Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to buy a new trailer to haul my Bronco Badlands 4 door SAS when it gets here. I want an open trailer with dovetail. What length?
Big Tex has a 16' and 18'. Would the back tires be on the dovetail of the 16 footer (14' plus 2' dovetail)?

What about a front rock shield? Are they removable? I don't want that big wind block if I am not hauling the Bronco. Or skip it and put mudflaps on the truck?

https://www.bigtextrailers.com/10ch-pro-series-tandem-axle-car-hauler
Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you split the wheels over the axles, 16 should be fine. It will have a little more tongue weight. Your 1 ton can handle it. The Big Tex site does not give good measurements for the trailers (distance from middle of axles to dovetail). Bronco wheelbase is a little under 10ft. I am sure you know that you want to somewhat balance the weight over the axles with a little more weight to the front. That is my best advice I can give without better measurements on the trailer. In their picture of measurements, A is obviously the total length, but B and C are not given at all.
If you need the trailer for other things, see how big it needs to be for those things.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you split the wheels over the axles, 16 should be fine. It will have a little more tongue weight. Your 1 ton can handle it. The Big Tex site does not give good measurements for the trailers (distance from middle of axles to dovetail). Bronco wheelbase is a little under 10ft. I am sure you know that you want to somewhat balance the weight over the axles with a little more weight to the front. That is my best advice I can give without better measurements on the trailer. In their picture of measurements, A is obviously the total length, but B and C are not given at all.
If you need the trailer for other things, see how big it needs to be for those things.
Thanks. I figure a fully loaded Badlands is 6k and the trailer if steel will weigh 2000-2500 so I will need at least a 10K GVWR (two 5k axles) as 7K wouldn't be enough

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks. I figure a fully loaded Badlands is 6k and the trailer if steel will weigh 2000-2500 so I will need at least a 10K GVWR (two 5k axles) as 7K wouldn't be enough
I'd go 18' at least. That gives you a little room to get your load set up the way you want when you load. A 16' is barely longer than the full length of the Bronco. You want to be able to set you tongue weight where you want it.

The 5 ton gross rating would seem to be a good match. I agree that 3.5 ton gross is not enough. Folks skimp on trailer rating and tow too close to their tire or trailer limit.

I used a 7 ton gross trailer for my 8600 lb off road truck. The trailer was 2800lb so that left me a nice cushion on rating.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd go 18' at least. That gives you a little room to get your load set up the way you want when you load. A 16' is barely longer than the full length of the Bronco. You want to be able to set you tongue weight where you want it.

The 5 ton gross rating would seem to be a good match. I agree that 3.5 ton gross is not enough. Folks skimp on trailer rating and tow too close to their tire or trailer limit.

I used a 7 ton gross trailer for my 8600 lb off road truck. The trailer was 2800lb so that left me a nice cushion on rating.
Thanks. I will be hauling the Bronco to CO in the spring and bringing it home in the winter. I do tend to drive fast as it's 660 miles one way from our place in TX to CO. Having a higher GVWR gives me extra capacity on the tires and from my experience if I don't put a lot of weight on the tires they last a whole lot longer

Sponsored

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the BigTex 70CH 18’ with upgraded axles…its a tank and has never disappointed. I have used it for hauling my 1-ton Bronco and Jeep as well as multiple pallets of wood pellets in the winter even the occasional Home Depot runs.

My only complaint is the wood deck needs to be replaced about every 5-7 years depending on climate and how it’s stored, if money is not a concern, I would look for a solid steel deck with integrated tie downs, or an aluminum car trailer from FeatherLite or ProLine, both have a solid deck, removal fenders and rock shield, but $$$.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the BigTex 70CH 18’ with upgraded axles…its a tank and has never disappointed. I have used it for hauling my 1-ton Bronco and Jeep as well as multiple pallets of wood pellets in the winter even the occasional Home Depot runs.

My only complaint is the wood deck needs to be replaced about every 5-7 years depending on climate and how it’s stored, if money is not a concern, I would look for a solid steel deck with integrated tie downs, or an aluminum car trailer from FeatherLite or ProLine, both have a solid deck, removal fenders and rock shield, but $$$.
I have a 24' Aluma trailer now but it's kinda long to maneuver around small gas stations. I use it to haul two side by sides on.
I keep all of my trailers inside so the wood deck isn't a problem. I did look at the Big Tex 70DM with the steel deck but it's only rated at 7k

I would just use the Alumna but I also have a new Polaris Turbo R on order. It's supposed to be 74" wide but can get wider with different wheel offsets and as the springs settle, so a 83" trailer would be great for it as well. I sure don't want to just haul the one rzr on a 24' trailer
Sponsored