Sponsored

Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine?

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If direct injection is so bad why has it been the standard on diesel engines from almost day one? Where is there a high mileage Bronco Raptor to even have an idea this is a problem?
Itā€™s called the explorer ST and there are no issues with the engine in that car. I had one and had zero issues besides keeping my foot out of it.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As of now the only motor Ford has not updated is the 3.0, the other motors have all gone to a dual injection system to clean the intakes because of this problem.
Helping to clean the intake and valves may be a by-product of dual fuel systems, but this certainly isnā€™t why Ford has switch many engines to use port and direct together. Itā€™s all about fuel efficiency. They arenā€™t worried about cleaning intake valves.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Slickace1500

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list. Here 2dr badlands & Raptor 1/23
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It all comes to maintenance, thereā€™s more money in repairs then the sales of the cars themselves.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thereā€™s a lot of info out there but hereā€™s the latest top Googleā€¦

https://cararac.com/blog/ford-3-0-ecoboost-engine-problems-durability.html
This article lost me while listing ā€œissuesā€ with the 3.0 ecoboost, it mentions how a source of an ignition problem could be a dirty or damaged mass air flow sensor, which I find absolutely hilarious considering it doesnā€™t even have or use a MAF sensor šŸ˜‚

Also, nano oil pan leaks really havenā€™t been a concern for years now.

All that aside.. could carbon build up cause an issue? Sure. But I guarantee that many/most 3.0ā€™s will make it and have made it far passed 100k miles before this would ever cause any type of concern whatsoever. So Iā€™m not sure how you can even claim it has anything to do with maintenance at that point.

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As for a catch cans yes itā€™s a great idea, but the underlying issue that nobody likes to talk about is lubrication of the valve guides themselves. Given how the engines are designed, to a point it needs the gases to help out with that, so removal of oil can also be an issue, the idea and concepts are great but the real world results can have issues.
The valve guides are lubricated in the valve galleries above the cylinders. Most Ford DI engines already have an included air/oil separator included which does what a catch can would do but plumbs fluids back to the crankcase. Carbon buildup should be minimal.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Slickace1500 isn't wrong. This same direct injection only issue has long plagued BMW motors. Valve stem seals fail early and carbon build up needs to be walnut blasted off which in the V8's case means dropping the motor to do so. About a $5-6K job on average. Inline 6 probably doable in the car though.

From a fuel efficiency perspective it is ideal to have both but it does without question keep the valves clean having port injection on top. It requires two fuel systems essentially. A low pressure 40-120 psi or so system for the port and a mult-thousand PSI system for the direct injection. Lexus and many other car manufacturers use it. Works well.

In the meantime flooring it for a good stretch of road on your way home will in fact help this issue. Catch can's really don't help much. The blow by oil is only a small part of the equation, the rest is combustion gases in the crank case itself.

EGR's certainly don't help. Marginally better for emissions but really awful for component longevity.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well looks like Ford dropped the ball on 3.0L engine for the Braptor. oil-carbon build up on the valves will be an issue. No engine model changes for the Braptor, so got the DI(direct injection) vs the other models that are running port and direct, so looks like the Braptor comes with higher maintance cost down the road. Way to go fordā€¦.weā€™ll letā€™s hope the lawsuits play out and benefit us consumers.
So I have a 3.5 DI ecoboost from 2011, 250k miles, no carbon problems, should not be a problem for Raptor drivers as long as they drive like they stole it.

That's how I kept my 3.5 free of carbon deposits.

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just start spraying water meth. Got it on my LS, it pretty much steam cleans the intake valves.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just start spraying water meth. Got it on my LS, it pretty much steam cleans the intake valves.
Big water meth fan, I've run it on everything, from Turbo jet ski's to high horsepower race cars and diesels with great success,

Low egt's, clean motors, and an extra 25 points of octane is never a bad thing. However... it can wash cylinders, eat valve stem seals, and more. So it's a less is more equation when tuning for it.

A lot of pro's though when dialed in correctly but best used in race car applications versus long term in a daily motor. In a raptor I would probably run mostly water. No octane rewards but lowered egt's, decreased likelyhood of detonation, and a clean motor is never a bad thing.
Sponsored