Sponsored

Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire?

Daiss21

Wildtrak
First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD-Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am planning on putting 37s on at some point and was just wondering if anyone knows if the stock spare tire mount can support a 37?
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably too early for us to know for sure. Seems like something we will figure out from trial and error. We just don’t know if Ford has intended to use the same tailgate hinges and tire mount for the Warthog’s 37’s or if something more/different is required.

If you’re going to run it hard, I would say plan to upgrade the tailgate hinge at the very least and consider a swing away carrier connected to the bumper. If it’s just for looks, you might be able to get away with it stock, but don’t be surprised if you get some rattles.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? F958C4E0-40FF-4AAD-B354-D502B9FC5C65

Ford did it with the concept.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like Ford is doing it for now, but do you really want that much weight hanging on those two hinges forever? I'd be looking at a good high clearance rear bumper with swingout carrier for tire and jerry can. That's what I'm planning for my 34s, because I just can't see 10 years of use being a good thing on that back gate.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
F958C4E0-40FF-4AAD-B354-D502B9FC5C65.jpeg

Ford did it with the concept.
That concept also couldn't drive. It moved at a walking pace using an electric motor.

That concept also showed a lot of stuff we can't actually have in real life.

We've also seen pre-pros with sagging tailgates already.

I wouldn't count on it being able to support a 37 long term if used as intended. Then again, we know they are testing 37s on the warthog. We won't know for sure until people start doing it. I'm hoping to find out pretty early on

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That concept also couldn't drive. It moved at a walking pace using an electric motor.

That concept also showed a lot of stuff we can't actually have in real life.

We've also seen pre-pros with sagging tailgates already.

I wouldn't count on it being able to support a 37 long term if used as intended. Then again, we know they are testing 37s on the warthog. We won't know for sure until people start doing it. I'm hoping to find out pretty early on
I was just saying that they did it for the concept. Tire mount looks to telescope out for 37s (and in for smaller sizes). I’ll trust that the Ford engineers figured out the strength part of it.

Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? 1613922759183

Stretched out for 37s.

Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? 1613922800290

Normal position for 35s. You can also see the holes for smaller sizes on the brake light bar.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like Ford is doing it for now, but do you really want that much weight hanging on those two hinges forever? I'd be looking at a good high clearance rear bumper with swingout carrier for tire and jerry can. That's what I'm planning for my 34s, because I just can't see 10 years of use being a good thing on that back gate.
I agree. That’s too much weight to be bouncing around on trails with the factory mount. Plus, it would also need to have the light relocated. This is an example of something that “will work”, at least in the short term, but is not ideal and may not last very long.

Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? 521D3C07-F147-4CEE-8A2A-70B20FF35FC5

Photo source: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...banks-2-door-build-by-4wp-on-37s-tires.12414/

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't, but I bet it could do it for mall-crawling duty since they're engineering it to be warranted for 35 in tires for 36 months.

I put a 35 in tire on a stock JK mount and with low-speed off-roading and daily driving it was totally fine. It was a Jeep... shit always rattled anyway.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't, but I bet it could do it for mall-crawling duty since they're engineering it to be warranted for 35 in tires for 36 months.

I put a 35 in tire on a stock JK mount and with low-speed off-roading and daily driving it was totally fine. It was a Jeep... shit always rattled anyway.
I also ran a 35 spare on my JKU, but it was a lighter than most set up. I would not have felt comfortable with a heavier wheel/tire mounted on there. The biggest concern for me was the hinges. The is a ton of documented tailgate sag issues out there.

The after-market world will surely start developing upgraded hinge mounts and brake light relocation kits like below:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-alpha-hd-hinged-carrier-adjustable-tire-mounting-kit

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Genuine-82215349-Mounted-Relocation/dp/B07NQKHXVN

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was just saying that they did it for the concept. Tire mount looks to telescope out for 37s (and in for smaller sizes). I’ll trust that the Ford engineers figured out the strength part of it.
From a design standpoint, the hinge does not look long/tall enough to support the weight of a 37" spare. Will the centermount, on aluminum skin, help carry the load, unlikely, is there a steel skeleton frame within the tailgate to carry the load, unknown. Also, it does not appear the stock bumper will allow for a 37" spare as the 35" shown below is right to the bumper.

dsc-2368-1594681676-jpg.jpg

img_3991-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From a design standpoint, the hinge does not look long/tall enough to support the weight of a 37" spare. Will the centermount, on aluminum skin, help carry the load, unlikely, is there a steel skeleton frame within the tailgate to carry the load, unknown. Also, it does not appear the stock bumper will allow for a 37" spare as the 35" shown below is right to the bumper.

Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? img_3991-

Ford Bronco Can the spare tire mount support a 37inch tire? img_3991-
Interesting. I would hope that Ford would take your analysis into consideration. It’s got to at least make it 3 years with 35s or Ford will have some pissed off owners making warranty claims. 😂

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From a design standpoint, the hinge does not look long/tall enough to support the weight of a 37" spare.
So comparing BFGs as an example, the 37x12.50 is 5 pounds heavier than the 35x12.50. Assuming the same wheel...what that percentage difference? About 5%. And by eyeballing it, you think the hinges designed for 35s are not “long or tall enough” to handle a 5% increase in weight? That’s some tight engineering right up to the line...

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So comparing BFGs as an example, the 37x12.50 is 5 pounds heavier than the 35x12.50. Assuming the same wheel...what that percentage difference? About 5%. And by eyeballing it, you think the hinges designed for 35s are not “long or tall enough” to handle a 5% increase in weight? That’s some tight engineering right up to the line...
The 35" KO2 is 63 lbs (315/70/17) maybe similar to the Goodyear's we don't have specs on yet.

Looking at alternatives, specs from tiresize.com:

35/12.5/17 KO2 is 66.5 lbs, 5% heavier than the 35"

35/12.5/17 KM3 is 74 lbs, 15% heavier than the 35"

37/12.5/17 KO2 is 71 lbs, 11% heavier than the 35"

37/12.5/17 KM3 is 77 lbs, 18% heavier than the 35"

Since Ford couldn't limit people to what 35" tire they may use I'ill make the assumption the engineers allowed for the 15% heavier 35/12.5/17 KM3 in their design margins.

This does seem to be pushing it in light of the pre-production sagging we have seen. Maybe they will beef it up for the production versions.

I would not want to be the first one to try a 37" spare which also may require an aftermarket bumper for clearance.
Sponsored

Last edited: