First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, 2021 Bronco Reserved
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's interesting how the psychological factor plays a role for so many people. If you take the question to a financial advisor, looking at it analytically, there is a clear recommendation that they will give you. However, so many people have different risk tolerance levels and apparently psychological blocks that will skew how they look at purchasing. I'm an analytical person and never realized some of the other thought processes that people have. Interesting thread...
Sponsored

BP Bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
To each their own, but youā€™d rather take your cash and put it into a depreciating asset? The Truck will depreciate the same whether you finance a little, half or all. With good credit a loan from a credit union should be less than 3% and you can easily make that on your cash just about anywhere you put it and you get to hold on to your cash So youā€™re not really in debt. You can make extra payments any time. The increased monthly payments come from the cash you kept for yourself, rather than tied up in the truck.

I respect the emotional position people take on wanting less payment, no debt, etc, but the math indicates weā€™d be better off taking out low interest loans with little down payment.

Then again, most of us are buying brand new Broncos, probably at a markup and will depreciate $5k by driving off the lot, so we arenā€™t making the best financial decision anyway :)
Yes I would sooner take cash and make a larger down payment. If I were to sell it in a year or two I donā€™t want to be writing a check to sell it. Did that once, didnā€™t like the feeling.
I donā€™t disagree with your math but everyone has their own set of reasons and way they manage their money. If I were to make the prudent financial decision I shouldnā€™t even buy one. I already have 9 vehicles and need another vehicle like I need another hole in my head.

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can afford to pay cash, but Always use other peopleā€™s money at low cost. Interests rates are super low. You can make more money smartly investing the cash and take a loan. Can always pay it off or more each month. IMHO

eastbaybronco

Badlands
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 4-Door CG Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is possibly going to be my first new vehicle purchase. I plan on putting down a big down payment, then financing the balance with my Credit Union. Where do I start first, the dealer or bank?

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is possibly going to be my first new vehicle purchase. I plan on putting down a big down payment, then financing the balance with my Credit Union. Where do I start first, the dealer or bank?
Get yourself pre-approved at your Credit Union first, that way you know the exact terms of the loan you are getting before negotiating the vehicle cost. When you have to sit in front of the Finance Person to sign the paperwork and turn down the offered dealer spiffs, you have just sped up the process of them going through the finance process, but they will still collect your pertinent data in case your financing were to fall through. The dealer typically gives you 5-7 days to complete your outside financing and your Credit Union typically wants a copy of the purchase contract to complete the finance of the purchase.

Sponsored

stufarmer

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' F450 4wd 6.7 KR - 17 F150 4wd 5.0 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I may, or may not buy anything next year. Borrowing money only remains affordable when our Economy remains Strong. Period .. If you have cash, it's foolish to spend $40,000 when your retirement investments are dwindling. We can't afford another national crisis.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm planning on saving about 5.5k and I have my Fusion which is completely paid off for a trade in and finance the rest

eastbaybronco

Badlands
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 4-Door CG Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get yourself pre-approved at your Credit Union first, that way you know the exact terms of the loan you are getting before negotiating the vehicle cost. When you have to sit in front of the Finance Person to sign the paperwork and turn down the offered dealer spiffs, you have just sped up the process of them going through the finance process, but they will still collect your pertinent data in case your financing were to fall through. The dealer typically gives you 5-7 days to complete your outside financing and your Credit Union typically wants a copy of the purchase contract to complete the finance of the purchase.
Thanks for the tips, I will pay a visit to my Credit Union soon.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any one plan to save for the purchase ?
In my country banks required 20% down payment with around 2.5% to 3.5% interest rate for cars ..
My sweet spot is to pay 40% then 4 years but in this case we know we need to wait 1-2 years so what is your plan ?

Paying cash in full ?
Sell your current car ?
Trad it with the bronco then pay the deference ? ( not good idea )
Bank ? Personal loan, car loan, property loan ...

Your idea may help someone lets share it
My current vehicle is paid for and will have some warranty left on it. If I can't get a no interest loan, I'll pay cash for the difference. Not a fan of debt.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I found out about ~6 vehicle purchases ago that making car payments makes me hate the car.

Plus I found out paying cash upfront really helps making decisions about what options/trim/upgrades are "worth" to you when you view them in terms of $k for whatever it is versus "just $5 more a month" as the sleazy finance guy tries to trick you into thinking.

Sponsored

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any one plan to save for the purchase ?
In my country banks required 20% down payment with around 2.5% to 3.5% interest rate for cars ..
My sweet spot is to pay 40% then 4 years but in this case we know we need to wait 1-2 years so what is your plan ?

Paying cash in full ?
Sell your current car ?
Trad it with the bronco then pay the deference ? ( not good idea )
Bank ? Personal loan, car loan, property loan ...

Your idea may help someone lets share it
20k down and 48 month finance

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did I miss something? Knowone has mentioned leasing? Advantages smaller montlhy payments, new Bronco vehicle in 3 to 4 years, no worries of an accident and depreciation! IMO leasing all the way!
Leasing will be at least 600 to 800 a month IMO....Not a good use of cash
Sponsored