Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What are some great options for plug and play CB radios with antenna? I was planing on a purchasing a CB to hand cary and have ready on pickup for the drive home. Definitely wanted one with SSB for the 12 watts and PA to scare the kids! The drive home for me is about 4 hours and with the radio it will be priceless!
Sponsored

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The biggest problem is going to be the antenna. Without a metal roof no simple mag mount options unless you put it on the hood. So eventually some sort of bracket mount is what I'll be looking for similar to what was on the overland build. Then probably 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave antenna due to the lack of ground plane.

Eventually front driverside trailsight will host a GMRS antenna (its the smallest and least distracting).

The front passenger side trailsight will be the home for my dual band ham antenna.

Which leaves the back tire rack for a CB and/or HF antenna.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
The biggest problem is going to be the antenna. Without a metal roof no simple mag mount options unless you put it on the hood. So eventually some sort of bracket mount is what I'll be looking for similar to what was on the overland build. Then probably 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave antenna due to the lack of ground plane.

Eventually front driverside trailsight will host a GMRS antenna (its the smallest and least distracting).

The front passenger side trailsight will be the home for my dual band ham antenna.

Old school 102" whip bolted to the left rear fender...

r_630x394_864cb3c7e9bd2ec0242b50d00e70ab42c6c17a68.jpg

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have great success on a soft top samurai running a HAM antenna on front fender and a second on the rear tire carrier. I will be running the same setup on my Bronco, with a handheld GMRS for when I am not running with my regular crew.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are some great options for plug and play CB radios with antenna? I was planing on a purchasing a CB to hand cary and have ready on pickup for the drive home. Definitely wanted one with SSB for the 12 watts and PA to scare the kids! The drive home for me is about 4 hours and with the radio it will be priceless!
It sounds like you want a quick solution for the "drive home" from the dealer?

In this case, a handheld will be by-far your best bet. Range wont be a great as a mobile (vehicle mounted) one, but it's painless.

When you start getting into mobile radios, not only do you have the antenna to deal with, but you have the antenna wire run... that can often be the most frustrating part.

On top of that you'll likely need a dedicated 12v power lead for the mobile. The amount of power a mobile radio is going to draw is going to overwhelm a typical 12v accessory point found in the cabin.

So now, you're into running the antenna cable, a 12v supple, and really the Ground as well... then you've got to mount the damn thing... and if you're not feeling a couple of self-tapping screws zipped into the dash, that's going to take some planning as well.

So, for quick-and-dirty... handheld is the best.

Once you get the rig home and you can pause to see what types of aftermarket mounts pop up (and there absolutely will be some) then you can start making a plan for yourself.

$0.02

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will add that if you want a little bit of extra range/reception on a portable, you could get a magnetic mount antenna and run a cable through your door jam to the handheld device... but I wouldn't bother, especially considering the roof on the Bronco is already going to permit more RF transmission than a regular metal-roofed vehicle.

(For reference, I am not a radio technician, but I am a regular user and purchaser of mobile and portable radios, inside and outside of vehicles... to include full scale $12k vehicle installs all the way down to covert, portable hidden in a glove box with a BT headset types of situations...)

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will add that if you want a little bit of extra range/reception on a portable, you could get a magnetic mount antenna and run a cable through your door jam to the handheld device... but I wouldn't bother, especially considering the roof on the Bronco is already going to permit more RF transmission than a regular metal-roofed vehicle.
Great catch. I'm running a mag mount with my dual band handheld in my truck currently. While I plan on doing full mobile installs with my Bronco, it will be interesting to see how the HT works by itself with the MIC top.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW I read Jeep Jamboree is going from CB's to FRS/GMRS radios in 2021. Midland has a "Micro-mobile" line that has a matched antenna that supposedly doesn't need tuning (?). If JJ is recommending those, maybe they're made to work on a non-metal roofed vehicle, so should also work on a Bronco? Midland is a JJ advertiser so maybe its bogus? Dont know personally.

OP
OP
dabush1980

dabush1980

Black Diamond
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW I read Jeep Jamboree is going from CB's to FRS/GMRS radios in 2021. Midland has a "Micro-mobile" line that has a matched antenna that supposedly doesn't need tuning (?). If JJ is recommending those, maybe they're made to work on a non-metal roofed vehicle, so should also work on a Bronco? Midland is a JJ advertiser so maybe its bogus? Dont know personally.
If you use GMRS you must apply for a license to use those frequencies. Im going to stick with old school CB for now. Maybe add a GMRS later if others in North GA start using them.
Sponsored