Sponsored

Can you swap taillights between Bronco trims?

Miamibronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The age old debate. Standard or LED taillights / headlights for your new Bronco. Im an LED trapped in a standard body with my CO BD. 😂

Is it possible to switch them from Standard to LED and viceversa? Or are the trims with precise dimension that it wouldn’t allow for a swap? Same going for the headlights.
Pics for comparison below:

FBBC60CE-672B-4759-83AB-5C8BE2C269B5.jpeg

6A1A7C0D-FB97-42EF-A118-94058D8B93FE.jpeg
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Age old debate for sure.

Somewhere there is a thread where someone on the inside posted the plug/pin out differences between the two.

Someone is bound to come into this thread and say the BLIS sensors are in the lights (because they are in the ranger), but they’re not. They’re behind the plastic trim below the lights.

Short answer: They’ll be swappable, but we’re not sure yet if you’ll need an adaptor or cut and splice the plug, or what vehicle programming may need to be changed (by the dealer or ForSCAN when that becomes a thing, which it isn’t yet).

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Age old debate for sure.

Somewhere there is a thread where someone on the inside posted the plug/pin out differences between the two.

Someone is bound to come into this thread and say the BLIS sensors are in the lights (because they are in the ranger), but they’re not. They’re behind the plastic trim below the lights.

Short answer: They’ll be swappable, but we’re not sure yet if you’ll need an adaptor or cut and splice the plug, or what vehicle programming may need to be changed (by the dealer or ForSCAN when that becomes a thing, which it isn’t yet).
@Miamibronco

That thread had @618TRVLWILD mentioning someone at the Ferd electronics research place... With some type of actual evidence too.

I think Ashley is on vacation but that should be enough info to start your Google search with.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Age old debate for sure.

That insider was Ashley's cousin who works for the manufacturer of the lights. They had confirmed the connections were different.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This swap may be problematic without knowing if the non-led circuit is capable of PWM. Housing swap, definitely, being able to make factory LED work with non-LED body control module (BCM) mostly doubtful at this point.

C410/C411 is the inside (Molex MX150 sealed 20 cavity) connector and is the same on both LED and non-LED. Same with C414/C415 however, this is a 6 cavity (I think Molex) that the locating tabs are keyed. Got the number written down somewhere but regardless, with plug into both styles of lights. There are some differences in both wiring set ups but not sure if they can be easily made to function in either swap direction.

Ford Bronco Can you swap taillights between Bronco trims? 1625569484527

Ford Bronco Can you swap taillights between Bronco trims? 1625569532475

Sponsored

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My cousin only manufactures the headlights, which is North American Lighting. He does not do the taillights. They come from someone else.

The headlights have different pins and basically brains..so I do not know if the tails are the same or not.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most led lamps come with their own internal driver boards. So all it needs is the voltage. I'm sure they will be able to be swapped, with worst case being you need a new harness

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most led lamps come with their own internal driver boards. So all it needs is the voltage. I'm sure they will be able to be swapped, with worst case being you need a new harness
I bet you’ll need to flip the check in the BCM to let it know there are LED taillights and not to rapid flash thinking it’s a burnt out incandescent

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet you’ll need to flip the check in the BCM to let it know there are LED taillights and not to rapid flash thinking it’s a burnt out incandescent
True

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

8th thread maybe. And again, just go to Headlight Revolution for all your LED replacement needs. Great site. Thanks to @Megawatt wherever she went.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, probably, but it'll be less a pain to just wait for aftermarket lights.....
yep. Some things are either too difficult, too expensive or too dangerous to DIY.
Sponsored