Sponsored

Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine?

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the current 3.0 for the Raptor have such a set up with the air/oil separator?
I don’t know for sure but Ford says any engine newer than 2018 does not need an after-market a/o separator due to a redesigned PCV system. I’d take that to mean it’s like all of their other eco boost engines that have included factory a/o separators.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford Performance actually sells a catch can for v8

Ford Bronco Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine? 1670866647123

I don’t know for sure but Ford says any engine newer than 2018 does not need an after-market a/o separator due to a redesigned PCV system. I’d take that to mean it’s like all of their other eco boost engines that have included factory a/o separators.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Performance actually sells a catch can for v8

Ford Bronco Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine? 1670866647123
Yes but that’s something included already on the most of the eco Boost engines.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes but that’s something included already on the most of the eco Boost engines.
Only the 4 cylinder ecoboost a have a factory oil separator.

Sponsored

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Run some water/meth. It’ll clear most of it up. My 6.0L turbo LS car is pretty much steam cleaned because of it

Braptor23_CO

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How is it apples to oranges? Modern gas engines are diesels with spark ignition instead of compression ignition. High pressure injection turbo charging and intercooling are all diesel technology that has been applied to gas engines to make them more efficient and powerful. My point was direct injection is not a bad thing and nobody knows yet if carbon build up is going to be a problem in the raptor.
Diesels burn much more thoroughly than gas, percentage wise.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Any results for those running a catch can? I have been checking every 1k to gauge how often to change. I have seen the lethal video and the amount they emptied but I have yet to really experience anything other than a minuscule amount from my catch can. Keep in mind I only have the single side PCV catch can.

I have waited 2k miles for this new check that I will do this weekend.

Last edited:

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Any results for those running a catch can? I have been checking every 1k to gauge how often to change. I have seen the lethal video and the amount they emptied but I have yet to really experience anything other than a minuscule amount from my catch can. Keep in mind I only have the single side PCV catch can.

I have waited 2k miles for this new check that I will do this weekend.
I am getting minimal blow-by in my UPR single side...maybe an ounce (less) every 500 miles. But it is summer (I installed in June), less deposits in summer (I have been told compared to colder months), and I drive normal...put my foot in it once a fill-up or so but normally keep in normal mode, no boost, shifts at 2,000 rpm, and coast every chance I get. 90% of my daily driving is through 35-45 roads with slight terrain changes.

SvgOne

Big Bend
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr, 2021 Jeep JLUR Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Carbon build-up on intake valves will be an inherent problem for all DI motors. IMHO, port over DI is the only way to reduce the probability of it happening. Separators and catch cans will help, but it may just take longer for it to happen. Prolonging the inevitable. Just my 2 cents. Does the 2.3L run port over injection like the 2.7L? I am curious.
Sponsored