Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question)

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not a stupid question at all. Looking around the webs, it looks like a cover is your best option. Secured nuts/castle nuts/etc do little if the "tool" for extraction is a sawsall. A nice thick piece of steal and maybe some rivets or those weird bathroom stall security screws holding it all in place. It'll likely have to be a custom job until (and if) the aftermarket catches up.

Great bikes by the way.

Nate

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not a stupid question at all. Looking around the webs, it looks like a cover is your best option. Secured nuts/castle nuts/etc do little if the "tool" for extraction is a sawsall. A nice thick piece of steal and maybe some rivets or those weird bathroom stall security screws holding it all in place. It'll likely have to be a custom job until (and if) the aftermarket catches up.

Great bikes by the way.

Nate
Thank you for one of the few thoughtful replies. Also, as a long time lurker and recent new user, I appreciate almost all of your posts.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
This is not a stupid question at all. I own a repair shop in WI and my customer's vehicles have been hit by cat thieves on 3 occasions. They use a cordless sawzall and YES suvs and pickups are an easier target due to being higher off the ground...but prius is the most popular target right now, and they obviously need a jack to get that one. Imports typically get them the most money. More manufacturers are switching to manifold mounted cats which are near impossible to steal off the car on the street. Many Imports now have a manifold cat (or cats if it's a v6) and an underbody. The underbody one is the one they steal. Historically Ford cats do not bring much money (if you want a lengthy education in the scrap value of common auto parts hire a drug addict...I did!), but all cats bring some money at the scrap yard. I don't think anyone has seen the exhaust layout for 2.7 yet, but since Ranger has had 2.3 for 2 MY, and the frame is the same, I would bet that Ranger 2.3 is identical. So you can get an idea from looking at the parts diagram from Ranger if you are ordering 2.3

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Honda Elements and 1st gen Toyota Sequoias are the easiest vehicles to steal cats from. Sometimes this is done while at red lights like a fire drill....it’s that quick. Most other vehicles are more difficult to steal cats from.

Sergio El Bailador

Black Diamond
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know it sounds like a silly issue to worry about a Cat getting stolen but that's the reality of SF, along with the high risk of getting your windows broken.

OP is a Bronco fan regardless of where he lives and there's really no need to make this political. The country is divided as fuck already - there's really no need for the toxicity and egos showing up in here.

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How does this have 3 pages? Some good options, move out of Ca or vote out the lunatics running that dumpster fire.
A: Don't make an otherwise fun forum political.
B: If you don't like/understand a thread, don't reply. You're no better than anyone else.

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A: Don't make an otherwise fun forum political.
B: If you don't like/understand a thread, don't reply. You're no better than anyone else.
Understand it well, lived in The Bay Area for 20 years. I know why they take them and why it’s going to continue. Don’t take it so personally. I have an opinion too

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honda Elements and 1st gen Toyota Sequoias are the easiest vehicles to steal cats from. Sometimes this is done while at red lights like a fire drill....it’s that quick. Most other vehicles are more difficult to steal cats from.
At red lights?! I find that hard to believe...I did a google search and couldn't find a single reference. You'd have to be super-quick and willing to take a huge risk. Especially since you can probably find one parked just around the corner.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it sounds like a silly issue to worry about a Cat getting stolen but that's the reality of SF, along with the high risk of getting your windows broken.

OP is a Bronco fan regardless of where he lives and there's really no need to make this political. The country is divided as fuck already - there's really no need for the toxicity and egos showing up in here.
Guy at work has his car windows broken at work last week. Along with everyone else parked on the block. The first several cars on the block had all there windows broken, guy must’ve gotten bored as he went on. .

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How does this have 3 pages? Some good options, move out of Ca or vote out the lunatics running that dumpster fire.
It probably got to 3 pages because 2 pages of the responders were in denial until shown proof. :unsure:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At red lights?! I find that hard to believe...I did a google search and couldn't find a single reference. You'd have to be super-quick and willing to take a huge risk. Especially since you can probably find one parked just around the corner.
Not to mention how hot they get. Can you imagine if it lands on someone?

captchathis

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

well said and it needed to be said. OP's act of starting the thread already indirectly shows his acceptance and acknowledgement of the stolen cats being an issue as a resident of San Francisco. He merely wanted to field suggestions on how to deter it.

that said I agree with those that suggested a skid plate is really the best bet.
Sponsored