Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hmm... So I'm sitting here asking myself, do I need the locking storage, or is the fact that it's underneath the cargo mat enough of a deterrent. (I.E. is having the cargo mat (which I do intend to buy) over the storage area turn it into a hide a key situation). It's not really secure, but you'd need to know to look for it.

Also asking whether or not what I would put in it be worth more than the $500 the vault costs.
That's a good point. I don't plan to keep things of high value in it but I wondered if I might want to leave the top down and temporarily leave the car with my wallet or phone in it, for example at the beach.

It's still not cheap but I got it at fordpartsamerica for 370 plus tax/shipping. Just paste in the part number: VM2DZ-9906202-B
Sponsored

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a good point. I don't plan to keep things of high value in it but I wondered if I might want to leave the top down and temporarily leave the car with my wallet or phone in it, for example at the beach.

It's still not cheap but I got it at fordpartsamerica for 370 plus tax/shipping. Just paste in the part number: VM2DZ-9906202-B

I had a similar thought, but for stuff like cell phone and wallet I think the center console vault is a better fit. My other concern with the cargo safe is how do I get at if the cargo area has stuff in it (like beach chairs, umbrellas and coolers.)

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recently installed the cargo area safe from Console Vault and wanted to share some information and pictures for anyone considering it for their Bronco. This is the one that installs flush with the cargo floor and will not prevent the Bronco doors from being stored in the cargo area.

Ford accessories image:
stock image.jpg

My concern with this safe/vault was whether or not it would be secure enough to store anything of value. I have a soft top, which I know can be cut or removed. I may have the top down and be away from the car. I've even read that some people leave their soft top cars unlocked to avoid damage by someone intent on breaking in.

I couldn't find any install videos or reviews for this vault so I went through some extra effort before installing it, just so I could understand how it worked and how secure it was.

A normal installation would be very easy and take about 10 minutes. All you need is a 10 mm socket with a small ratchet. All you do is place the vault into the cargo area plastic insert and secure it by opening the vault door, reaching in and securing 6 screws from the inside of the vault. The screws go through the plastic insert to secure the vault.

Here is a picture of the underside of the vault:

3 vaultbottom.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't sure if the screws were going to hit anything substantial or if the vault could be easily lifted out along with the plastic insert, simply by unbolting the plastic insert.

So I removed the built in floor liner by removing the four "lasso" hooks in the corners of the cargo area. Once that was lifted up and out of the way, the four bolts holding down the plastic insert could be removed. With the floor liner down, the two bolts toward the front of the car that hold the insert down are visible but difficult to get a wrench or socket on to. That's the first challenge for a would-be thief that might want to try to unbolt the plastic liner and remove it with the vault.

1 liner.jpg

Liner door lifted up:

2 lineropen.jpg

Liner lifted up:

6 lineroff.jpg

After removing the plastic insert, I looked for any nearby metal that I may be able to tap into with longer screws but nothing looked usable or easy. Then I realized that they key to this method of securing the vault is that the screws are long enough to go under the metal cargo floor in every direction.

7 insert out.jpg

This picture is after placing the vault in the plastic insert and screwing in one screw. I wanted to see how far they stick out.

8 screw showing.jpg

9 screw over metal.jpg

The vault walls have thick, threaded screw holes. So the screws are securely connected to the vault walls. The connection to the plastic insert is mostly cosmetic because the way this thing really stays put is by having the screws extend below the metal floor.

4 vaultbottomclose.jpg

5 vaultkit.jpg

If someone wanted to remove the vault, I hate to think about the damage they would do to the floor and plastic insert but they would likely leave frustrated. I also got under the car to see if the screws could be cut off but I couldn't get a single glimpse of a screw. The vault sits right over the muffler, which is under a heat shield. There's just too much stuff in the way. Score another point for security!

I'm pretty happy with it. It's solid and heavy. It comes with two keys. A standard installation could NOT be easier.

10 installed.jpg

11 cargo mat.jpg

Pros: The metal is very heavy. It fits perfectly. Installation is easy. It's somewhat hidden. It would be very difficult to remove by someone not familiar with how it is secured.

Cons: It's not screwed into solid metal.
It looks like the plastic well protrudes through the floor pan. Did you seal the opening in the floor before bolting everything back into place. I’ve heard of moisture problems and wonder if sealing the area will alleviate them.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a similar thought, but for stuff like cell phone and wallet I think the center console vault is a better fit. My other concern with the cargo safe is how do I get at if the cargo area has stuff in it (like beach chairs, umbrellas and coolers.)
I was thinking the same thing. I think I will start off with the center console vault. The only issue with the center console vault is that you can't use the 12v adapter that in the console. I usally use that for charging my wife's phone when we are riding together. The console has a slot at the top that lets the cable come through nicely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
khatch

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I considered the center one as well. I chose this one just because it was hidden. But I agree the console would be more convenient.

OP
OP
khatch

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It looks like the plastic well protrudes through the floor pan. Did you seal the opening in the floor before bolting everything back into place. I’ve heard of moisture problems and wonder if sealing the area will alleviate them.
No. I didn’t think about that.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
The vault requires a separate key so you’d still have a key with you.
Ah, good point! I didn't really think that one through.
Wouldn't anyone be able to drive off with your Bronco then?
That's why I was asking him or her to test it out. It might not have a strong enough signal to let the vehicle start.

Sponsored

ssstang67

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 & 2011 Mustang 2012 F-150 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's alot of money for something so small. Why not get the whole rear security trunk? About same maybe lil bit more and you can secure alot more.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, would you mind trying to start the vehicle with the key inside the vault? I may want to leave the key in the vault while kayaking or going to the beach or whatever. Thank you!
If you put your key fob in this storage space, can you start the truck? It would be convenient to lock my fob & other keys in this, and just carry the smaller key.
I would wager that it's likely it starts with the key in the vault. What you can do though is put a Faraday cage in the vault with your key in there to prevent the transmission of any signals.
IF the fob signal is still strong enough, just wrap the fob in Aluminum Foil (aka - Faraday Cage).

As for still needing to carry a key, one small key on a necklace (like Dog Tags) shouldn't be a problem for most. I'd also think that this vault comes with two keys (OP can verify) and if so, the second key could be secured to the vehicle somewhere so that if you lost the key that you were carrying, there would still be a key available for you to use to access the vault.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was thinking the same thing. I think I will start off with the center console vault. The only issue with the center console vault is that you can't use the 12v adapter that in the console. I usally use that for charging my wife's phone when we are riding together. The console has a slot at the top that lets the cable come through nicely.
There was a thread on the center consoles a while back and looking at the pictures, there may be enough "daylight" on the sides of the lid to fit a thin charging wire. I plan to get a console safe with my FordPass points. I realize it isn't Fort Knox, but it can keep sunglasses from being an easy target.

Photos of Console Vault for Bronco | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

TheSpydyr

Outer Banks
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT; 2020 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

still about 500 bucks and its not that big to put anything worth more then it in it
Hand-gun; wife's purse with all CC's/money, etc. There's plenty of small things that you might put in there in certain situations.
Sponsored