Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright so had a tree snap in half from a freak storm and am ready to buy a chainsaw instead of borrowing one again for the bazillion time. I'm set on Stihl brand unless someone can convince me to change. Looking at the MS-170 which is their entry model unless anyone can convince me to look at other models or brands. Thank you for any insight!
Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have an MS170. It works well for an occasional yard cleanup tool. I split firewood from time to time, and I wish I had something bigger for cutting up the logs to split. The higher in the models you go, the more anti-vibration and other features you get for higher duty cycle.

One of the best upgrades I made was trashing the green chains and getting the yellow chains while also moving up from a 0.043 gauge to 0.050 gauge chain and bar. It keeps the chain straight and cuts better (stiffer).

As with all chain saws: USE THE CHAIN BRAKE. Stop when you're tired. Don't stand over the bar when cutting. Don't make plunge cuts or use the tip to cut. Don't cut over your head.

The instructions have some really good tips. Even the chain instructions tell you everything you need to know about sharpening and flipping the bar between two chains.

Good luck.

OP
OP
j_marinelli

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an MS170. It works well for an occasional yard cleanup tool. I split firewood from time to time, and I wish I had something bigger for cutting up the logs to split. The higher in the models you go, the more anti-vibration and other features you get for higher duty cycle.

One of the best upgrades I made was trashing the green chains and getting the yellow chains while also moving up from a 0.043 gauge to 0.050 gauge chain and bar. It keeps the chain straight and cuts better (stiffer).

As with all chain saws: USE THE CHAIN BRAKE. Stop when you're tired. Don't stand over the bar when cutting. Don't make plunge cuts or use the tip to cut. Don't cut over your head.

The instructions have some really good tips. Even the chain instructions tell you everything you need to know about sharpening and flipping the bar between two chains.

Good luck.
Thank you for your insight!

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know the type of tree you have or how big but here is my recommendation. Milwaulkee m18 if you already have their tools with batteries. I was shocked by how easy it can go through utility poles. Give the online videos a look.

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have an MS291 "Farm Boss". I live on a wooded 5 acre lot and trees are always coming down for one reason or another. If you plan on using it 2 or 3 times a year on big trees, I would suggest something more beefy. Can't go wrong with a Stihl either way.

Sponsored

rmillermich

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alright so had a tree snap in half from a freak storm and am ready to buy a chainsaw instead of borrowing one again for the bazillion time. I'm set on Stihl brand unless someone can convince me to change. Looking at the MS-170 which is their entry model unless anyone can convince me to look at other models or brands. Thank you for any insight!
Whatever model they call the "farm boss" It's usually the best value of the line. May be a Ms290 or 270 nowadays. Worth it over the long run. mine is 10 years old, only broke the handle once and have cleared 10 acres of dense forest and burn wood in the winter.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Husqvarna. I hate that gimmick quick-start thing Stihl has going on now

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was a Stihl guy for decades. Bought a Poullan PRO for nothing on sale at HD or Lowes and took my old Stihl's - even the old "Made in West Germany" Farm-Boss - to the auction. Get one bigger than you need. They are old school and smoke like hell.

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I use Stihl chainsaws as well as other Stihl power equipment -- I made several other brand purchases trying to save a buck or two before I fell into, and stayed, in the Stihl camp. They have several models of chainsaws to address various needs. Good luck and be safe!

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have the stihl MS391 the bigger FarmBoss with 18” Bar. Never fails to start and cuts everything I need to, good size trees to branches

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stihl has a great reputation. However, Husqvarna is also good and has the huge advantage that you can buy them online from amzn. Unless you are a full-time lumberjack, either should be fine.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have neighbors and do not use much, ELECTRIC is a cheap alternative. Much safer, simpler, and quieter.

OP
OP
j_marinelli

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ended up going the MS170 route. After using it, it is plenty big for what I can see myself using it around my lot (only 1 acre) If anyone is looking for a gas one for under 200 bucks I'd recommend the MS170!

Thank all y'all for the input!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Earlier this year I bought an EGO 56 volt 18" saw. That thing is marvelous. Built sturdy, cuts fast, and the battery charges in 90 min on the slow charger. Fast charger is 45 min i think (dont have one). But as is I can cut down enough trees on a single charge that it takes me near the charge time to clear or load in my truck. Best thing is I dont have to stop start constantly or plan all my cuts at once. I did alot of research before I bought it. It comes in right around 350 at homedepot and is everybit equal to battery saw in the 500 to 600 range, but ten times better than anything in the 250 to 350
ego-cordless-chainsaws-cs1804-64_1000.jpg
range. If you are near a vehicle that can charge it you probably wont need a 2nd battery, but if you do go way out from power, Just get a 2nd battery and Im sure you will be fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-18-...b1&gclid=CMaPpI7D-uoCFRfTfgodlvQFZw&gclsrc=ds
Sponsored