fuel pump shutoff -- theft prevention
Sponsored