Sponsored

Can a Bronco Be My Mid-Life Crisis Vehicle?

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Late life for me. I'm 67 in real life, 48 in my head. Saw the pix of top and doors of and a real suspension... I was in.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok, I will freely admit, never owned a Bronco, never even thought about a Bronco (except OJ Bronco of course) until I watched the reveal. Not necessarily an outdoors guy either, unless it's on or near a beach. When I saw it though, whew something flipped and I've started thinking weird things like camping, and off-roading and adventuring and all kinds of crazy stuff. Is this it? Am I hitting my mid-life crisis or is this just a cool truck and an evolution of me? Let the psychoanalysis begin.
It's kind of a midlife crisis (although I'm sure over the halfway point) for me too only difference is I have owned 4 Broncos in the past, 3 first gens and 1 second gen. But I gave up on Ford when they stop making the Bronco in 1977. The 1978-96 F150 Bronco version , well is an F-150 with a camper shell.

And I thought for sure Ford was gonna screw up this Bronco when they said they were bringing it back . And then I saw the videos of the new Broncos then I started missing my old one (1st gens), then I entered into midlife crisis, then made a reservation, then converted to order.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a bit past midlife (at least I hope I'll never be 112 years old, LOL) and I'd not call it a crisis, but one kid is off to college, the other one will be in 4 years and I want to have a fun vehicle after my trusty and super practical Tacoma. Always wanted a convertible, we had a Miata for a while, but I'm never going back to low to the ground cars, not with everybody around me driving giant SUVs and trucks and vans. And there are only two convertibles that sit up high. If it wasn't for Covid and the reveal, I'd have a Rubi sitting outside right now, was gonna buy one May 2020 for my b'day, but with nowhere to go to and nothing to do (and no trails or anything like that close to home) I didn't and once the reveal came and all the minor things I really don't like about the Wrangler were taken off the table I made a reservation that night.

Does it make any sense to spend 60k on a car? None. But I want it, I will take it off road, I will camp in the wild. Not as often as I'd like for now, but once I'm no longer tied into any school schedules I might just hop in and hit the road for a couple of weeks, see where the road takes me. No plan, just turning the wheels in the direction that looks interesting. Can't really do that with many other vehicles, certainly not convertibles. I want it, luckily we can afford it, I'm gonna have a blast and get out more than I do now, my 19 year old Taco is great, but not really fun to drive in any way. More practical for sure and I'm keeping it, but it doesn't even have a sun roof....

Sponsored

BME16

Black Diamond
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

16 year old me was dead set on a used Bronco Eddie Bauer, but just didn’t have enough money at the time. Ended up with a Ram 250, which was a great truck. Not mad.

After that got super into fun German cars so I owned several GTIs and BMWs, but always kinda missed having a 4WD vehicle. Then the Bronco reveal happened and it was perfect, removable top/doors, 7MT, IFS, steel wheels - I had to have one.

So yeah, not a huge outdoors guy but hoping this truck opens up more opportunities since midlife me has been more into that kind of thing. And it will close a loop too, so that’s fun.

Hopefully in 2021.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s both. Go for it. Enjoy.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I currently drive a Lincoln Nautilus. My lease is up in December. My dealer doesn’t think it’ll be a problem extending the lease until the first quarter of ‘22. I had an ‘85 Bronco II, but the short wheelbase made rollover a distinct possibility, so I traded it in. I think this new Bronco hits the sweet spot.

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No the engine is too small to qualify for a mid-life crisis. Maybe a 2 door 2.7 manual with no top nor doors.

Caiden16

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The first gen Bronco is just one of the coolest rides out there and to basically have one that’s new with today’s technology is a no brainer. It’s not necessarily a mid life crisis as much as being a kid looking at the toy catalog with money in your pocket. As far as everyone heading out into the wild, let’s be honest. A lot of people will… but most will cringe at the thought of trees and brush scraping down the sides of their new toy and most will forget as everyday life goes on. We all will be glad when they are here though, cool toy or mid life crises, call it what you want.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am down with 'The Mid-Life Crisis'. That is what I named my new Bronco after my wife call the 1970 "The Bank Robber'.

OP
OP
jkburg

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Depends, how old are you???
51. Got my second daughter leaving for college. Empty nester. Figuring out what’s next. Planning on moving in the next year. All kinds of stuff. Plus I got my red sports car when I was 22-Mits 3000GT so been there, done that. It’s just something new for me and that’s what I think makes it so cool and exciting.

Last edited:

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I will freely admit, never owned a Bronco, never even thought about a Bronco (except OJ Bronco of course) until I watched the reveal. Not necessarily an outdoors guy either, unless it's on or near a beach. When I saw it though, whew something flipped and I've started thinking weird things like camping, and off-roading and adventuring and all kinds of crazy stuff. Is this it? Am I hitting my mid-life crisis or is this just a cool truck and an evolution of me? Let the psychoanalysis begin.
Doesn’t sound so serious now....but if you find yourself starting to purchase things from the Filson catalog or including DIO options under your loan...we can schedule an intervention.
Sponsored