Sponsored

Cause for significant drop in mileage in 2.7 L?

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The mpg display gauge is just estimating your usage, its not accurate at all. If you want proper measurements you have to do it the old style way.

Also:
1. ECO mode SUCKS ... you will use more gas believe it or not
2. Use 2WD normal mode on pavement (better for your tires too)
And
3. Skip cruise control

but when you go on a dirt road or something, sport mode is a blast!

While the gauge is not totally accurate it is not that far off for me. It is consistently 0.3mpg off of my hand calculated values for both city and highway driving. It is also the same 0.3mpg for the last 3000 miles that I have tracked. Of course my hand calculated values are still always lower than the gauge on the dash. They have never been higher.
Sponsored

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
was your average speed the same? I've read posts where mpg is significantly different between 55mph and 75mph
I have to agree. I have a 4-door Wrangler and I average about 17+ but if I'm in a hurry it will be 16. If my Dad borrows it, no less than 20MPG every time.

Because, he gets on the road and sets the cruise control *exactly* at the speed limit whereas I'm a 75+ kind of guy. Perhaps not 100+ like when I was a kid but 75+.

It doesn't sound like a lot but when you think about it, it's a 20% difference...which in business is a hugely significance statistically.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The mpg display gauge is just estimating your usage, its not accurate at all. If you want proper measurements you have to do it the old style way.

Also:
1. ECO mode SUCKS ... you will use more gas believe it or not
2. Use 2WD normal mode on pavement (better for your tires too)
And
3. Skip cruise control

but when you go on a dirt road or something, sport mode is a blast!
Does it really have to be accurate? As long as you're comparing apples to apples you're just trying to determine the difference between using cruise control, and not.

So without cruise if it says you got 30 And with cruise it said you got 35, then you got 5 more mpg with cruise...regardless of what number it was.

I think in the end no one's going to be able to argue this, because it's not true. No one can use cruise control 100% of the time. And none of us are driving the same routes as each other with the same inclines or decline.

Someone can use cruise control all the time, like me, even on city streets. But then Floor it every time the light turns green.

The only way I know, would be to do the myth buster tailgate up or tailgate down test :)

OP
OP

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While the gauge is not totally accurate it is not that far off for me. It is consistently 0.3mpg off of my hand calculated values for both city and highway driving. It is also the same 0.3mpg for the last 3000 miles that I have tracked. Of course my hand calculated values are still always lower than the gauge on the dash. They have never been higher.
Yep, agreed. I don't care if gauges are accurate at all, just so long as they're consistent. I also don't care if things like cruise control & eco mode are efficient or not.

All things being equal (cruise control, mode, 2wd, etc,) if the gauges consistently told me I was getting 18MPG highway for the first 3000 miles of ownership, and now I'm getting 12-14 MPG highway, I am concerned.

Have my first service appointment w/ the stealership next week to change the oil and such now that I'm >5k miles, so I will bring it up to them then.
Sponsored