First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Probably not a good enough question to ask in a new thread so I'll ask it here since the topic is close enough.

This will be my first time trading in a vehicle, how close is the dealer likely to come to "kbb trade in value" As in, what should I expect?
You can expect a worse offer than if you'd just walked in to buy a car, it'll be much lower than KBB trade in or CarMax trade in. With you special ordering a vehicle they have leverage over you and they will use it to pry money out of your hands

Better to sell on your own before the deal or sell to CarMax
The dealer will waste half your day just to squeeze a hundred bucks out of you
Sponsored

Lindy08

Outer Banks
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can expect a worse offer than if you'd just walked in to buy a car, it'll be much lower than KBB trade in or CarMax trade in. With you special ordering a vehicle they have leverage over you and they will use it to pry money out of your hands

Better to sell on your own before the deal or sell to CarMax
The dealer will waste half your day just to squeeze a hundred bucks out of you
This is kind of what I'm expecting. Unfortunately, I'm driving the only vehicle I own, so not much to do before pickup. Maybe a private sale for low end KBB is my best bet for a quick sale. Illinois is a cluster when it comes to vehicle tax credits and the like. Probably just have to accept the fact I'm going to take a bath on both. At least I'll have a new Bronco out of the deal...

jasminekd

Big Bend
First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I sold my car to CarMax. They gave me the best offer, 2K better than Carvana.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I sold my low mile '18 GTI to Carvana a little over 2 weeks ago after I reserved my Bronco. Saw the commercial on TV and went to the site, put my information in and they came back with an offer. Took a couple of days to contemplate it and took the offer, to me it was just too good to pass up.

Now I'm lucky, we had 3 cars for 2 drivers but now have zero car payments and one less to pay for insurance so that all goes into my down payment account.

As for the experience, excellent, once I accepted the offer you schedule a pickup date and how you want the cash. Literally the car was gone 2 days later and you don't even have to go out if you don't want, just leave keys on the seat but I went out and watched them load it up and drive away. ?

0721201721a_HDR.jpg

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would avoid trade-in, if possible. We don’t have the upper hand for this purchase. We are buying the bronco wether they take our trade or not. So they have no incentive to give us a good deal. Trade-in pricing is usually horrendous anyways.

it may be different in other places, but it’s pretty easy to sell a vehicle here. So I always just buy my new vehicle and then go sell my old one. But that may not be as easy for others.

I always figure in my time spent on selling it. Will the difference be enough to make my time worth it. And it usually does. I’ll spend a couple hours of my time to make a few extra thousand dollars, compared to trade-in value.

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sold my low mile '18 GTI to Carvana a little over 2 weeks ago after I reserved my Bronco. Saw the commercial on TV and went to the site, put my information in and they came back with an offer. Took a couple of days to contemplate it and took the offer, to me it was just too good to pass up.

Now I'm lucky, we had 3 cars for 2 drivers but now have zero car payments and one less to pay for insurance so that all goes into my down payment account.

As for the experience, excellent, once I accepted the offer you schedule a pickup date and how you want the cash. Literally the car was gone 2 days later and you don't even have to go out if you don't want, just leave keys on the seat but I went out and watched them load it up and drive away. ?

Ford Bronco Carvana- selling your car without trading in 0721201721a_HDR
They didn't inspect or test drive or anything?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

He took a few a photos, said the car looked new and drove it only to load it on the truck. I take care of my cars though, it did look new and only had 16k miles.

I do want to add they were way better than kbb price with the offer plus I got a great deal on the car to begin with since I was coming out of dieselgate and VW must have still felt guilty. Now I think it all depends on what car you're selling and the condition of course but I'm happy! Oh, for SC, we're capped at $500 for sales tax, so no incentive was there to trade it in when the Bronco arrives.

They didn't inspect or test drive or anything?

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an offer on my 2016 Challenger Hellcat right now that is more than fair for this type of transaction from Carvana. It’s only about a grand less than I think I could legitimately get on my own, and I have no idea how long it would take selling it on my own either. I’m considering it for sure.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was in the same situation and decided to take carvanas offer. They are reviewing everything right now but so far it has been painless

OP
OP

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

They are also reviewing my information today. I hope to hear back tomorrow to arrange sale location.

Sponsored

tomknight

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep (3), Fiat Spider, MB ML
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've bought and sold a few cars on ebay. I used escrow.com for my sales.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Privately sold a 2014 Ford Fusion recently. Ended up getting about $600 above Carvana’s offer (roughly 9%).

I thought in hindsight the offer was quite reasonable, especially depending on what your time is worth. Actually makes me curious about their business model if they’re willing to pay so well for something they are going to conceivably flip. Sheer volume through ease of use? 9% ain’t nothing if they can do that over and over and over and over...

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He took a few a photos, said the car looked new and drove it only to load it on the truck. I take care of my cars though, it did look new and only had 16k miles.

I do want to add they were way better than kbb price with the offer plus I got a great deal on the car to begin with since I was coming out of dieselgate and VW must have still felt guilty. Now I think it all depends on what car you're selling and the condition of course but I'm happy! Oh, for SC, we're capped at $500 for sales tax, so no incentive was there to trade it in when the Bronco arrives.
Thanks for the info. I got an offer from Carvana for one of my cars today that I may not be able to refuse.

Figment

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Carvana is picking up my BMW Friday. Bested anyone else’s offer by 2k.

With the husband working from home for the foreseeable future we decided to get the most for it we could as we only really need one car now.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aside from Carvana... This is more in terms of trading in to a dealer v. selling on your own:

Let me introduce you to a term that dealer sales staff uses, FOURSQUARE.

There are 4 elements of a deal called FOURSQUARE (some salespeople even have a worksheet to use for each customer for notes against this).
1. Price
2. Amount Down
3. Trade In
4. Monthly payment/Interest Rate

The dealer will try to figure out very early which you are most concerned with and adjust the other numbers accordingly to THEIR advantage. If you want to have the upper hand only commit to price at the beginning and try to get that to be as low as possible with a cash deal.

Psychologically, if you come in and tell the dealer that you really want to beat KBB trade in values, the dealer will "give in" and do it and you will think that that you "won". But the dealer may have given you unfavorable terms for the interest rate and/or may not have given you the full discount on price to make up for that loss.

To counter this, I have locked in a deal in terms of a cash price THEN went to a credit union for the financing instead doing the dealer's options for financing. Consider offering a car as a trade in last, with the leverage that you are shopping that car trade in value at a different dealer too.

When you know the game, you can play it...
Sponsored