Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question)

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At red lights?! I find that hard to believe...I did a google search and couldn't find a single reference. You'd have to be super-quick and willing to take a huge risk. Especially since you can probably find one parked just around the corner.
Not everything makes the internet, but I had no problems finding reports & a video of stolen cats taking as little as 30 seconds to accomplish. The info from the stop light came from the Nationwide claims adjuster handling our stolen cat claim.... she was working on 35+ stolen cat claims when I spoke with her. Thieves in LA are brazen! We put a cable lock device designed for protecting cats On our Element and never got hit again. Cost of a new exhaust system as a result was $2400.

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Best advice I can give you... Move outta Cali

317_OffRoad

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge charger, 2019 Santa Fe,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

I haven't read this thread yet so maybe someone has mentioned it already but depending on the model it could protected by a Skid plate. If not look at getting some once they become available.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've owned lifted vehicles for over 30 years and have never had any problems like what you're describing.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For those who don't live in this backwards state of California, they just are not going to understand where the OP is coming from.

All CATS in California have to be CA certified. Basically that means that you can't buy the $100 version but instead have to buy the $600 version that is CA cert.

Many muffler shops will weld on some deterents for around $200 but I've seen some pretty sorry excuses. Generally speaking they take rebar and weld it from the cat to something else under the car. The better ones build a cage and weld it to the frame.

I like the idea of a skid plate and think that would be a great dual purpose, although more expensive fix.

And even though a new car does not need to be smogged for the first several years, it is every 2 years after that. In addition many times a cat delete also requires some sort of O2 sensor trickery.

Some folks may not realize that cars sold in California ha e mores strick requirements. So much so that you can not buy a new car and bring it into California right away. So all these dealers that want us to buy our Broncos from them is a no-go.

I wish I could just remove the CAT and bolt it back in just for the smog but I don't believe you can get away with it....

In Cali, you can be failed on a Smog test if there are signs that you tampered with anything Cat forward. I almost failed once because my muffler guy moved the O2 sensor bung to the other side for more clearance.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh... one more thing I forgot to blather about while on my soapbox :)

I have a CCW but in California, under no circumstances are you allowed to even show your weapon, let alone use it unless a person is in deathly harms way and THERE WAY NO OTHER WAY TO AVOID IT.

Basically, if you could have ran, or otherwise gotten away... and you chose to use your weapon, you could very well be looking at both jail time + being sued in civil court and loosing all your stuff. Have you seen who our Att. General is?

So the idea of defending your Catalitic converter, or even you bronco for that matter is a bust.

For those that don't know, California is very anti gun, dislike the police, and wants a majority of the criminals let loose.....

Did I mention I can't wait to retire and get out of this F'd up state. ?

Ok.. off soapbox now.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya’ll are worried about cats being stolen, I’m over here leaving my keys in my unlocked vehicle.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those who don't live in this backwards state of California, they just are not going to understand where the OP is coming from.

All CATS in California have to be CA certified. Basically that means that you can't buy the $100 version but instead have to buy the $600 version that is CA cert.

Many muffler shops will weld on some deterents for around $200 but I've seen some pretty sorry excuses. Generally speaking they take rebar and weld it from the cat to something else under the car. The better ones build a cage and weld it to the frame.

I like the idea of a skid plate and think that would be a great dual purpose, although more expensive fix.

And even though a new car does not need to be smogged for the first several years, it is every 2 years after that. In addition many times a cat delete also requires some sort of O2 sensor trickery.

Some folks may not realize that cars sold in California ha e mores strick requirements. So much so that you can not buy a new car and bring it into California right away. So all these dealers that want us to buy our Broncos from them is a no-go.

I wish I could just remove the CAT and bolt it back in just for the smog but I don't believe you can get away with it....

In Cali, you can be failed on a Smog test if there are signs that you tampered with anything Cat forward. I almost failed once because my muffler guy moved the O2 sensor bung to the other side for more clearance.
You are partially correct about buying a car outside of Calif and bringing it in. There are 2 types of emissions certifications......a Federal Certification which California does not recognize and a 50 State certification which California does recognize allowing one to buy a car out of state

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You might not, but @Rogues Gambit and I do. NJ armpit of America.

Look not trying to throw shade at anyone here, or hurt anyone's feelings... But with all this talk around here I feel rather happy that I don't even lock my car at night. Sounds like everyone lives in the hood or something? I guess people in general must really suck to steal shit like that.

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If your profile is accurate, you live in DC. To which, I'd argue you absolutely live in an armpit.

And all of you people who are talking shit about California like I'm one of these spoiled yuppies, I grew up in Ohio for 26 years and, let me tell you, the quality of life here, especially the outdoors, is one of the best you could possibly imagine. So everyone saying to move out of this beautiful state clearly hasn't spent any time here. My particular city has an issue that isn't common to yours, but I'd still take it over most of your inbred locations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We may be inbred but at least our vehicles still have cats ?

My bad couldn't resist.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your profile is accurate, you live in DC. To which, I'd argue you absolutely live in an armpit.

And all of you people who are talking shit about California like I'm one of these spoiled yuppies, I grew up in Ohio for 26 years and, let me tell you, the quality of life here, especially the outdoors, is one of the best you could possibly imagine. So everyone saying to move out of this beautiful state clearly hasn't spent any time here. My particular city has an issue that isn't common to yours, but I'd still take it over most of your inbred locations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I been there, it's a beautiful state indeed, just sadly the inmates are running the asylum over there and until the power structure changes for the better, it's just a beautiful disaster
You might not, but @Rogues Gambit and I do. NJ armpit of America.

Look not trying to throw shade at anyone here, or hurt anyone's feelings... But with all this talk around here I feel rather happy that I don't even lock my car at night. Sounds like everyone lives in the hood or something? I guess people in general must really suck to steal shit like that.
Cali's and Jersey are both done dirty by politicians, just we switch colors every so often and Cali's been solid for ages

If I could, be in Texas, my kinda place, but family business keeps me stuck in this dump, so what brought you to Cali, OP?

Reactions: Kai
OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I been there, it's a beautiful state indeed, just sadly the inmates are running the asylum over there and until the power structure changes for the better, it's just a beautiful disaster

Cali's and Jersey are both done dirty by politicians, just we switch colors every so often and Cali's been solid for ages

If I could, be in Texas, my kinda place, but family business keeps me stuck in this dump, so what brought you to Cali, OP?
Better life opportunities. Long story short, I was a big fish in a small pond back in Ohio. Got noticed by the big timey California workforce, moved me over, and I'm no longer poor.

I won't live here forever, but for now, I can't imagine being anywhere else.
Sponsored