Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Canada to California, Keep it Classy Outer Banks Build OBX_01

2021 4-Door Advanced 2.3L Outer Banks. High Package, Equipment Group 313A. 4.27. Cyber Orange Metallic. Roast Interior (because bougie).

I'm (technically) the second owner of this OBX. I had been scouring the internet for months for a decent deal, and everything in California was overpriced by $10k+ so I expanded my search country-wide. This baby popped up at a Jeep dealership in Ohio (Findlay Dodge Chrysler), it was the cheapest OBX in the country at that moment, and it was the easiest transaction I've ever had with any dealership. Called them up on a Monday, and I was flying out there to drive it 2200 miles home three days later. The Bronco was originally a Canadian vehicle, had one owner (in Canada) who put about 25000 miles on it within a year, then it mysteriously ended up at a car auction where Findlay picks up most of their used vehicles, and brought it over stateside. For anyone curious, the Ford warranty transfers over if the vehicle moves between Canada and the US, warranties for Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler do not!

Now let's get to the good stuff.

A friend of mine made a comment when I first talked to him about wanting a full-size Bronco. He said, "If I wasn't in the business of lift kits and modding rigs, I would have kept the suspension on the Bronco stock," and that always stuck with me. I wanted to keep this build classy and comfortable with as many OEM parts as possible.

March 27th '23 Mod List:
  • Sasquatch Suspension Take-Offs
  • Ford Modular Bumper
  • Ford Safari Bar
  • Black Rhino Convoys 17x8.5 -10 Offset
  • Falken Wildpeak R/T Tires 35x11.50R17
  • Swarfworks Front Light Bracket
  • KC Hilites Pro6 Gravity LED (Driving) x3
  • Rough Country Hidden Winch Kit
  • Builtright License Plate Relocation Bracket
  • Factor 55 Prolink Shackle Mount
  • Allied Expedition Rear Trail Rack

Future:
  • Ford Performance 2.3L Tune
  • Redarc Trailer Brake
  • Hardtop (yeah right)
  • KC Hilites Fog Kit
  • Rancho Armor
  • Window Tint
  • Sliders
  • Camera Relocation

First I added the wheels, tires, and suspension all in one go. I was super lucky and found a set of Sasquatch coilover take-offs for $160. The guy had said they came off a Badlands Non-SAS so nobody wanted them, but after a part number search I was stoked to find out they came off a Badlands SAS! Those added roughly 2" in lift to the Outer Banks, but the whole setup drastically changed the ride quality. The OBX felt less confident on the road, and super floaty. I wasn't sure if it was the new tires, the suspension (which likely came off a 2.7 while mine is a 2.3), too much weight in the back, or a combination of everything. It looked rad, but the ride sucked compared to stock.

Ford Bronco Canada to California, Keep it Classy Outer Banks Build OBX_02

When I was reading reviews on the RC Winch kit, one of the comments noted how their Bronco ride improved and felt more stable after install thanks to the extra weight. The install wasn't too bad for the 2.3L, took a couple hours with two people and I'm happy to report that the extra weight in the front did the trick and it now drives great. Adding the modular bumper (which is 40 lbs heavier than the plastic bumper) also helped as well. The front dropped just a tad with all the extra weight but I do a lot of towing in the summer so I don't mind the rake.

The KC lights were a bit of a pain during the install. The hardware is too long for the Swarfworks rack so I had to add spacers to try and lift it a tad. The hardware is still pressing against the bumper but it's mostly working for now. The harness that I purchased from KC for this light set is too short to connect to the aux wiring so I'm waiting for an extension to come in so I can finally hook these babies up!

Ford Bronco Canada to California, Keep it Classy Outer Banks Build OBX_03

Ford Bronco Canada to California, Keep it Classy Outer Banks Build OBX_04

Next is the tune, trailer brake, and front camera relocation which is the final prep I need before I start doing some long-distance towing. I also want to do a clean fridge install in the back with a slide but I haven't done any research on that yet. I'll post pics soon with the trailer attached to show how the rake is affected!
Sponsored

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

2021 4-Door Advanced 2.3L Outer Banks. High Package, Equipment Group 313A. 4.27. Cyber Orange Metallic. Roast Interior (because bougie).

I'm (technically) the second owner of this OBX. I had been scouring the internet for months for a decent deal, and everything in California was overpriced by $10k+ so I expanded my search country-wide. This baby popped up at a Jeep dealership in Ohio (Findlay Dodge Chrysler), it was the cheapest OBX in the country at that moment, and it was the easiest transaction I've ever had with any dealership. Called them up on a Monday, and I was flying out there to drive it 2200 miles home three days later. The Bronco was originally a Canadian vehicle, had one owner (in Canada) who put about 25000 miles on it within a year, then it mysteriously ended up at a car auction where Findlay picks up most of their used vehicles, and brought it over stateside. For anyone curious, the Ford warranty transfers over if the vehicle moves between Canada and the US, warranties for Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler do not!

A friend of mine made a comment when I first talked to him about wanting a full-size Bronco. He said, "If I wasn't in the business of lift kits and modding rigs, I would have kept the suspension on the Bronco stock," and that always stuck with me. I wanted to keep this build classy and comfortable with as many OEM parts as possible.

March 27th '23 Mod List:
  • Ford Modular Bumper
  • Ford Safari Bar

Future:
  • Redarc Trailer Brake
  • Hardtop (yeah right)
  • KC Hilites Fog Kit
  • Rancho Armor
  • Window Tint
  • Sliders
  • Camera Relocation

First I added the wheels, tires, and suspension all in one go. I was super lucky and found a set of Sasquatch coilover take-offs for $160. The guy had said they came off a Badlands Non-SAS so nobody wanted them, but after a part number search I was stoked to find out they came off a Badlands SAS! Those added roughly 2" in lift to the Outer Banks, but the whole setup drastically changed the ride quality. The OBX felt less confident on the road, and super floaty. I wasn't sure if it was the new tires, the suspension (which likely came off a 2.7 while mine is a 2.3), too much weight in the back, or a combination of everything. It looked rad, but the ride sucked compared to stock.

When I was reading reviews on the RC Winch kit, one of the comments noted how their Bronco ride improved and felt more stable after install thanks to the extra weight. The install wasn't too bad for the 2.3L, took a couple hours with two people and I'm happy to report that the extra weight in the front did the trick and it now drives great. Adding the modular bumper (which is 40 lbs heavier than the plastic bumper) also helped as well. The front dropped just a tad with all the extra weight but I do a lot of towing in the summer so I don't mind the rake.

The KC lights were a bit of a pain during the install. The hardware is too long for the Swarfworks rack so I had to add spacers to try and lift it a tad. The hardware is still pressing against the bumper but it's mostly working for now. The harness that I purchased from KC for this light set is too short to connect to the aux wiring so I'm waiting for an extension to come in so I can finally hook these babies up!

Next is the tune, trailer brake, and front camera relocation which is the final prep I need before I start doing some long-distance towing. I also want to do a clean fridge install in the back with a slide but I haven't done any research on that yet. I'll post pics soon with the trailer attached to show how the rake is affected!
Continue to rock! 🤘 :D

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OBX_01.jpg

March 27th '23 Mod List:
  • Ford Modular Bumper
  • Ford Safari Bar

Future:
  • Redarc Trailer Brake
  • Hardtop (yeah right)
  • KC Hilites Fog Kit
  • Rancho Armor
  • Window Tint
  • Sliders
  • Camera Relocation

OBX_02.jpg

OBX_03.jpg

OBX_04.jpg

I strongly suggest you add some armor underneath before any other mods .... everything under the there is plastic, (gas tank, oil pan etc.) ..... I also have an OBX and every time i go out off roading my guts are in my throat constantly worrying about what could happen.

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Do you have the KC Gravities wired to your stock fog switch? Or do you have plans for that circuit later?

Thx!

Sponsored
OP
OP
forthwest

forthwest

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I strongly suggest you add some armor underneath before any other mods .... everything under the there is plastic, (gas tank, oil pan etc.) ..... I also have an OBX and every time i go out off roading my guts are in my throat constantly worrying about what could happen.
Great suggestion. Any brands I should look at?

LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Do you have the KC Gravities wired to your stock fog switch? Or do you have plans for that circuit later?

Thx!
I'm wiring them to my auxiliary switches (the harness it came with was too short so they aren't hooked up yet, so I'm waiting for the extension to arrive, any day now!). I plan to purchase the KC Fog Light kit that they just launched (it's pretty pricey so I'm in no rush) and I'll be hooking those up to the stock fog switch.

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great suggestion. Any brands I should look at?
I plan to go with the full set and gas tank set from RCI Offroad.

https://rcimetalworks.com/

They're a sponsor here and have a good price and choice of aluminum or steel. I'm planning to stop at their shop outside Denver on my way back to CA from Iowa in June when I finally get my Bronco OBX from Ganger Ford. They said they could install them for me saving shipping and saving me the work.

Sponsored

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500, Bronco, 600RR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice build! Improved looks and capability but still practical. Especially liking the tires, didn’t realize Falken had a hybrid tire until today.

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The standard skid plate protects the engine right? Which under armor would would you recommend adding? Fuel, transmission, crossmember, transfer case protection?

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

March 27th '23 Mod List:
  • Ford Modular Bumper
  • Ford Safari Bar

Future:
  • Redarc Trailer Brake
  • Hardtop (yeah right)
  • KC Hilites Fog Kit
  • Rancho Armor
  • Window Tint
  • Sliders
  • Camera Relocation

Which winch did you get with the case? The Pro 9500 or 12000?

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love the looks for your Bronco! Broncoing with your "Customized" Bronco is such a blast, have fun getting it dirty!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The standard skid plate protects the engine right? Which under armor would would you recommend adding? Fuel, transmission, crossmember, transfer case protection?
look at post #8 on this thread
Sponsored