Sponsored

Car cover - why not install if top down or doors off?

Cjeromepa

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I was thinking about during stretches of nice weather removing my doors and soft top overnight or while at work putting a cover over car. So I bought one, however it says do not install if top down or doors off. Does anyone know why you shouldn’t do this?

Thanks for info
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I was thinking about during stretches of nice weather removing my doors and soft top overnight or while at work putting a cover over car. So I bought one, however it says do not install if top down or doors off. Does anyone know why you shouldn’t do this?

Thanks for info
I’m assuming the lack of roof might limit the stability up top and have the cover sag. If it rains I’m guessing it’ll pool water pretty bad. Not sure the anchor points for the cover, but that might be part of the reason too? 🤷‍♂️

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The fabric is probably too thin to support any rain or hold up to strong winds. Rain gear makes really good covers. Right now they only make a 4dr cover for the bronco, but they would be best for what you want to do. You still need to put some kind of support across for rain pooling with their covers, but they are a nice heavy material.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a cab cover for my 97 Wrangler and would use it to cover the cab when the top and half doors were off. One night it rained a little and the rain did pool in a couple of pockets and was pretty heavy sagging in those spots. I had to push up on the sagging spots to displace the water- and it was not that easy as you would think. After that I would put the cover on only when it was not going to rain, or put on the bimini top first, which would support the cab cover if it did rain. I liked the cab cover as it even fit when the soft top was up. I always put it on when it was parked in the brutal hot scorching sun here in FL. I am seriously thinking of getting a cab cover for my 2 door Sas when it's parked in the sun.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

www.broncover.com

This is what I'm going to go with. It's marine grade so it will be mostly water proof. Just like any boat cover you'll likely need to support the center somehow incase of heavy rain as water will pool.

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Im fabricating my own cover at the moment. I've tested a few on the market and they suck/ not what I'm looking for. It takes more time to put the covers on then it does to put the top back on. Not practical
I'll post the product when I'm done.

md540i

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE , 18 Expedition Max Ltd
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Any updates on the cover?

Oisinirish

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 4 door. Sasquatch. Manual
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Im fabricating my own cover at the moment. I've tested a few on the market and they suck/ not what I'm looking for. It takes more time to put the covers on then it does to put the top back on. Not practical
I'll post the product when I'm done.
Maybe add some tent pole loops you could put in for support? The shock corded type?

Sponsored

ericwayne

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Rain Gear is great if you keep your soft top on as a safari top.

Ford Bronco Car cover - why not install if top down or doors off? InCollage_20220825_102904364

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My plan (if I ever get a Bronco) is the have the top off 70- 90% of the time and have a full cover for parking outside and rain. It will never get in the garage...hope someone makes something for 2door by then...

Boosted2.3L

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Car cover - why not install if top down or doors off? InCollage_20220825_102904364
Am I correct to assume you have the "Half cover" version? I have the Bestop soft top with the fastback/slanted/45 degree angled back. Since I plan to do exact same setup as you, except with the Bestop, do you recommend the half cover or trail cover?

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there full coverage on rear tailgate area so rain doesn’t pour in?

ericwayne

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I correct to assume you have the "Half cover" version? I have the Bestop soft top with the fastback/slanted/45 degree angled back. Since I plan to do exact same setup as you, except with the Bestop, do you recommend the half cover or trail cover?
Not sure that it would work on the Bestop slant back as it utilizes the factory soft top roofline to maintain shape.
Sponsored