Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ya’ll are worried about cats being stolen, I’m over here leaving my keys in my unlocked vehicle.
Ya’ll are worried about cats being stolen, I’m over here leaving my keys in my unlocked vehicle.
Maybe I need to move to North Carolina ... you probably have better trails anyway!
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are partially correct about buying a car outside of Calif and bringing it in. There are 2 types of emissions certifications......a Federal Certification which California does not recognize and a 50 State certification which California does recognize allowing one to buy a car out of state
Correct... there are a few states that meet California level... but not that many.... but yes... for those that only have to meet Federal... I'm envious.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Better life opportunities. Long story short, I was a big fish in a small pond back in Ohio. Got noticed by the big timey California workforce, moved me over, and I'm no longer poor.

I won't live here forever, but for now, I can't imagine being anywhere else.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Was in San Diego, gotta check on San Francisco next time I visit

Also, skid plates do wonders as they say.

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Gotcha, that makes sense. Was in San Diego, gotta check on San Francisco next time I visit

Also, skid plates do wonders as they say.
First thing I want to do when I get my Bronco is race through Death Valley. Meet up? Haha

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First thing I want to do when I get my Bronco is race through Death Valley. Meet up? Haha
Sure, why the hell not, that'll be fun

Sponsored

HelleSchade

First Name
MChelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Element 4wd
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey, so. Here in San Francisco, catalytic converter theft is crazy high. My friend's Honda Element has had it stolen three times this year.

My issue is, given the height of the new Bronco, I feel like it'd be easy to slip under and steal parts. (Not to mention the fact these things are going to be adult Lego kits and can come apart easily if they know what they're doing.)

Has anyone ever had this happen? Any thoughts on how to prevent it? (Yes, I know to keep in the garage... But these things are meant to be driven. So try to keep the obvious ball-busting to a minimum.)

Thanks for any advice. Apologies if this is a stupid question.
August 21, 2020
I wish you never have to replace your Cat after theft.

yes, it happens more than I knew' much to my surprise and it happened to me today.
I went out to start my Element and was shocked to hear what sounded like the tell tail noise of an old beater car with a rusted out muffler close by, I did a doubletake and thought where is that POS? Since I was about to be back out of the parking spot in my Apartments front lot to return my car to it's covered and paid for spot behind the gates after the property managers had a asphalt reseal job done. Well thanks to my Spidey senses and the obvious vibrations under my feet (Elements don't have a need for Luxury snowflake extras like cushy padding and carpeting that baffle and minimize outside noises or limit road conditions from being heard and felt by it's drivers. Since all of us Element owners love the ability to power wash the mud and sand off the floor boards after getting dirty. ) Unfortunately, I realized it was coming from my vehicle and confusion set in since I was pretty sure I'd stayed on paved roads and off any sidewalks when I drove it to it's current location. My boyfriend gave me that harry eyed are you sure look that all guys are so good at. Lol I wasn't in the mood to converse about it till I could safely look under my car. I parked it in it's safer space and waited till the sizzling sun retreated to take a look and sure enough, bolts were missing in 2 places of my exhaust leaving gapping holes for gas combusted fumes and noise pollution to escape at will. Then I found your post as I did the only thing I could think of ...search the web for answers. Sadly there aren't many answers in a sea of sad posts.
I did see a few suggestions for minimizing the possibilities of easy pickings for thieves. 1. is Welding a rebar cage to make it more difficult. 2. Dash cams are also deterrents but I don't think it stops it as much as possibly taking a thieves picture to show police after the fact. 3. is etching your VIN# on your Cat or spray painting it a bright Red or Blue with an engine paint since it will be harder to sell to salvage yards with either of these done. Back to a after effect for them again still not guaranteed to stop a thief since we all know how stupid people don't think things through.
Take heart and make your ride less than an easy target if you can https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/08/01/inexpensive-diy-methods-to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft/

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

August 21, 2020

yes, it happens more than I knew' much to my surprise and it happened to me today.
I went out to start my Element and was shocked to hear what sounded like the tell tail noise of an old beater car with a rusted out muffler close by, I did a doubletake and thought where is that POS? Since I was about to be back out of the parking spot in my Apartments front lot to return my car to it's covered and paid for spot behind the gates after the property managers had a asphalt reseal job done. Well thanks to my Spidey senses and the obvious vibrations under my feet (Elements don't have a need for Luxury snowflake extras like cushy padding and carpeting that baffle and minimize outside noises or limit road conditions from being heard and felt by it's drivers. Since all of us Element owners love the ability to power wash the mud and sand off the floor boards after getting dirty. ) Unfortunately, I realized it was coming from my vehicle and confusion set in since I was pretty sure I'd stayed on paved roads and off any sidewalks when I drove it to it's current location. My boyfriend gave me that harry eyed are you sure look that all guys are so good at. Lol I wasn't in the mood to converse about it till I could safely look under my car. I parked it in it's safer space and waited till the sizzling sun retreated to take a look and sure enough, bolts were missing in 2 places of my exhaust leaving gapping holes for gas combusted fumes and noise pollution to escape at will. Then I found your post as I did the only thing I could think of ...search the web for answers. Sadly there aren't many answers in a sea of sad posts.
I did see a few suggestions for minimizing the possibilities of easy pickings for thieves. 1. is Welding a rebar cage to make it more difficult. 2. Dash cams are also deterrents but I don't think it stops it as much as possibly taking a thieves picture to show police after the fact. 3. is etching your VIN# on your Cat or spray painting it a bright Red or Blue with an engine paint since it will be harder to sell to salvage yards with either of these done. Back to a after effect for them again still not guaranteed to stop a thief since we all know how stupid people don't think things through.
Take heart and make your ride less than an easy target if you can https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/08/01/inexpensive-diy-methods-to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft/
I'm so sorry. It's super common here and it's terrible it happened to you in New Mexico. But a small part of me is happy in feeling validated after this thread made me and my location look like shit and that I was just a naive asshole.

All that aside, if full-belly skid plates are available at purchase, I'm going to get them. If not, the aftermarket should have them soon enough from the offroad-heavy companies.

Best of luck to you.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your profile is accurate, you live in DC. To which, I'd argue you absolutely live in an armpit.

And all of you people who are talking shit about California like I'm one of these spoiled yuppies, I grew up in Ohio for 26 years and, let me tell you, the quality of life here, especially the outdoors, is one of the best you could possibly imagine. So everyone saying to move out of this beautiful state clearly hasn't spent any time here. My particular city has an issue that isn't common to yours, but I'd still take it over most of your inbred locations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know, I was with you till this post. Inbred?? By that talk now I know why you live in SF. San Francisco was beautiful at one time. I lived in California for 58 years and it is as beautiful as you say. But there is a lot wrong with the State too and one of the biggest is people who like to call people who disagree with them names like inbred. That's just ignorant. One of the reasons I moved out last year. too bad.

OP
OP
Boston182

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You know, I was with you till this post. Inbred?? By that talk now I know why you live in SF. San Francisco was beautiful at one time. I lived in California for 58 years and it is as beautiful as you say. But there is a lot wrong with the State too and one of the biggest is people who like to call people who disagree with them names like inbred. That's just ignorant. One of the reasons I moved out last year. too bad.
Dude. I'm from Ohio. Born, raised, and educated for 26 years. And as much as I love my home, it's ass-backwards and inbred as hell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, Reno... If it were me, personally, I'd have trouble living there with the drug epidemic there. But we all take good with bad anywhere we live. SF has a lot of bad, but a tonnnnn of good that doesn't get the light or commentary it deserves. But I'd imagine you take pride in Reno, as I do SF, as well as my inbred home town in Ohio.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude. I'm from Ohio. Born, raised, and educated for 26 years. And as much as I love my home, it's ass-backwards and inbred as hell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, Reno... If it were me, personally, I'd have trouble living there with the drug epidemic there. But we all take good with bad anywhere we live. SF has a lot of bad, but a tonnnnn of good that doesn't get the light or commentary it deserves. But I'd imagine you take pride in Reno, as I do SF, as well as my inbred home town in Ohio.

I grew up in Monterey , dad was a commercial fisherman, spent a lot of time in SF. I know what it was and I know what it is. As far as Reno, I've only been here a year and it is pretty awesome, spent the last thirty years in Hermosa Beach, work in the film business. Haven't notice any drug epidemics here, but I guess people find what they are looking for wherever they are.

This wasn't about your area and I don't care who you used to be, the person here resorts to calling people inbred when defensive. This is a better site than that. Imma let it go at that.

We are all here because we dig Broncos, get a skid plate to protect your cat and maybe one for your ego too. Enjoy the new rig...: )

Sponsored

Bronco4me

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura TLX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"CA would be a great place to live if you could remove the Californians."????
Wow man. Which Californian hurt you that you hate us so much?

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
August 21, 2020

After we replaced the entire exhaust system, we also had the Catclamp attached for protection and never had an issue afterwards.
https://catclamp.com/

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been happening all over the United States, in big cities and rural communities.

Stephens Auto Center in Danville, West Virginia (population 691 in the 2010 census) had about 20 stolen back in January...

I hate this for Stephens Auto Center but they posted on FB that over the last 2 nights someone has stolen catalytic converters off some of their vehicles. They are offering a reward for information.
Sorry for the delay in getting to everyone. We have almost all of the FEs knocked out. Chase told me that the options were limited on the FEs, so that will come later (we guess) from Ford. Someone mentioned above, we had about 20 or so catalytic converters stolen from vehicles Friday Morning and Saturday Morning. Chase and I both had parts to play in getting that handled, so the ordering was a little backed up. He'll get back on track this week.

/john

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After we replaced the entire exhaust system, we also had the Catclamp attached for protection and never had an issue afterwards.
https://catclamp.com/
That looks hilarious but I've tried to cut cable with a sawzall before so seeing that would divert me to the next victim, for sure!

I don't remember if there was a secondary cat but the primary one (at least on this 2.7L) was tucked way up by the firewall so it should be safe.
Ford Bronco Catalytic Converter Theft (Warning: Potential Stupid Question) PXL_20210422_163635547

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Where at in ohio?
Sponsored