Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an update, I just had a series of thunderstorms come through this evening with some heavy rain. The Ford bikini top coated with Scotchguard didn’t leak at all. It pools water at the top, which I remove by simply folding it forward towards the windshield to drain. I will play with options to peak the vinyl around mid center of car to stop the pooling, but treated with a waterproof application, it works for me. I may coat it again with some Starbrite.

I agree. Why on earth would Ford sell a vinyl cover that isn’t waterproof? Probably the same genius on the Bronco reservation/rollout team was responsible for authorizing production of this accessory.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean…. If you are going to go to the effort of having a manufacturer put a big ass “Bronco” label on the front of your cheap vinyl top accessory, wouldn’t you consider using waterproof vinyl as well (or instead) especially for a $250+ price. Not too much common sense going on there…

OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean…. If you are going to go to the effort of having a manufacturer put a big ass “Bronco” label on the front of your cheap vinyl top accessory, wouldn’t you consider using waterproof vinyl as well (or instead) especially for a $250+ price. Not too much common sense going on there…
As an update on this Ford accessory, I’ve been using it for two months now full time outside. I haven’t had any leaks after putting the waterproofer on it. Only issue that I have is water pooling on the top, but I use an adjustable paint roller pole I had in my garage now and put it behind the center console with a towel on top (so it doesn’t poke the cover) to create a tee-pee to drain the water. Works like a charm and I used my Fordpass points, so I don’t have to buy an aftermarket one for several hundred dollars.

Another downside with this cover is the metal hooks on the end of the tie down straps which get caught when putting it on and off on everything and you have to be gentle if you are worried about nicking the paint just throwing it on. Plastic clips would have been a better design.

Would I buy it again, no. I’d go with one of the aftermarket options, but I used the points and none of the aftermarket versions were available yet when I needed the top.

tommywoodrum

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Kia
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just found this on Amazon for $78. Only 1 review and it gave no details. They make it for the 4 door as well for the same price. Just ordered it so hit me up if you're interested in how it works.

Waterproof Cab Cover Replace for 2021 -2023 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 600D Oxford Cloth Heavy Duty All Weather Bronco Cover for Sun Snow Rain Dust Hail Protection (2 Door)
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? 61MLCAPW94L._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? 71tATT03muL._AC_SL1500_

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-R...5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840#customerReviews

OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just found this on Amazon for $78. Only 1 review and it gave no details. They make it for the 4 door as well for the same price. Just ordered it so hit me up if you're interested in how it works.

Waterproof Cab Cover Replace for 2021 -2023 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 600D Oxford Cloth Heavy Duty All Weather Bronco Cover for Sun Snow Rain Dust Hail Protection (2 Door)

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Replace-Bronco-Weather-Protection/dp/B0BG58KW8F/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1PH21KABPRBQT&keywords=bronco+2+door+soft+top&qid=1676503687&s=automotive&sprefix=bronco+2+door+soft+top,automotive,160&sr=1-6&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840#customerReviews
The problem I have with the Ford accessory top is water pooling. I had to improvise with an extendable pole to make a tent in the middle of the top of the cover for the water to runoff. This Amazon top doesn’t seem to address that issue either but maybe it is a tighter fit than the Ford top.

Sponsored

tommywoodrum

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Kia
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The problem I have with the Ford accessory top is water pooling. I had to improvise with an extendable pole to make a tent in the middle of the top of the cover for the water to runoff. This Amazon top doesn’t seem to address that issue either but maybe it is a tighter fit than the Ford top.

I assume I will need to address the pooling situation as there is just too much open space to expect any cover to be tight enough to prevent water from standing. My main reason for purchasing is the price for a waterproof(hopefully) cover. All the other ones out there are either a couple hundred more or in the case of the Ford cover needing to be waterproofed. It should be here by Friday so I'll let you know.

OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assume I will need to address the pooling situation as there is just too much open space to expect any cover to be tight enough to prevent water from standing. My main reason for purchasing is the price for a waterproof(hopefully) cover. All the other ones out there are either a couple hundred more or in the case of the Ford cover needing to be waterproofed. It should be here by Friday so I'll let you know.
FYI, I use an extendable paint rolling poll as my “center support.” For $78 I will pick up the Amazon cab cover as well. Thanks for the link.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Replace-Bronco-Weather-Protection/dp/B0BG58KW8F/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1PH21KABPRBQT&keywords=bronco+2+door+soft+top&qid=1676503687&s=automotive&sprefix=bronco+2+door+soft+top,automotive,160&sr=1-6&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840#customerReviews
Thanks for this tip -- at $75 (6% off even) it's well worth the gamble, just ordered.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for this tip -- at $75 (6% off even) it's well worth the gamble, just ordered.
FYI on the Ford cover. It really is thin material and I didn’t make it a summer season without one of the tie downs ripping off in the back. The Broncover for the 2-door looks nice but for $370 (pretty steep in my opinion) I will gamble with the cheaper Chinese versions.

tommywoodrum

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Kia
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Following up on my Amazon purchase. I installed it and had it on overnight but did not have it on for rain due to needing to drive in said rain. 2 main issues. very tight to get on over the side mirrors. i had to fold one in and still wrestle with it to get it on. As you can see from the photos the seams on the mirrors just don't seem quite right. Still once on it's not going anywhere. Second issue is that there is very little overlap on the rear door. Probably not going to be an issue but if there was a lot of sitting water on the top it might pull the back end up. I have some close ups of the seams and the hardware (all plastic fyi). The straps can be attached just under the doors but that means tightening them up all most all the way. I opted to secure them under the body a bit more. Feels very secure when attached.

For this next part no laughter or rude comments. My carpentry skills are pretty sad and this was more of a proof of concept build than a final solution. When you remove the top there are 2 holes on the roll cage just behind the driver and passenger seat. I took a 2x4 cut it to length, cut it in half then added a hinge. Once that was done I 45'd the ends and added a dowel to line up with one of the holes. I then added a small shim in between the boards to create a small pitch to the assembly. The piece is installed in all pictures except for the 11th one just for contrast. The plan is to do this with 1" aluminum pipe with maybe a 3rd arm extending to the back of the roof.

Annnyyywho, just an idea you can bang out in 30 min for a couple bucks.

Cheers!

Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4537
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4538
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4539
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4540
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4541
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4542
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4544
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4547
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4552
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4553
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4555
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4516
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4518
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4519
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4520
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4556
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4558
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4560
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4561
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4562
Ford Bronco Car Cover for Rain When Hardtop Off? IMG_4563

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks like some fine woodworking to me. :) Thanks for the review, I'm not too worried about rain, I live in the desert - I need mostly to keep the dust out... a cheap way to keep the dust out. I may turn the mirror pockets inside out and just tuck under the cover, don;t think the mirrors need protecting.

tommywoodrum

Base
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Kia
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks like some fine woodworking to me. :) Thanks for the review, I'm not too worried about rain, I live in the desert - I need mostly to keep the dust out... a cheap way to keep the dust out. I may turn the mirror pockets inside out and just tuck under the cover, don;t think the mirrors need protecting.
Should be good for dust. And if you leave it on during the day you can bake bread inside.

OP
OP
Feldgen

Feldgen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW/Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, you are too self-critical on your carpentry skills! Very creative. The fabrics looks to be much better than the Ford option. It is still winter weather in the NE where I am and I do not anticipate taking my hardtop off fully until May, but I am going to give this cover a shot and will post any improvements I make to the installation in the coming months. Maybe another cover option will arise in that time that is affordable. Thank you for sharing!
Sponsored