Sponsored

Can you wire dash cam to auxiliary switch?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am looking into the possibility to wire my dash camera to the Bronco Auxillary switch using the wire that is preran above the passenger side visor. Is this something that is able to be done or would the dash camera need a different power source? In the past I usually use the hardwire kits that splice into the fuse panel and I do not have auto dim mirror so that is not an option to tap into.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as the dash cam accepts a 12 volt input, yes you can wire it to a switch.

If it doesn't accept a 12 volt input, you could still make it work with a buck converter, just will take some extra work.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking into the possibility to wire my dash camera to the Bronco Auxillary switch using the wire that is preran above the passenger side visor. Is this something that is able to be done or would the dash camera need a different power source? In the past I usually use the hardwire kits that splice into the fuse panel and I do not have auto dim mirror so that is not an option to tap into.
I plan on using a thinkware dash camera with the OBD harness just like what the dash cam in the ford accessories catalog does. That way you don't have to splice into the fuse panel or waste an Aux switch on it.

The OBD harness is simply plug and play.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hkak45

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan on using a thinkware dash camera with the OBD harness just like what the dash cam in the ford accessories catalog does. That way you don't have to splice into the fuse panel or waste an Aux switch on it.

That is pretty clever. Never knew about that option thanks for that.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a newbie, so please excuse the low skill level questions. Will that just draw from you battery then? Is it running all the time? Thanks!

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a newbie, so please excuse the low skill level questions. Will that just draw from you battery then? Is it running all the time? Thanks!
So it all depends. If you have parking mode enabled, then there will generally be some parasitic drain on the battery. Hardcore dashcam fans tend to buy accessory battery packs for their dashcams (see video below), but I generally just run with parking mode disabled. With the thinkware OBD port harness there is an ignition detection box that has a flashing red led when the ignition is off so no matter what there will be a tiny amount of parasitic drain, and if I was going to be parked for a long period of time then I'd unplug the dashcam from the OBD port.

Some dashcam models have built in settings that monitor the car battery (see video below). I personally plan on getting this thinkware 4K model because with 4K it is so much easier to make out license plates, which from experience being hit can be difficult with 1080p and cars speeding past in a different lane after they hit you.