Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Renesas fire that destroyed the Naka 3 plant’s 300mm wafer fabrication line in Japan on March 19, 2021 clearly exacerbated an already tight chip supply chain post-COVID. Renesas accounts for 30% of the global market for automotive microcontroller units, and that plant was a single-source supplier for some of Ford’s chips and a dual-source supplier for others. Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, and others were also affected by the fire.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56486242

I think things will get stable by the fall but certainly its going to be complicated" Volkswagen's North America CEO Scott Keogh tells
@bbcaaron
the car industry's computer chip shortage could last another six months and lead to production cuts.

Farley echoed VW NA president's words. Yeah it's bad now but wait 'til the second half.

tenor.gif

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It shouldn't surprise me, but it does, how people can read the same article and by a headline completely misinterpret what was said.

What people think it said: "Ford: Our chip problems have been mostly solved."

What it actually said: "Ford: We worked around the chip problems in Q1, but we are going to really feel the impact especially in Q2, but also Q3 and Q4. We're making changes to work with it, but expect a huge impact, particularly in Q2."

croyco

Black Diamond
First Name
croydon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The question is who torched the plant.
Sounds like arson to me.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The question is who torched the plant.
Sounds like arson to me.
Power surge in one of the machines in the middle of the night. No evidence of arson.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Power surge in one of the machines in the middle of the night. No evidence of arson.
But did that machine have AI? :ROFLMAO:

It could have been depressed from all the long working hours and no breaks/PTO. Maybe it planned a murder-suicide. 💀

Alfabeast

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Giulia Q4 Sport Ti, 1983 Alfa GTV6 2.5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Corporate talking to itself here ... total BS when juxtaposed to me having to delete my tow hitch to get a chance at an order. On "top" of (no pun intended) the top fiasco. They picked a supplier that's good at moonroofs but maybe not big thermoformed parts. Mainstream media chip story is a convenient distraction. So stuff your speech and get on the front lines and start making parts.

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I guess this means any Bronco delays are only likely caused by model specific supply issues.

Yeah I don’t think that’s what it means. The “completely offset” remark is historical. It relates to Q1 only. And offset what? Production numbers? Revenue? EBITDA? Impossible to tell from this what he means, though if you wanted to wade through the financials you could probably figure something out. As I read this, he has no handle on the chip situation. Indeed, its pretty dire in that he says that the chips that Ford needs for its vehicles are NOT the ones where everyone’s scrambling to ramp up production, but older ones more suitable for Ford’s needs. So I don’t find much here to be enthusiastic or reassured about. To me this is just — pay attention to something else and don’t watch the kettle or it will never boil.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drove by my local Ford dealership a little while ago and only saw five new vehicles on the entire lot. Two F-150’s, a Mach E, an Explorer, and a Ranger. That’s it. Crazy.
Sponsored