Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ML 350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has done this once since acquiring my Bronco in October. Actually it was yesterday when I first got in the car. I just pulled over and turned off the engine and restarted. All is good now.
Turning off and restarting fixed the issue. It seems to be working fine for short drives and only occurs when the carplay is on for over 30-40mins
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi,

Is anybody experiencing CarPlay screen freezing and unresponsive after 30-40mins of driving? My car is only a week old and recently when I went for a long drive, CarPlay screen became unresponsive after around 40mins of driving. I'm able to use other screen selections like, like Sync navigation, radio, settings... but only the CarPlay screen is frozen. The same situation happened again when I was driving back from the same trip. I'm using Apple CarPlay and have connected my Iphone 13 to CarPlay through bluetooth.

I saw this similar issue posted in a different Ford forum,
https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/108776-apple-carplay-freezing/
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have taken a couple of long trips, and I can say that I had big issues using Wireless CarPlay/Waze/Pandora/Charging. My phone (iPhone XR) would get very hot on the wireless charging pad after some time. The first trip, CarPlay would reset itself, then reconnect, over and over again. On this trip, I used the onboard navigation and Pandora and all was well, except charging, like I said, the phone was getting really hot. Hope that helps.

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was actually commenting to my wife how much better CarPlay is in the Bronco compared to our 2019 BMW X3. She agreed. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble because there is nothing more frustrating.

I know this sounds stupid (even does writing it) but have you restarted your phone? Is the phone fully updated? Is your Ford fully updated too? Another idea would be unpairing it and repair it. I am certainly no expert but some simple things that could help. Good luck!

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi,

Is anybody experiencing CarPlay screen freezing and unresponsive after 30-40mins of driving? My car is only a week old and recently when I went for a long drive, CarPlay screen became unresponsive after around 40mins of driving. I'm able to use other screen selections like, like Sync navigation, radio, settings... but only the CarPlay screen is frozen. The same situation happened again when I was driving back from the same trip. I'm using Apple CarPlay and have connected my Iphone 13 to CarPlay through bluetooth.

I saw this similar issue posted in a different Ford forum,
https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/108776-apple-carplay-freezing/
I stopped using wireless Carplay and ONLY use WIRED Carplay .... but it still drops the connection periodically ..... while playing music it just stops randomly

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hard restarting the sync display and phone fixes it everytime for me, until the next time it bugs out usually a few weeks later.

OP
OP
Shronco

Shronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ML 350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was actually commenting to my wife how much better CarPlay is in the Bronco compared to our 2019 BMW X3. She agreed. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble because there is nothing more frustrating.

I know this sounds stupid (even does writing it) but have you restarted your phone? Is the phone fully updated? Is your Ford fully updated too? Another idea would be unpairing it and repair it. I am certainly no expert but some simple things that could help. Good luck!
Its a new Iphone 13 with most recent updates on phone and Sync4. While driving I actually restarted the phone to see if the carplay gets back and running but didn't help. Only switching the engine off and on helped.

OP
OP
Shronco

Shronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ML 350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stopped using wireless Carplay and ONLY use WIRED Carplay .... but it still drops the connection periodically ..... while playing music it just stops randomly
I guess dropping connection is a common thing, but being completely unresponsive/carplay screen freezing is annoying.

MR_LIONBOT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MINI Cooper S 4-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had mine freeze up using Apple (iphone 13) Carplay google maps navigation for about 30 minutes. Screen completely froze, didn't recognize any touch inputs. Parking, turning off vehicle and opening door seems to reset it. Hasn't done it again since. I did notice the navigation was having trouble figuring out what street I was on going through a interstate interchange through the city with a lot of streets nearby at different elevations, so maybe the constant "re-calculating" contributed to it getting stuck.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

but its especially ANNOYING when you are not even using wireless!!

Sponsored

bronK1TT

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been having horrendous audio skipping with wired CarPlay, especially when using Waze and surround on my B&O. Some days it's constant, others it's occasional.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have taken a couple of long trips, and I can say that I had big issues using Wireless CarPlay/Waze/Pandora/Charging. My phone (iPhone XR) would get very hot on the wireless charging pad after some time. The first trip, CarPlay would reset itself, then reconnect, over and over again. On this trip, I used the onboard navigation and Pandora and all was well, except charging, like I said, the phone was getting really hot. Hope that helps.
Just to update on my post. I took a few hour road trip and this time I turned off my wireless on my iPhone and connected my USB cable, CarPlay was flawless the entire time, no CarPlay reboot, all is good. Next time you are out, try it. This problem has something to do with Wireless CarPlay.

Columbusbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Porsche Cayenne S
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same exact issues with my 2022 Outer Banks Lux Bronco. I have experienced the freezing of the screen and it seems to be related to Waze and losing your cellular connection as it happens in the same area for me on a regular route that is one hour into the drive. I am still able to use Spotify on the smaller right portion of the screen. Only rebooting my iPhone 13 and/or restarting the Bronco fixes the issue. Also, the wireless charging heat is silly. It actually will cause my iPhone 13 to shut down until it cools down. C’mon Ford!

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No issues for me but the other day I ran over some railroad tracks at 40MPH and the song changed?!

aggrad2010

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Was having major issues with wireless carplay - crashing, screen going black and restarting, excessive buffering of music under 5mph. Changed settings to wired carplay last month, and all issues are gone. Wired carplay works like a charm.
How do you switch to wired? I find a lot of times if I plug my phone in too fast when turning on the car my carplay wont connect at all. I have the freezing issue a few times a week and it pisses me off everytime. Wireless carplay doesnt really do much for me as I plug in 99% of the time to charge anyways.
Sponsored