Sponsored

Carbon issues in the making for 3.0L Bronco Raptor engine?

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My focus is Turbo Direct Injection, 10 years old and have no issues.
Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My last Corvette and my current one are DI. So far no issues. 1 I only run top tier fuel in it. I do drive it and use the full RPM range .

Top Tier fuels have the best additive packages, owners manual for my Corvette says use only top tier fuel. Bronco Raptor recommends only top tier fuel.

Only thing I have put in my Raptor is Top Tier fuel. I also use the RPM range.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My last Corvette and my current one are DI. So far no issues. 1 I only run top tier fuel in it. I do drive it and use the full RPM range .

Top Tier fuels have the best additive packages, owners manual for my Corvette says use only top tier fuel. Bronco Raptor recommends only top tier fuel.

Yeah, I only run 87 when I am short change. In MI we have up to 93. That being said I have the 2.7 so hopefully the port + DI will add even more longevity. Interesting that the 3.0 only has DI. I assume due to complexity and time constraints in design.

camojeeper

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Exactly! Nothing but top tier fuel in my vette
As well as my big bore Stroker Hogs and our twin turbo fords.
I am spoiled I have a 550 Gal tank of super on my ranch full of chevron with Lucas oil fuel/upper cylinder lube.
I too use all of the RPM range with a dash of the Red part

Sponsored

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Big water meth fan, I've run it on everything, from Turbo jet ski's to high horsepower race cars and diesels with great success,

Low egt's, clean motors, and an extra 25 points of octane is never a bad thing. However... it can wash cylinders, eat valve stem seals, and more. So it's a less is more equation when tuning for it.

A lot of pro's though when dialed in correctly but best used in race car applications versus long term in a daily motor. In a raptor I would probably run mostly water. No octane rewards but lowered egt's, decreased likelyhood of detonation, and a clean motor is never a bad thing.
Do you know if it voids warranty? I imagine it would

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you know if it voids warranty? I imagine it would
Hard to say, some factory vehicles come stock with it. Like the BMW M4 GTS, because it made more power than a standard M4 and needed to offset detonation. I honestly think if it was reasonably concealed a dealer wouldn't even know what it was.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

FLSTFI Dave has it right, Top Tier is the minimum additive package you want to put in your vehicle.

Never heard anything based in research about redlining being good for your engine (reducing carbon deposits), but it’s good for your soul, so why not…..

Excerpt from an Consumer Reports article on Top Tier that cites a 2016 AAA comprehensive study (as opposed to anecdotal statements and opinions) on additive packages. The results below correlate with internal information I received working in fuels marketing and refining for a multinational oil co.

The difference is real: In 2016, AAA had an independent engine testing lab look at how Top Tier fuel affects carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves—which can result in a rough idle, acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy. The results showed that on average, non-Top Tier gasoline had 19 times more carbon deposits on injectors, on intake valves, and in the combustion chamber than Top Tier gasoline.

AAA also found that Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

“The price at the pump is only one aspect of purchasing gas,” says Ellen Edmonds, spokesperson for AAA. “Opting for Top Tier fuel saves money in the long run because it’s better for the vehicle.”

One way you can definitely save money: If your car says it “recommends” premium gas but doesn’t require it, you can switch to regular. Our tests found no differences in performance or fuel economy between the two. And if a retailer sells Top Tier fuel, all octane grades from regular to premium gasoline and diesel must adhere to the Top Tier standards. So it is not necessary for drivers to upgrade to premium to gain the cleansing benefits.

OP
OP
Slickace1500

Slickace1500

Badlands
First Name
Garan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list. Here 2dr badlands & Raptor 1/23
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of that is correct, but most of the testing is done with a port injection system, and not direct injection. Therefore, the top fuel or premium fuels, cleans the intake valves to prevent the buildup. Direct injection systems have no method of washing the valves. This is where the issue lies with the dirty intake, runners, and valves.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So many words just to say you’re afraid of walnut shells and a shop vac every 60,000 miles

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

my right foot cleans valves well plus I don't run junk octane gas in my performance vehicles.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Exactly! Nothing but top tier fuel in my vette
As well as my big bore Stroker Hogs and our twin turbo fords.
I am spoiled I have a 550 Gal tank of super on my ranch full of chevron with Lucas oil fuel/upper cylinder lube.
I too use all of the RPM range with a dash of the Red part
I run Top tier in everything I own that uses gas. If the owners manual doesn't require premium, then I do not put the 93 in it, rather the 87.

My 2019 CVO Road Glide has 62K miles on it. 40K on a very built 130" motor, not a harley kit. Its S&S 128" cylinder we bored to 130 before HJD came out with the 131? Bumped the compression a full point to 12.1 to 1, crank is trued, balanced and welded. CR-480 cam, Rekluse tor drive clutch, HPI 62 mm throttle body, head work, 1 mm over sized valves, and the list goes on. 167 Torque, and 163 hp. Makes more torque at 2000 rpm than the motor mad stock at peak.

Had a lifter fail a couple months ago. There was zero carbon build up on the pistons and the head. Guy who does my head work looked at them an he said I would be waisting my money to clean them up.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FLSTFI Dave has it right, Top Tier is the minimum additive package you want to put in your vehicle.

Never heard anything based in research about redlining being good for your engine (reducing carbon deposits), but it’s good for your soul, so why not…..

Excerpt from an Consumer Reports article on Top Tier that cites a 2016 AAA comprehensive study (as opposed to anecdotal statements and opinions) on additive packages. The results below correlate with internal information I received working in fuels marketing and refining for a multinational oil co.

The difference is real: In 2016, AAA had an independent engine testing lab look at how Top Tier fuel affects carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves—which can result in a rough idle, acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy. The results showed that on average, non-Top Tier gasoline had 19 times more carbon deposits on injectors, on intake valves, and in the combustion chamber than Top Tier gasoline.

AAA also found that Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

“The price at the pump is only one aspect of purchasing gas,” says Ellen Edmonds, spokesperson for AAA. “Opting for Top Tier fuel saves money in the long run because it’s better for the vehicle.”

One way you can definitely save money: If your car says it “recommends” premium gas but doesn’t require it, you can switch to regular. Our tests found no differences in performance or fuel economy between the two. And if a retailer sells Top Tier fuel, all octane grades from regular to premium gasoline and diesel must adhere to the Top Tier standards. So it is not necessary for drivers to upgrade to premium to gain the cleansing benefits.
I have never seen anything definitive about using all the RPM. But I have heard it helps. Heck if it doesn't, the sound of the Corvette running the gears to red line sure sounds good and puts a smile on my face. When I say running the gears, 3rd is about all you can run out on a public road, and that puts you a little over 90 mph

Bronco sounds good running the gears also, nothing like a V-8 but does sound good, like it has power.

As for premium, my Corvette says premium. My F-150 3.5 EB Recommend premium. I did notice with 93 it got 1 to 2 mpg better, and did better towing.

My Raptor First two tanks were 93, dealer put first tank in and I did the second. Since its all been 87. MPG is the same and I notice no difference in performance.

The statement about if they Sell Top Tier all grades must adhere to it is true. This also applies to the non-ethanol fuel if they sell it. Station near me has both 87 and 93 non-ethanol.

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The valve guides are lubricated in the valve galleries above the cylinders. Most Ford DI engines already have an included air/oil separator included which does what a catch can would do but plumbs fluids back to the crankcase. Carbon buildup should be minimal.
Does the current 3.0 for the Raptor have such a set up with the air/oil separator?
Sponsored