First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not trying to sound like an abrasive guy, but It has been discussed in probably a dozen threads already.
The older version of the MIC top I saw in person had a lot of texture to it. Identical to the grain and texture in a lot of aftermarket speaker pod Harley parts I have painted in the past.
I did everything textbook perfect with adhesion promoter, scotchbrite (sanding will reduce the texture in an uneven manner unless you sand ALL the texture off and featherfill prime, block sand it), etc. Some adhered just fine and looked good, some failed.

The newer version no one has seen in person yet other than the people on here who actually work at the factory.
The grain looks considerably less.
At the end of the day, everything can be painted, in theory.
I have begun using Tamco products, and they swear they have a primer that will adhere to anything, even chrome.
Until I try it myself I can't attest to that or defend it.
IF that is the case, in theory you should be able to scotch the whole thing, apply this primer (with some adhesion promoter to be safe), sand, and paint and be just fine.
I have done many Jeep tops in my day, both in paint and bedlining.
No failures, but their top in a considerably smoother surface (and what appears to be a different plastic) than what i saw in October at the TN show.

I can say 100% dipping it, plasti-dip, and wrapping are not going to end well just due to the grain. Your two solutions are really a urethane-based quality bedline material or paint based on the above assumptions.
I've heard about them and have a co-worker that swears by them, but I would approach their claims about adhesion with caution, since most automotive epoxy primers have decent adhesion to stuff like chrome/glass. (my experience is with the PPG DP- epoxy primers and having to turn a chrome bumper into a painted one)

Outside of that, I'm really hesitant to suggest painting or bedliner spraying the MiC top because of it's composition and unknown adhesion, even with adhesion promoters and proper prep.

If someone was really serious about it, and with the current version's finer/smaller texture, I would strongly recommend using a Dip Your Car dip kit.

It's not exactly cheap, but it could be a decent alternative and wouldn't ruin the top, if things didn't go well, and it can be removed.

Matte white medium Dip Kit with gun.

(I did medium kit with the 4-door in mind and to possibly have some left over in case of an 'oops' occurring)

I wish I had experience with this stuff, but sadly, I don't.
Sponsored

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 F250, ā€˜88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait for dipyourcar to try it out themselves first or get a wrap. Or go full redneck and spray paint it crummy camo or black with a big red 3 on it. Whatever you do, please let us know how it works out and share pictures
Ford Bronco Can the  2 dr MIC hardtop be painted? F9EFE27C-4B08-46A7-9428-9414E59A2D8B

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't dip a textured surface or wrap a MIC top. One, dip is garbage. Two, when it does adhere in the interstitial texture spaces it's going to be an absolute nightmare to remove. Wrapping is probably going to have a similar issue with surface adhesion vs low texture spots, but I haven't worked with it enough to be sure.

I'd be willing to bet it's going to be an all or nothing: either paint it or leave it alone.

My Bronco hardtop will be tan, no matter what bullshit I have to do to get it there, so hopefully @broadicustomworks figures out a primer/color brand combo that works. My TJ hardtop was a similar project facing the same problems, so I don't expect this to be the rocket surgery people are making it out to be.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a hard time believing that a wrap would work on such a rough surface
itā€™ll Work. Iā€™ve used it on similar surfaces, and it will definitely work and stick better than paint

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What? Doing this correctly would definitely not cost $60 and would not take only an hour. You clearly know nothing about vinyl installation because if you did you would know it only comes in 5ā€™ rolls.
Agreed. A wild exaggeration at best.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Plenty of owners will ruin their tops in the pursuit of a solution and many pros will tackle the issue as well. I'd just stick with the tried-and-true Wait and See approach. It's just a matter of time before an effective process is found.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, the 2 door MIC top cannot be painted, only the 4 door MIC top can be painted šŸ˜†

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not trying to sound like an abrasive guy, but It has been discussed in probably a dozen threads already.
The older version of the MIC top I saw in person had a lot of texture to it. Identical to the grain and texture in a lot of aftermarket speaker pod Harley parts I have painted in the past.
I did everything textbook perfect with adhesion promoter, scotchbrite (sanding will reduce the texture in an uneven manner unless you sand ALL the texture off and featherfill prime, block sand it), etc. Some adhered just fine and looked good, some failed.

The newer version no one has seen in person yet other than the people on here who actually work at the factory.
The grain looks considerably less.
At the end of the day, everything can be painted, in theory.
I have begun using Tamco products, and they swear they have a primer that will adhere to anything, even chrome.
Until I try it myself I can't attest to that or defend it.
IF that is the case, in theory you should be able to scotch the whole thing, apply this primer (with some adhesion promoter to be safe), sand, and paint and be just fine.
I have done many Jeep tops in my day, both in paint and bedlining.
No failures, but their top in a considerably smoother surface (and what appears to be a different plastic) than what i saw in October at the TN show.

I can say 100% dipping it, plasti-dip, and wrapping are not going to end well just due to the grain. Your two solutions are really a urethane-based quality bedline material or paint based on the above assumptions.
I am looking forward to you figuring this out on someone else's Bronco. Then I'll come see you to get it done on mine.
Sponsored