Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good Morning,

New Bronco owner, coming from Jeep solid axle world. I couldn’t find this specific answer and wanted to verify - Can you install the height adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks, adjusting them to lift the vehicle 1.5”, and still retain the non-Sas springs that come on the Black Diamond? What would be the effect of re-using the stock springs, if you can safely? Is it negligible? Will this set-up perform reliably offroad (more so than spring spacer lifts)?

I know coilover kits are best. They are out of my price range for at least a year. I’d like to avoid the spring spacers given I do hit moderate trails (up to level 6 on general ratings typically). The stock BD height is just a little too short for the trails I want to hit out west. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My local shop just ordered 5100s for my base 4 door, and will be using the factory coils.

In fact, the instructions on the Bilstein website for the coil-over assembly have details on which clips to use and how much lift you’ll get reusing your factory coils depending on standard, Badlands, or Sasquatch stock starting point.

Front:
https://productdesk.cart.bilsteinus.com//media/products/bilstein/E4-WM5-Y698A00_2.pdf

Rear:
https://productdesk.cart.bilsteinus.com//media/products/bilstein/E4-WM5-Y699A00_3.pdf

OP
OP
tucktato

tucktato

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome, thank you. It seemed this was the case from combing the boards. But wanted to be completely sure. Am I correct in assuming the 6100 series Bilsteins with the larger diameter shock (60mm I believe) will not fit with these stock springs? Websites seem to indicate they are for Sas of BL only.

Also, this seems a marginally more expensive upgrade than spring spacers. Is there a reason people on a budget don’t seem to go this route more often for small lift and better offroad performance?

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First, I think you’re right that 6100s will not work with base suspension unless you also buy new coils. At that point there are other better options for the money.

I’m not sure why people are sleeping on the relatively inexpensive 5100 lift, but I have a couple hunches.

1. People who only want 1-2 inches of lift also want a level and they don’t actually off-road. It’s purely cosmetic. They don’t know or don’t care that there is a better performance option out there for only a few hundred bucks more.

2. People that are actually into wheeling want to go huge. It’s the “go big or go home” mentality. So those people jump straight to Fox or Icon with all new everything.

3. There’s a sense that because Sasquatch comes with Bilstein, people “upgrading” will want the next step up. The shop I went to explained to me they’re usually taking the stock Bilsteins off for something more extreme, so initially the conversation didn’t go to the 5100 option when he was advising me.

The facts for me are that I will likely never go bigger than 33” tires and I’m not into hard core crawling… but I do go mild off-roading. I can get 1.5 inches of lift (enough to clear 35s) for a third of the cost of the fancy stuff.

At first I was looking for Sasquatch take off parts then realized brand new 5100s are less expensive and more adjustable. Sasquatch is 1.1 inches taller than standard, and has a bump stop to limit travel so the 35” wheels don’t rub. 5100s at perch #2 are lifted 1.5 inches front and back, maintain factory rake, should fully clear 35s if I decide to go there, and are the closest equivalent to sas setup without going sas.

OP
OP
tucktato

tucktato

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First, I think you’re right that 6100s will not work with base suspension unless you also buy new coils. At that point there are other better options for the money.

I’m not sure why people are sleeping on the relatively inexpensive 5100 lift, but I have a couple hunches.

1. People who only want 1-2 inches of lift also want a level and they don’t actually off-road. It’s purely cosmetic. They don’t know or don’t care that there is a better performance option out there for only a few hundred bucks more.

2. People that are actually into wheeling want to go huge. It’s the “go big or go home” mentality. So those people jump straight to Fox or Icon with all new everything.

3. There’s a sense that because Sasquatch comes with Bilstein, people “upgrading” will want the next step up. The shop I went to explained to me they’re usually taking the stock Bilsteins off for something more extreme, so initially the conversation didn’t go to the 5100 option when he was advising me.

The facts for me are that I will likely never go bigger than 33” tires and I’m not into hard core crawling… but I do go mild off-roading. I can get 1.5 inches of lift (enough to clear 35s) for a third of the cost of the fancy stuff.

At first I was looking for Sasquatch take off parts then realized brand new 5100s are less expensive and more adjustable. Sasquatch is 1.1 inches taller than standard, and has a bump stop to limit travel so the 35” wheels don’t rub. 5100s at perch #2 are lifted 1.5 inches front and back, maintain factory rake, should fully clear 35s if I decide to go there, and are the closest equivalent to sas setup without going sas.
Thanks! All this has been really helpful. Was able to track down a set of these shocks and having them installed next week with the +30 offset 35s. Trying to figure out if 1 inch lift on these will be enough for moderate off-roading or if I have to go 1.5".

Sponsored

Mzekew

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks! All this has been really helpful. Was able to track down a set of these shocks and having them installed next week with the +30 offset 35s. Trying to figure out if 1 inch lift on these will be enough for moderate off-roading or if I have to go 1.5".
My 5100s just arrived and will be installed on 11/7. I’m in the same boat trying to determine which heights to go with.

I was initially thinking 1 inch rear and 1.5 front to take some of the factory rake out but not totally level it. After stewing on it for a couple weeks I’ve landed on perch #3 for both, which is 1.75” in the back and 2” in the front. That leaves 0.75-0.85” rake and will sit not quite an inch taller than Sasquatch. Figured if I was spending the money I might as well get it a tad higher than anything available stock.

Also, the factory Sasquatch may only be 1.1” taller than standard suspension, but it also has a restrictive bump stop on the coil-overs to eliminate rubbing. If you go a little taller you will be sure not to have that issue with the 5100s full range of travel.

I’ll try to remember to post pics when it’s done. Tires and lift aren’t happening at the same time for me, so I can document the iterative changes.

kcbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
New here and have been doing a lot of reading. Glad you asked this question its exactly the route I'm looking for. I have a 4 door BD adding 285 75 17 toyos today and would like to get into the lift range of a BL or SAS. The one part I can't seem to find the answer to go with this is do you need to do anything with the rear track bar or upper control arms.

OP
OP
tucktato

tucktato

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

New here and have been doing a lot of reading. Glad you asked this question its exactly the route I'm looking for. I have a 4 door BD adding 285 75 17 toyos today and would like to get into the lift range of a BL or SAS. The one part I can't seem to find the answer to go with this is do you need to do anything with the rear track bar or upper control arms.
Not from what people have advised me. I’m getting this setup installed tomorrow with 35s. I’ll let you know if I have any issues.

kcbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not from what people have advised me. I’m getting this setup installed tomorrow with 35s. I’ll let you know if I have any issues.
That would be great and I always like pictures. I had 285/75r17 toyos put on today. The dealership was trying to talk me into the ford performance 2" lift kit but they know what they want for it.

OP
OP
tucktato

tucktato

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bilstein 5100's installed and I love the setup. Highly recommend as a low cost lift alternative. I had them set to 1.5" Front/1.4" Rear (Circlip #2). Still easy to get into without step bars (I'm 6"). RTR wheels are +30 offset and the BFG KO2s are 315/70R17. Everything looks great, a touch of poke. No rub (4WP big tire crash bars installed), and drives great. No more brake dive like the Hitachi's had. Holds turns better. I haven't been offroad with them yet. But they drive with the same dense feel (I wouldn't say stiff) that I've had with all my previous Bilsteins on Jeeps. Heading to Moab to work them next weekend. So I'll find out the offroad performance then. Hope it helps.

Ford Bronco Can You Re-use Non-Sas Springs with Bilstein 5100 Height Adjusted Shocks IMG_0044

Ford Bronco Can You Re-use Non-Sas Springs with Bilstein 5100 Height Adjusted Shocks IMG_0045

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great!

For reference, I have 6100s installed on my Badsquatch (retaining OEM SAS springs and 35" tires), gaining a 2" lift up front and 1.5" rear, both set at the highest (6th) setting on the shock body (I have a winch installed, so the front's a bit lower than they would've been). I trail and rock-crawl effectively with this setup.

For around $1,000/set, it's a great alternative to an expensive coilover upgrade, for close to the same amount of height increase.

Ford Bronco Can You Re-use Non-Sas Springs with Bilstein 5100 Height Adjusted Shocks PXL_20221013_172932489

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bilstein 5100's installed and I love the setup. Highly recommend as a low cost lift alternative. I had them set to 1.5" Front/1.4" Rear (Circlip #2). Still easy to get into without step bars (I'm 6"). RTR wheels are +30 offset and the BFG KO2s are 315/70R17. Everything looks great, a touch of poke. No rub (4WP big tire crash bars installed), and drives great. No more brake dive like the Hitachi's had. Holds turns better. I haven't been offroad with them yet. But they drive with the same dense feel (I wouldn't say stiff) that I've had with all my previous Bilsteins on Jeeps. Heading to Moab to work them next weekend. So I'll find out the offroad performance then. Hope it helps.

Ford Bronco Can You Re-use Non-Sas Springs with Bilstein 5100 Height Adjusted Shocks PXL_20221013_172932489

With setting #2 front and rear does it still maintain some factory rake? I'm planning on going this route for a lift and suspension upgrade and can't decide between #1 and #2 position. I load up with mountain bikes and camping gear often and don't want the rear end to squat when loaded up, plus I'm only going up to 33" tires when I run through the Grabbers.

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good Morning,

New Bronco owner, coming from Jeep solid axle world. I couldn’t find this specific answer and wanted to verify - Can you install the height adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks, adjusting them to lift the vehicle 1.5”, and still retain the non-Sas springs that come on the Black Diamond? What would be the effect of re-using the stock springs, if you can safely? Is it negligible? Will this set-up perform reliably offroad (more so than spring spacer lifts)?

I know coilover kits are best. They are out of my price range for at least a year. I’d like to avoid the spring spacers given I do hit moderate trails (up to level 6 on general ratings typically). The stock BD height is just a little too short for the trails I want to hit out west. Thanks in advance.
You definitely can reuse the stock springs, and in my experience, they work a lot better with a little extra preload since they are longer than your stockers.

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great!

For reference, I have 6100s installed on my Badsquatch (retaining OEM SAS springs and 35" tires), gaining a 2" lift up front and 1.5" rear, both set at the highest (6th) setting on the shock body (I have a winch installed, so the front's a bit lower than they would've been). I trail and rock-crawl effectively with this setup.

For around $1,000/set, it's a great alternative to an expensive coilover upgrade, for close to the same amount of height increase.

6100s are definitely worth the extra money over the 5100s in my opinion for sure. If you do not already have the stock Bilsteins you can also get the 6112s which are the same thing but with a spring. They also are capable of a little more lift with the longer springs they include.

kcbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bilstein 5100's installed and I love the setup. Highly recommend as a low cost lift alternative. I had them set to 1.5" Front/1.4" Rear (Circlip #2). Still easy to get into without step bars (I'm 6").
Looks great. I've had the 285s for a few weeks now and the 5100s are in the back of the Bronco ready to go on. I didn't feel like tackling it myself and have an appointment next week. It is nice to see pictures so you know what it will look like ahead of time. That 1.5 setting turned out great.
Sponsored