Sponsored

Can someone exlain wheels and tires in layman's terms?

STRATUS

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, C8 Corvette Spyder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
At risk of sounding totally foolish, can someone please explain wheel and tire sizes, offset, etc., in terms that would make sense to a 3rd grader? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can’t explain it any better than what you’d find using a search engine:

ED4312C3-11FF-472D-9C44-1EA9E4E655B1.jpeg

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At risk of sounding totally foolish, can someone please explain wheel and tire sizes, offset, etc., in terms that would make sense to a 3rd grader? Thanks!
This may help - (I asked a smart person about running 37's on a SAS model)

Offset is a measurement that all wheels have. It determines the location of the wheels mounting pad. Here's a good write-up that I put together that will help make sense of it:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wheel-offset-and-backspace-how-do-they-relate.9910/

Offset is not good or bad per se, although I guess it could be considered bad if the incorrect offset is used with the intended tire size. Tire size, wheel width and offset all play a role in the overall fitment based on the vehicles suspension and wheel well clearance.

You can run 37's on the factory SAS wheels, but at near full lock of the wheel the tires will make minor contact with the vehicle frame. You shouldn't have nay rubbing on suspension components though. Here's thread from the forum that goes into this exact fitment:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...atch-bronco-straight-off-the-transport.19784/

It's important to note that 37's are the max size. If you plan to rock crawl with your rig you may want to consider a leveling kit to gain some articulation. In stock form, articulation will be limited with 37's

Sponsored
OP
OP
STRATUS

STRATUS

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, C8 Corvette Spyder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This may help - (I asked a smart person about running 37's on a SAS model)

Offset is a measurement that all wheels have. It determines the location of the wheels mounting pad. Here's a good write-up that I put together that will help make sense of it:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/wheel-offset-and-backspace-how-do-they-relate.9910/

Offset is not good or bad per se, although I guess it could be considered bad if the incorrect offset is used with the intended tire size. Tire size, wheel width and offset all play a role in the overall fitment based on the vehicles suspension and wheel well clearance.

You can run 37's on the factory SAS wheels, but at near full lock of the wheel the tires will make minor contact with the vehicle frame. You shouldn't have nay rubbing on suspension components though. Here's thread from the forum that goes into this exact fitment:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...atch-bronco-straight-off-the-transport.19784/

It's important to note that 37's are the max size. If you plan to rock crawl with your rig you may want to consider a leveling kit to gain some articulation. In stock form, articulation will be limited with 37's
Excellent! Thanks!!!!

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Folks mention frame rubbing at full steering lock…does the Bronco not have adjustable steering stops?
(Don’t have my BL yet, but I’m used to adjusting steering stops on old LRs)

iamcris

Badlands
First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Folks mention frame rubbing at full steering lock…does the Bronco not have adjustable steering stops?
(Don’t have my BL yet, but I’m used to adjusting steering stops on old LRs)
Or slow down, it tightens the radius.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All kinds of information available at many tire based web sites.
My current fav ...
https://tiresize.com/chart/
They even have a tab labeled "education".
Sponsored