Sponsored

Can Someone Explain Big Bend? (Not trolling)

30ips

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really am not looking to troll anyone or disparage anybody’s choices, I’m just wondering if I’m completely missing something.

It seems to me that for 4400 bucks above the base, what you’re really buying is the right to buy more stuff that you can’t get on the base, like a locker, like the mid package. I see there are a couple of actual things that you get: leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights, privacy glass, slightly larger tires and rims. Also a different grill.

But those items certainly don’t equal 4400 bucks, so I’m wondering if the price is simply a fee you have to pay to enable access to more features that you also have to pay for. Did I miss something?

Again, I’m not trolling and I’m not trying to start any crap, I’m genuinely interested in understanding this a little bit better. Is the base model really a loss leader for them? Is this the real true pricing of what this truck should cost?
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I really am not looking to troll anyone or disparage anybody’s choices, I’m just wondering if I’m completely missing something.

It seems to me that for 4400 bucks above the base, what you’re really buying is the right to buy more stuff that you can’t get on the base, like a locker, like the mid package. I see there are a couple of actual things that you get: leather wrapped steering wheel, fog lights, privacy glass, slightly larger tires and rims. Also a different grill.

But those items certainly don’t equal 4400 bucks, so I’m wondering if the price is simply a fee you have to pay to enable access to more features that you also have to pay for. Did I miss something?

Again, I’m not trolling and I’m not trying to start any crap, I’m genuinely interested in understanding this a little bit better. Is the base model really a loss leader for them? Is this the real true pricing of what this truck should cost?
You got it. They want you out of Base. Pay the toll and you can start moving up the ladder.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

Yes.

Ford watched Jeep do this to Wrangler buyers over the years for the base Sport to Sport S jump.

And ya know what?
The majority of buyers payed that $5000 extra and add only a $600 tow package.

To summarize: $5600 over base for:
Aluminum rims.
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter.
Satin chrome painted plastic interior trim bits.
Air conditioning.
A sticker on the quarter panels that shows that you weren't one of the Poors, who bought a base model.

Ford learned this lesson very well with the Big Bend.

Sponsored

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you aren’t going Sasquatch, I think a lot of people would pay quite a bit just to move up in wheel and tire size.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pay to play.
Base 2dr is probably a loss leader and BB is the correction.

B. Ron CO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This thread on price differences between models may be interesting. Note how 4 Door plot is very linear from Base to Badlands and the 2 Door plot is very linear from Big Bend to Badlands. But there is a greater than linear jump from 2 Door Base on up.

In short, the Base 2 Door is lower than expected based on the price curves, making bigger price increases from both 2 Door Base to Big Bend as well as Base 2 Door to 4 Door.

General consensus seems to be that the pricing of Base 2 Door is to keep cost under $30K with destination even though the price is lower than it should be (or lower than Ford would actually like to price it).

OP
OP
30ips

30ips

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you aren’t going Sasquatch, I think a lot of people would pay quite a bit just to move up in wheel and tire size.
You can get aftermarket wheels and tires of your choice for considerably less, though. I’ve tried to justify it because I want the factory locker, but it’s tough to pay more primarily for the right to buy more stuff.

Sponsored

JAM

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just like Jeep does with the Wrangler. You have to jump from a Sport to a Sport S just to have the option to get a/c and power windows and locks.
Am I mistaken? I thought base bronco came with a/c and power windows? I can’t believe any vehicle made these days doesn’t have a/c.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pay to play.
Base 2dr is probably a loss leader and BB is the correction.
No.

Wrangler and Ram sales are what are keeping FCA afloat right now.

If Jeep isn't losing money, Ford won't either.