Sponsored

Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine?

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list. Here 2dr badlands & Raptor 1/23
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well looks like Ford dropped the ball on 3.0L engine for the Braptor. oil-carbon build up on the valves will be an issue. No engine model changes for the Braptor, so got the DI(direct injection) vs the other models that are running port and direct, so looks like the Braptor comes with higher maintance cost down the road. Way to go fordā€¦.weā€™ll letā€™s hope the lawsuits play out and benefit us consumers.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You over come the build up by flooring it a few times a months. Itā€™s the same with most DI engines. My corvette would do it (blow soot) from time to time if I just putted around in it.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
just use a catch can if you have the 3.0. So in your case keep your Badlands. I am not sure I understand complaining about an engine you don't have.

Well looks like Ford dropped the ball on 3.0L engine for the Braptor. oil-carbon build up on the valves will be an issue. No engine model changes for the Braptor, so got the DI(direct injection) vs the other models that are running port and direct, so looks like the Braptor comes with higher maintance cost down the road. Way to go fordā€¦.weā€™ll letā€™s hope the lawsuits play out and benefit us consumers.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If direct injection is so bad why has it been the standard on diesel engines from almost day one? Where is there a high mileage Bronco Raptor to even have an idea this is a problem?

Bronco Raptor

Raptor
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If direct injection is so bad why has it been the standard on diesel engines from almost day one? Where is there a high mileage Bronco Raptor to even have an idea this is a problem?
Wow, that's comparing apples to oranges.

Until it carbon's up, I'm going to beat the hell out of mine!

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, that's comparing apples to oranges.

Until it carbon's up, I'm going to beat the hell out of mine!
How is it apples to oranges? Modern gas engines are diesels with spark ignition instead of compression ignition. High pressure injection turbo charging and intercooling are all diesel technology that has been applied to gas engines to make them more efficient and powerful. My point was direct injection is not a bad thing and nobody knows yet if carbon build up is going to be a problem in the raptor.

Sponsored

Bronco Raptor

Raptor
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Apple to oranges

Diesel has to be direct injected, most turbo charger.

Gas can be direct injected, carbureted, multi-port, etc

I have a fleet of diesel vehicles and generators, just because the gas engine is turbocharged, intercool doesn't make it a diesel in any respect.

Do gas engines have the following?

EGR cooler
DEF
Fuel filters (2) that need to be changed quite regularly?
High mileage intervals on oil changes
Need for antigel
CP4 failures
Glow plugs
Grid heaters
High rev's

I could go on

Just because in concept a diesel engine and a gas engine share a somewhat common block and design with pistons doesn't make them the same in any respect. my air compressor is very similar in design because any engine is essentially an air pump.

Will it have issues, I'm sure it will.

https://tuningpro.co/the-3-most-common-ford-3-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/

OP
OP
Slickace1500

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It all works well, but the issue is all related to the smog components and making them breathe/reburn their own gases. As of now the only motor Ford has not updated is the 3.0, the other motors have all gone to a dual injection system to clean the intakes because of this problem.

As for diesels, stupid EPA and people that donā€™t understand them are the problem, this is where tier 4 diesels are great because they donā€™t have all the government BS to deal with, and yes
Apples and Oranges.

I just wish ford would have turned gen 2 to gen 3 the 3.0l for the raptor and fixed a problem that is know to exists.

As for the Badlands love driving the ā€œbaby tankā€, but hey why not have more then one, so Iā€™ll be able to see the issues on both.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am pretty sure the 2.3 is ONLY Direct Injection.

Again, use a catch can.

It all works well, but the issue is all related to the smog components and making them breathe/reburn their own gases. As of now the only motor Ford has not updated is the 3.0, the other motors have all gone to a dual injection system to clean the intakes because of this problem.

As for diesels, stupid EPA and people that donā€™t understand them are the problem, this is where tier 4 diesels are great because they donā€™t have all the government BS to deal with, and yes
Apples and Oranges.

I just wish ford would have turned gen 2 to gen 3 the 3.0l for the raptor and fixed a problem that is know to exists.

As for the Badlands love driving the ā€œbaby tankā€, but hey why not have more then one, so Iā€™ll be able to see the issues on both.

OP
OP
Slickace1500

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As for a catch cans yes itā€™s a great idea, but the underlying issue that nobody likes to talk about is lubrication of the valve guides themselves. Given how the engines are designed, to a point it needs the gases to help out with that, so removal of oil can also be an issue, the idea and concepts are great but the real world results can have issues.

OP
OP
Slickace1500

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As for the 2.3l, it does have a factory installed oil/air separator on the PCV system that significantly reduces the amount of oil vapor returning to the intake to a fraction of previous iterations of this engine had. This with an updated EGR valve timing scheme to reduce contact time of exhaust gasses on the intake valves all but eliminates the need for a catch can.

But it gets better in 2024 that motor goes dual port as wellšŸ¤Ŗ
Sponsored