Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37183884/2021-ford-bronco-black-diamond-by-the-numbers/

You'll give up some features for the manual transmission, but it's well worth it.

The pony liked it. Well, she licked it, which is a sign of affection, right? Perhaps she recognized the 2021 Ford Bronco's badge and presumed it was a new member of the herd.

Getting equine approval seemed important for a truck named for a horse, which is why we swung by a stable during our week of testing. Several riders brought their mounts over to scope out the two-door Bronco, although they demonstrated their interest in a less mouthy manner, peering in the open roof and commenting on the truck's retro looks and easy-to-clean interior. Equestrians are big on easy-to-clean interiors.

It's not just horse people who are drawn to the new Bronco. Everywhere we went in this dusky Antimatter Blue steed, someone waved us down to get a closer look. Many of the interested parties told us they had one on order. If you're aiming to up your popularity around town, we suggest making the rounds in a Bronco. It's a lot easier than being rich or having a good personality.

Speaking of which, the Bronco lineup has seven distinct personalities, ranging from the minimalist base model to the maximalist First Edition. No matter which you choose, you can make your pony more or less outdoorsy, off-road focused, or luxurious with various packages. Unless, of course, you need three pedals.

If your perfect Bronco comes with a seven-speed manual gearbox, you're going to have to give up a large chunk of the Ford option sheet to get it. You're limited to the Black Diamond and Badlands trim levels. The 2.7-liter V-6 is off the table and so is the off-road-oriented Sasquatch package with the big 35-inch tires. You'll have to wait for the 2022 model to pair the big tires with the stick.

The $37,545 Black Diamond trim with a turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four and manual transmission strikes us as a sort of sweet spot in the vast lineup. We took one for a bit of trail-riding to see if we'd miss the extra tire and engine displacement offered by the higher trim levels.

Continued...

Ford Bronco Car and Driver - Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco Manual Brings the Fun 2021-ford-bronco-23l-black-diamond-102-1627680349
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

????
If your perfect Bronco comes with a seven-speed manual gearbox, you're going to have to give up a large chunk of the Ford option sheet to get it. You're limited to the Black Diamond and Badlands trim levels.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37183884/2021-ford-bronco-black-diamond-by-the-numbers/

You'll give up some features for the manual transmission, but it's well worth it.

The pony liked it. Well, she licked it, which is a sign of affection, right? Perhaps she recognized the 2021 Ford Bronco's badge and presumed it was a new member of the herd.

Getting equine approval seemed important for a truck named for a horse, which is why we swung by a stable during our week of testing. Several riders brought their mounts over to scope out the two-door Bronco, although they demonstrated their interest in a less mouthy manner, peering in the open roof and commenting on the truck's retro looks and easy-to-clean interior. Equestrians are big on easy-to-clean interiors.

It's not just horse people who are drawn to the new Bronco. Everywhere we went in this dusky Antimatter Blue steed, someone waved us down to get a closer look. Many of the interested parties told us they had one on order. If you're aiming to up your popularity around town, we suggest making the rounds in a Bronco. It's a lot easier than being rich or having a good personality.

Speaking of which, the Bronco lineup has seven distinct personalities, ranging from the minimalist base model to the maximalist First Edition. No matter which you choose, you can make your pony more or less outdoorsy, off-road focused, or luxurious with various packages. Unless, of course, you need three pedals.

If your perfect Bronco comes with a seven-speed manual gearbox, you're going to have to give up a large chunk of the Ford option sheet to get it. You're limited to the Black Diamond and Badlands trim levels. The 2.7-liter V-6 is off the table and so is the off-road-oriented Sasquatch package with the big 35-inch tires. You'll have to wait for the 2022 model to pair the big tires with the stick.

The $37,545 Black Diamond trim with a turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four and manual transmission strikes us as a sort of sweet spot in the vast lineup. We took one for a bit of trail-riding to see if we'd miss the extra tire and engine displacement offered by the higher trim levels.

Continued...

Ford Bronco Car and Driver - Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco Manual Brings the Fun 2021-ford-bronco-23l-black-diamond-102-1627680349
Your link is broken, here's a corrected link: Continued...

Sponsored
OP
OP
FourHorses

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Of course it’s meant for off road and isn’t about 0-60 times. I test drove a 2 door Badlands with the 2.3 and manual this weekend at Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney, TX. Loved everything about that Bronco except it felt like an 8.5 second 0-60 truck to me, not 7 like the article states but I didn’t time it. Props to Ford on the really smooth shifting but mine will be getting the v-6 engine.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Finally a Wrangler competitor that will force Jeep to build a better Wrangler.

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This article made me think of another Easter egg Ford could add. Put little Bronco logos on the MGV seat bottoms so when you sit down on them with shorts the seats will brand you on the back of the thigh...just like a real horse!

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A slower manual is still more fun than a fast automatic.
This is where I stand. I found the power of the 2.3 to be right on target for my normal driving conditions and found the rowing of gears on this clutch/gearbox setup to be absolutely enjoyable experience....too much fun to pass up.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having taken ownership of my Bronco two days ago, I can say I 100% agree that:
- I love the antimatter blue, I was a little bit worried about it being too dark but it is so beautiful that it outweighs that fear
- The manual is great and the 2.3L has never left me feeling like it is underpowered

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Of course it’s meant for off road and isn’t about 0-60 times. I test drove a 2 door Badlands with the 2.3 and manual this weekend at Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney, TX. Loved everything about that Bronco except it felt like an 8.5 second 0-60 truck to me, not 7 like the article states but I didn’t time it. Props to Ford on the really smooth shifting but mine will be getting the v-6 engine.
Hi Rob, I test drove that same bronco and I loved it. I even said: how can anyone want the 2.7 V6?? But my guess is that everything depends on the vehicle that you are currently driving.
I am driving a Acura MDX 290hp and 267lbft of tq.
What do you currently drive?
Thanks!
Sponsored