Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Simple But Want It To Look Great , Best CB Mount Would Love For It To Be Behind The Spare Tire , Thoughts ????
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Simple But Want It To Look Great , Best CB Mount Would Love For It To Be Behind The Spare Tire , Thoughts ????
At least 2/3s over the roof. Make sure to tune the antenna as well.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will be interesting to find someplace to get a good ground plane on the Bronco. I am going with one of the Midland GMRS units instead of CB and need to figure out the antenna as well. I don’t think it has the same need for a good ground plane to perform properly, but I’m not sure.

Mdemieville

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm running a midland 75-822 and plan on running the antenna on the back of the spare. Should be easy to fab up a bracket. I am also gonna run a midland micromobile 15w gmrs that will be hidden behind the glove box with the antenna on the mirror mount next to my pod lights

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
GMRS and HAM don't need nearly as much tweaking or tuning. Most of the time a good ground and you're good to go.

CB? Well, good luck with that and the Broncos aluminum and plastic body ....

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GMRS and HAM don't need nearly as much tweaking or tuning. Most of the time a good ground and you're good to go.

CB? Well, good luck with that and the Broncos aluminum and plastic body ....
True but technically you need your HAM for short wave. Not that anyone could catch you. GMRS is a decent in between right @Apples ?

I was thinking of requalifying for my HAM again.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True but technically you need your HAM for short wave. Not that anyone could catch you. GMRS is a decent in between right @Apples ?

Gmrs also requires license. No exam though, like tech ham. If you care about being legal just go for tech ham. Exam is easy.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I prefer HAM. It's more versatile and widely used. But more and more events (eg EJS) are going GMRS over CB.

FWIW, the licensing cost for both GMRS and HAM is changing soon. They'll both now be $35 for 10 years. That's an increase of $35 for HAM and a 50% cut for GMRS.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
GMRS is used by most of the Jeep people in my area. GMRS is the one I would recommend for Broncos. I have a Ham license but that is its own hobby. A GMRS license will cover your whole family.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on using the FMRS or whatever the one is that does not have a license walkie-talkie. Would like to find a cb style version of that but all I find is the GMRS.

$35 for 10yrs is not bad but I just don't know if that level is needed vs what the walkie-talkie setup would cover. I get the longer range and safety aspect but then your other user has to have that setup as well on the other end.

Then again the GMRS units i think also tend to cover the FMRS bands as well so a mix of walkie-talkie and a base unit covers every situation...

Last edited:

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on using the FMRS or whatever the one is that does not have a license walkie-talkie. Would like to find a cb style version of that but all I find is the GMRS.

$35 for 10yrs is not bad but I just don't know if that level is needed vs what the walkie-talkie setup would cover. I get the longer range and safety aspect but then your other user has to have that setup as well on the other end.
It's FRS (Family Radio Service).

You can get a programable mobile unit and program the freqs for the 22 channels. Then you can talk to the walkies. You are not supposed to tx over 2w though.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Then again the GMRS units i think also tend to cover the FMRS bands as well so a mix of walkie-talkie and a base unit covers every situation...
GMRS covers the FRS channels plus. FRS is pretty much limited to handheld varieties because the TX/RX power is limited. It's also very difficult to find FRS radio that can be attached to an external antenna.

If you want to go in cab mounted or with an external antenna, you'll need to pony up the $35 and buy a GMRS micromobile unit. The advantages of this are significantly increased power capability, up to 50 watts, and usually CB-like or HAM-like features such as the dual channel monitor, NOAA weather stations, and CTCSS codes.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on running both GMRS (Midland MXT275) and CB (Midland 75-822) that can one, or both tuck out of the way in the center console when not in use. I know CB is dying, but still too many of them out there not to have one.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What’s the purpose or appeal of a CB radio besides finding out where the lot lizards are?
Sponsored