K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The catch can is supposed to help with carbon build up on DI engines. Because the 2.7 is Di/Pi you shouldn't need a catch can because the Pi should clean the carbon off.. However,I haven't found anything that says it will hurt the engine if added.

I'm not sure if this is true due to not owning a Ford vehicle, but I heard that Ford recommends adding a catch can to their Di engines, and it states this in the owners manual. If this is true then I wouldn't think they would void a warranty, especially if you buy a plug n play version made for your specific engine?
I have never seen on any of my Ford vehicles where they state that they recommend a catch can. If that is true than I take back my comment But I would have to verify that
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you also monitored oil levels in the motor? The very few people who have had fuel dilutions issues in their oil reported noticeable oil rise on the dipstick from "full". This has been the smoking gun for the ~15 rangers (out of over 20,000 forum members) who end up needing the high pressure fuel pump replaced.

Comically, it's those ~15 members experience which constitutes the vast portion of anti-2.3 arguments here on Bronco forums.
So Rick, you seem to have more real world experience than anybody on this forum. Bottom line: 2.3 catch can yes or no?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So Rick, you seem to have more real world experience than anybody on this forum. Bottom line: 2.3 catch can yes or no?
Only some experience from having the 2.3 in a 2019 Ranger and following that forum where 100% of owners have the same engine/transmission.

If freezing isn't an issue for your geographic area (something i don't know anything about!), I will absolutely run a catch can with the Bronco once I take delivery.

The first gen Mazdaspeed3 had the earlier version of the high pressure fuel pump that as far as I understand is in Ranger. This came from the Mazda/Ford corporate sharing. I had that gen Mazdaspeed3 and dealt with all the fuel pump teething problems and their catch can issues as well.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After 14 hours at -4 degrees F, the sample is still liquid. So I wouldn't worry about the catch can freezing unless you are worried about your oil freezing.

Evidently, the stuff in the can isn't a combination of oil and water. My new theory is that is probably just the shorter hydrocarbons that are more volatile than those in the bulk of the oil. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my engine. Any full synthetic should have less variation in the length of the hydrocarbon chains than a regular oil, so that is probably another reason I don't have to empty it very often.

While the value of a catch can will continue to be debated, I'm glad that I installed one on my engine.
Thanks again for doing that. It's definitely something I'm considering now.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The catch can is supposed to help with carbon build up on DI engines. Because the 2.7 is Di/Pi you shouldn't need a catch can because the Pi should clean the carbon off.. However,I haven't found anything that says it will hurt the engine if added.

I'm not sure if this is true due to not owning a Ford vehicle, but I heard that Ford recommends adding a catch can to their Di engines, and it states this in the owners manual. If this is true then I wouldn't think they would void a warranty, especially if you buy a plug n play version made for your specific engine?
If that's true why wouldn't they install it at the factory? I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but why...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

No ford says nothing about catch cans, I do know if you go to buy the mustang one for the 2.3 from ford performance, it actually says "for track use only". I'm sure if they did put them in they would have a lot more warranty claims from people only checking it once a year.

No, ford says nothing about catch cans, I do know if you go to buy the mustang one for the 2.3 from ford performance, it actually says on the website "for track use only". I'm sure if they did put them in they would have a lot more warranty claims from people only checking it once a year.

pacsun82

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 Supercrew 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is a catch can supposed to help with DI/PI issues?
Catch cans collect oil vapor in PCV system and prevents the oil vapor from building up on the backside of the intake valves. Premium fuel, low NACK oils and a "redline-a-day" is all that's needed to keep your valves clean. 129K miles on my 2016 first gen 2.7 (DI only) and never had a catch can

pacsun82

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Catch cans collect oil vapor in PCV system and prevents the oil vapor from building up on the backside of the intake valves. Premium fuel, low NACK oils and a "redline-a-day" is all that's needed to keep your valves clean. 129K miles on my 2016 first gen 2.7 (DI only) and never had a catch can
Besides the the premium fuels and oils the single best thing you can to a ecoboost DI engine to control carbon buildup is avoiding "short trips" and excessive idling.

pacsun82

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Short trip = less than 25 mintues of driving. Granted your coolant temp will show normal coolant temp after 5 minutes of driving but the engine needs 20 to 25 minutes to be in full heat soak.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is crazy you have a 7 minute commute! Ain’t nobody got time for that! Go move further away like all of us so you have at least 40 minutes each way to drive your sweet bronco and make sure all those ponies are heated up properly? I am pretty sure that is the only correct thing to do in your situation.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,
I have searched all over for any mention of catch cans in this forums, but have yet to see anything about running one in winter, particularly in colder states where overnight freezes and daytime thaws are extremely common. I was doing some research online on this, and saw someone on the ranger or mustang forums that they had a massive issue with condensation during the winter in the catch can, and it really screwed some stuff up. Of course now that I would like to link it, I cannot find it. If my memory serves me correct, he forgot to empty it after less than a week before it happened. So, I am wondering the general experience with those of you who run catch cans in the winter. Do they have to be emptied every day? How often do you check them? Is it even worth it? Asking this because I am getting the 2.3, but would love to keep it for 15+ plus at least.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/shop
Sponsored