rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
After reserving a BD Bronco and watching all the off-roading, decided to plan a trip out to Moab to do the white rim trail. I've looked at it from the observation points 3 times and always wanted to be down there in the canyons.

anyway, Bronco will not be available by Oct., and I could rent a jeep, but i already have an 2019 F-150 and was wondering if I could take it and do the trail.

Anyone have experience on that trail?

I was thinking of putting a bilstein (6112 front, 5160 rear) package to lift the front 2" and the rear a little bit, putting 33" inch tires and making a go of it.

I don't have a locking rear differential, but just normal 4x4 with lo and 10spd. auto.

Will this be adequate for the white rim? Most reviews of the trail say that 95% of it is 2wd, but just a couple tight spots and some steep climbs where 4x4 is reqd.

I've seen some F150 on it as well, so just wondering if anyone has done the trail with something similar.
Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did the loop on mountain bike about 20 years ago. It was an incredible experience for this east coaster. The support van wasn't anything extreme, just lifted with bigger tires.
You will need a permit and have to make campsite reservations, that may be the hard part.
https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

OP
OP

rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did the loop on mountain bike about 20 years ago. It was an incredible experience for this east coaster. The support van wasn't anything extreme, just lifted with bigger tires.
You will need a permit and have to make campsite reservations, that may be the hard part.
https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm
I have reservations, so that is set. Good to know on the van, kinda supports what I have been reading.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'll be fine unless the weather sets in, then all bets are off. October can be a wet time of year in Moab. We always had our Fall Fling runs out there in Oct for NAXJA.

Sponsored

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great article, installed some new shocks today and have settled on 33.5" tires. Should be fine based on the results of those old timers.

I have been thinking about doing this trip for a while now and always miss when the reservation opens. If you decide not to go please let me know and I will be glad to take your spot... :)

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove it in a day as a sag wagon for some friends who rode the entire route in one day on their bikes. Reservations are required for day or overnight use. I’d recommend that you split it into three days / two nights on the trail. It’s a great area for mellow off-roading with some camping and good food mixed in. The road itself is not difficult, most of it can be rolled in 2WD, 4WD & low range is helpful for two spots when it gets steep but those sections are very short. The only real challenge is exposure plus heat, mechanicals or mud. If it rains things get down right nasty very quickly b/c the road is clay. Do NOT attempt either set of switchbacks in or out of the valley if things are greasy. Good luck! ?

We picked up an injured Moto rider and met up with a federal ranger and eventually a sportsmobile ambulance. It was a epic day complete with a flash flood and hail. But that’s another story.

24C50E83-32E7-4F6F-B0DC-5BA5BDD7C180.jpeg

OP
OP

rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been thinking about doing this trip for a while now and always miss when the reservation opens. If you decide not to go please let me know and I will be glad to take your spot... :)
So here is the deal with reservations, I talked to a lady ranger out there and they call daily to confirm reservations 2 weeks ahead, it seems like some people's plan changes, like 25%, so if you look two weeks before you want to go, i think there is a good chance that there may be a opening. You can see that for Sept. 19, two weeks from today.

I have only one night reserved at Taylor, which is not ideal for two days and one night on the trail, but i'm optimistic I can get something for a second night the night before so that I can have 2.5 days on the trail and 2 nights.

OP
OP

rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove it in a day as a sag wagon for some friends who rode the entire route in one day on their bikes. Reservations are required for day or overnight use. I’d recommend that you split it into three days / two nights on the trail. It’s a great area for mellow off-roading with some camping and good food mixed in. The road itself is not difficult, most of it can be rolled in 2WD, 4WD & low range is helpful for two spots when it gets steep but those sections are very short. The only real challenge is exposure plus heat, mechanicals or mud. If it rains things get down right nasty very quickly b/c the road is clay. Do NOT attempt either set of switchbacks in or out of the valley if things are greasy. Good luck! ?

We picked up an injured Moto rider and met up with a federal ranger and eventually a sportsmobile ambulance. It was a epic day complete with a flash flood and hail. But that’s another story.

Yeah, I think I'll be all set. I installed a leveling kit, well Bilstein 6112's on the highest setting on the front, and 5100's on the rear. I also got some Cooper 285/75/17's which are about 34". My truck is not the FX4, so no skid plates, but based on all the video's I think I'm set.

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_3059

Sponsored

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So here is the deal with reservations, I talked to a lady ranger out there and they call daily to confirm reservations 2 weeks ahead, it seems like some people's plan changes, like 25%, so if you look two weeks before you want to go, i think there is a good chance that there may be a opening. You can see that for Sept. 19, two weeks from today.

I have only one night reserved at Taylor, which is not ideal for two days and one night on the trail, but i'm optimistic I can get something for a second night the night before so that I can have 2.5 days on the trail and 2 nights.
Thanks for the tip, I will call them and check early October.

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did Shaffer Trail and Potash Rd last week in a Tahoe. Shaffer Trail ends at the intersection with Potash or White Rim. Shaffer and Potash trails take around 2.5 to 3 hours to complete and is absolutely amazing. I was day dreaming of what it would have been like in the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_20201005_122647

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_20201018_195452_01

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_20201018_195457_01

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_20201018_195459_01

Ford Bronco Canyonlands white rim trail IMG_20201018_195502_01

Last edited:

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We did this trail this summer in June. Absolutely awesome. My wife was puckered up most of the time, especially on the switchbacks. Not a technical trail but go slow. Too beautiful views to go fast anyways.

Here’s a trail pic of my soon to be sold JLU:

37EEEB80-6E9E-4FC2-AB27-D13E40ADAB19.jpeg

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome. Take plenty of pics to post here!
Sponsored