Catalytic converter protection from thieves

soas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unfortunately my last SUV didn't fit in the garage and the Bronco won't either. Thieves sawed the cats off of my Montero at 5 in the morning, camera footage indicates it took the guys just a few mins.

I plan to get a Badlands Sasquatch. From the pics in this threadthere is some armor, but seems like there's a big gap in protection around the tunnel. Probably too soon for an aftermarket skid plate to be available?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/pictures-of-badlands-skid-plates-body-armor.15817/

I guess you could have a muffler shop weld some rebar to it, but a multi-functional skid plate seems even better.

Ford Bronco Catalytic converter protection from thieves 983-3ab49e00d0cc-MJS_stolen_catalytic_converters_2
Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It’s bullshit you have to worry about this but it’s the world we live in. If someone wants something bad enough they’ll get it. Set up some motion floodlights if you haven’t.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do a cat delete- nothing to steal then! Unless you live in one of those inspection states, then you'd be screwed.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If they can cut the exhaust and cat, then they can cut rebar. Use some heat treated tool steel instead and watch them struggle just for the entertainment.

Sponsored
OP
OP

soas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for all the input! Didn't realize rebar wasn't as solid as I thought it was. Also my apologies, I swear I did a few searches, but probably did it wrong. Found a couple of similar threads linked at the bottom of this post after the fact. For posterity's sake:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/catalytic-converter-theft-prevention.15760/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...theft-warning-potential-stupid-question.2851/

It’s bullshit you have to worry about this but it’s the world we live in. If someone wants something bad enough they’ll get it. Set up some motion floodlights if you haven’t.
Indeed. Heck, ever since they happened I no longer park on the street. I have lived in the same general area for years and this was never an issue, but living along a somewhat busy street means a lot of passersby.

Do a cat delete- nothing to steal then! Unless you live in one of those inspection states, then you'd be screwed.
Exactly that, heh. If only.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The state that he lives in would lock him up for life.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any update on what skid plates cover the cat? Stock BD is protected at all? (Mine has not arrived yet)

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Rebar will rust, spread rust, and is butter soft to cut. But I like where you are going with this. Try a hardened stainless steel.

Lt. Ron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco 1986 flareside, 2015 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
If they can cut the exhaust and cat, then they can cut rebar. Use some heat treated tool steel instead and watch them struggle just for the entertainment.
Guess the idea is if it takes them more that the average 20 seconds they will go some where else, (the next car) for easy pick n's....
Sponsored