Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's why I was asking him or her to test it out. It might not have a strong enough signal to let the vehicle start.
I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't have a strong enough signal to open the back gate, then you won't be able to access the storage area.
Sponsored

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recently installed the cargo area safe from Console Vault and wanted to share some information and pictures for anyone considering it for their Bronco. This is the one that installs flush with the cargo floor and will not prevent the Bronco doors from being stored in the cargo area.

Ford accessories image:
stock image.jpg

My concern with this safe/vault was whether or not it would be secure enough to store anything of value. I have a soft top, which I know can be cut or removed. I may have the top down and be away from the car. I've even read that some people leave their soft top cars unlocked to avoid damage by someone intent on breaking in.

I couldn't find any install videos or reviews for this vault so I went through some extra effort before installing it, just so I could understand how it worked and how secure it was.

A normal installation would be very easy and take about 10 minutes. All you need is a 10 mm socket with a small ratchet. All you do is place the vault into the cargo area plastic insert and secure it by opening the vault door, reaching in and securing 6 screws from the inside of the vault. The screws go through the plastic insert to secure the vault.

Here is a picture of the underside of the vault:

3 vaultbottom.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't sure if the screws were going to hit anything substantial or if the vault could be easily lifted out along with the plastic insert, simply by unbolting the plastic insert.

So I removed the built in floor liner by removing the four "lasso" hooks in the corners of the cargo area. Once that was lifted up and out of the way, the four bolts holding down the plastic insert could be removed. With the floor liner down, the two bolts toward the front of the car that hold the insert down are visible but difficult to get a wrench or socket on to. That's the first challenge for a would-be thief that might want to try to unbolt the plastic liner and remove it with the vault.

1 liner.jpg

Liner door lifted up:

2 lineropen.jpg

Liner lifted up:

6 lineroff.jpg

After removing the plastic insert, I looked for any nearby metal that I may be able to tap into with longer screws but nothing looked usable or easy. Then I realized that they key to this method of securing the vault is that the screws are long enough to go under the metal cargo floor in every direction.

7 insert out.jpg

This picture is after placing the vault in the plastic insert and screwing in one screw. I wanted to see how far they stick out.

8 screw showing.jpg

9 screw over metal.jpg

The vault walls have thick, threaded screw holes. So the screws are securely connected to the vault walls. The connection to the plastic insert is mostly cosmetic because the way this thing really stays put is by having the screws extend below the metal floor.

4 vaultbottomclose.jpg

5 vaultkit.jpg

If someone wanted to remove the vault, I hate to think about the damage they would do to the floor and plastic insert but they would likely leave frustrated. I also got under the car to see if the screws could be cut off but I couldn't get a single glimpse of a screw. The vault sits right over the muffler, which is under a heat shield. There's just too much stuff in the way. Score another point for security!

I'm pretty happy with it. It's solid and heavy. It comes with two keys. A standard installation could NOT be easier.

10 installed.jpg

11 cargo mat.jpg

Pros: The metal is very heavy. It fits perfectly. Installation is easy. It's somewhat hidden. It would be very difficult to remove by someone not familiar with how it is secured.

Cons: It's not screwed into solid metal.
Thanks for sharing. I thought of getting this. Not so sure now.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hand-gun; wife's purse with all CC's/money, etc. There's plenty of small things that you might put in there in certain situations.
just get the center console one for about 270 for things like that ,I have one for my KL

TheSpydyr

Outer Banks
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT; 2020 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

just get the center console one for about 270 for things like that ,I have one for my KL
I realize you canuse the console one...I was just pointing out that there are plenty of valuable items that small enough to put in the bock vault to answer that person's post that there's nothing that would really need to go in there.

Bwaggs83

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The door opening is 19" by 4.5".

IMG_7908.jpg

IMG_7909.jpg
Is that a drain hole so you can secure your beer and drain the excess water later?

Sponsored
OP
OP
khatch

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is that a drain hole so you can secure your beer and drain the excess water later?
Yes it is a drain hole. Your beer may get a little warm there. ;)

Bwaggs83

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This would work well to secure a CCW firearm when you need to leave it in the vehicle to catch a baseball game.

L_Brady_

Base
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for taking the time to do this! A lot of people, including myself, are considering one and curious.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wish it wasn't as expensive, but seeing The pictures the OP took, it raises two questions?

1) there have been threads about people developing some pretty good condensation in that area. I'd hate to put something in there and find it in a puddle of water.

2) I can't believe that leads to the outside, and it has a small strip of foam as the seal? You telling me that as soon as someone goes through some water, their whole trunk's going to be soaked?

Someone question why you would have to replace that plastic piece later if you removed the safe, it's because you putting holes straight into the outside environment. So no you don't have to replace it, but you'd have to get some silicone and fill in those holes.

I will say, one of my projects, of course once I actually get a Bronco, will be to pull this thing out and actually seal it properly so that no outside water can make its way inside.

One final thought, as expensive as this is, it would be the solution to California's new law about firearms left in vehicles must be in a locked box, hidden, AND attached to the vehicle.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The install instrux suck. Way out of order, wasted an hour...

Wasted an hour only to take it all apart, changes steps and reinstall. In installing the longer screws that go into the console, the fins are too large to enter the screwholes, and you cannot get enough pressure from inside to contact the threads, AND you don't need to top plate on at all yet!

So I undid the top, pulled out the sides part, partially installed the longer screws until they did make contact with the threads, and then re-installed. Once they have contact, they go in much better.

Beer.
Sponsored