Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking to educate myself.

Also, What does the Eco-Boost do on a manual transmission?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, there is nothing to tune in a manual transmission (from the standpoint of the ECU affecting the transmission), however, everything else can be tuned.

OP
OP

WarDamnBravos

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, there is nothing to tune in a manual transmission (from the standpoint of the ECU affecting the transmission), however, everything else can be tuned.
As in hardware vs software I’m assuming?
When people say a tune adds 30/50/75 HP, is that not the case? It’s just adjusting shifting behavior?

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

a manual transmission can be adjusted, depending upon linkage, shift lever length, clutch disengagement methods, but the shift points are user actuated. in essence the driver decides what gear to take off in, how long to allow the revs to peak before upshifts and when if at all to downshift, allowing the engine to rev into it's powerband during acceleration while in motion. as far as any ECU related controls relating to a manual transmission maybe the presence of a shift light, which was more used to aid in gaining fuel economy by short shifting...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The actual transmission no, but the engine can be tuned specifically for a manual transmission. Rev lag can be removed for the most part.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As in hardware vs software I’m assuming?
When people say a tune adds 30/50/75 HP, is that not the case? It’s just adjusting shifting behavior?
generally a tune is changing the fuel map or timing of the engine similar to how the engine's max power increases changing the fuel from regular to premium. engines are regularly tuned to remain in a safe zone, but tuning can gain power, but it also reduces the margin of safety, which may compromise engine longevity.

this is a brief summary of what happens in an engine during operation. gasoline is used a s a coolant inside combustion chambers. the more heat in a combustion chamber the more power is released. when the heat gets too high, the pistons and valves get too hot and begin to fail. literally portions of the pistons and valves can melt also referred to as burn, causing engine failure.

so, a tune can raise power, but you do it at the cost (potentially) of lost longevity.

now for the responses from everyone who says the tunes are 100% safe, and don't think i know what i am talking about because they read it on a forum somewhere, and ford's engineers had no clue what they were doing...

Last edited:

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
The actual transmission no, but the engine can be tuned specifically for a manual transmission. Rev lag can be removed for the most part.
This. You are the tune. Keep it at the RPMs you want it at...

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great information.
What does the Eco-Boost do on a manual transmission?
eco boost is nothing than another way of saying turbo charged... when the engine is running in low stress situations, it is eco---- when it needs to exert power the boost kicks in... (oversimplified explanation)...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This. You are the tune. Keep it at the RPMs you want it at...
Well, yes and no. You are the transmission, but you can’t get around the rev lag without a tune. I miss a mechanical throttle, but it’s nice being able to tune an electronic one to the drivers desires. Getting rid of the rev lag almost makes the electronic throttles perfect.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This explains rev lag better than I can and how you can tune it out for a manual. My Tacoma hangs for over a second on any rpms over 2500, so it’s nice to get rid of it.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, yes and no. You are the transmission, but you can’t get around the rev lag without a tune. I miss a mechanical throttle, but it’s nice being able to tune an electronic one to the drivers desires. Getting rid of the rev lag almost makes the electronic throttles perfect.
To be honest, this is way over my head. Once I know a vehicle I learn the shift points and don't need the clutch except for take off and stopping. That's old school mechanical, I know. I thought that if you kept the revs up the turbo would remain wound up to an extent? Please dumb it down for me...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To be honest, this is way over my head. Once I know a vehicle I learn the shift points and don't need the clutch except for take off and stopping. That's old school mechanical, I know. I thought that if you kept the revs up the turbo would remain wound up to an extent? Please dumb it down for me...
Rev lag is like shifting without ever letting off the gas. Using the clutch softens the blow, but it’s like you never got off the throttle while shifting. A typical smooth shift in my Tacoma takes 2 seconds. A one second shift is pretty harsh and a shift without the clutch is like never letting off while shifting.

That’s my Tacoma. I have no idea how the Bronco will be and if it will even be noticeable. My guess is it’s not an issue as there haven’t been any reports of it, but as the engines gets older and emissions get worse, it may be an issue. IDK.

In general terms though, a tune can or may help with a manual transmission overall function while not actually doing anything to the transmission.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This explains rev lag better than I can and how you can tune it out for a manual. My Tacoma hangs for over a second on any rpms over 2500, so it’s nice to get rid of it.

That was a well-done video. It is a skill to explain complicated processes like this in simple terms and that guy did it very well. Thanks for posting!

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Slightly off topic, does your Tacoma rev hang in all gears or just certain ones? Mine hangs only on 4-5 shift primarily when I'm on it entering freeways and north of 3k rpm wise off the top of my head. It's not noticeable shifting through everything else. I also have a 2nd gen so maybe if you have a 3rd gen with newer emissions that might be it.
Sponsored