Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One of the primary deciding factors between 2.3L and 2.7L for me was that in addition to the up front cost, I'd be paying more for it over time with worse MPG;however, it seems with the Black Diamond that is not the case. I'm now debating hard on whether I should switch to the 2.7L, but with a 7/14 reservation and no Vin yet I keep doubting thinking that if I switch now it'll just throw my undetermined build date even further out? Realistically what are we looking at here?

Nobody knows so why concern yourself?

2.3Ls are less constrained stick with what you've got and you'll likely get it sooner.

It won't have any effect switch.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Did you get auto or stay with manual? The small difference in mileage will take a long time for a return on the 2.7 offsetting the cost but get what you want.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Order what you want. I added Squatch. I am willing to wait. Not going to compromise options just to get it sooner and then be disappointed when I get it and regret not getting what I wanted.

OP
OP
Username_not_found

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you get auto or stay with manual? The small difference in mileage will take a long time for a return on the 2.7 offsetting the cost but get what you want.
It's auto for the 2.3L as I got the mid for the heated seats

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was previewing w/2.3 in my build. Didn’t get a vin. Decided to switch to 2.7, got a vin the very next Thursday. I think the 2.7 is as available as the 2.3 right now. Just my .02. Good luck!

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO pinching pennies on gas mileage on a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick & large tires will be over shadowed by the benefit of an engine with more torque. Once you load the vehicle down with gear all hope of getting fair gas mileage is out the window if the motor is working harder to pull hills or climb through trails.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the primary deciding factors between 2.3L and 2.7L for me was that in addition to the up front cost, I'd be paying more for it over time with worse MPG;however, it seems with the Black Diamond that is not the case. I'm now debating hard on whether I should switch to the 2.7L, but with a 7/14 reservation and no Vin yet I keep doubting thinking that if I switch now it'll just throw my undetermined build date even further out? Realistically what are we looking at here?

2.3Ls are less constrained stick with what you've got and you'll likely get it sooner.

Assuming that they prioritize reservation orders for 2.7L above dealer stock production, it seems like there will be plenty of 2.7L available until the hard top issue is resolved. No data, just a guess.

Despite mpg ratings, I expect 2.7L will be worse if you take advantage of the extra power. You can run 87 in the 2.7 to save $ when needed.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get the 2.7, always go bigger and you won't have any regrets. No replacement for displacement.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m an early res holder as well with no vin. At this point it’s clear that the order process is hosed.

I’d order what you want and get it when you get it. I think settling for something less than what you want will only make you angry in the long run.

At this point I highly doubt I’ll see my Bronco this year, but at least when I get it will be what I want.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I beat engine choice around in my big old dumb head for a long time. Opinions were numerous, but it eventually boiled down to which engine did I really want. My gut said just get the 2.7L. because that's what you want anyway. Now I won't be riding down the road thinking, "I wish......"

Good luck on your decision. It really is ultimately yours to make.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've never heard anyone regret getting the larger engine option.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was previewing w/2.3 in my build. Didn’t get a vin. Decided to switch to 2.7, got a vin the very next Thursday. I think the 2.7 is as available as the 2.3 right now. Just my .02. Good luck!
I immediately got a VIN after adding towing. There are too many variables to be able to effectively game the system so it's not worth stressing over. Get what you want.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The trouble with buying a car you can't test drive, is that you cant personally test out engine choices. I chose the 2.7 because I'm familiar with it in my F150, and because it has 2 injectors per cylinder over 1 in the 2.3, theoretically meaning better cleaning & longevity. However, I'm wondering if id be fine with the 2.3, which has a good reputation, gets better mileage, puts less weight on the front end, and costs less. I have a VIN, so I'm not changing now!

Personally, I'm not into removing things essential to the car just to get it a few months earlier. If I went to a smaller engine, it would be because I decided that engine is the better choice for my use, not to get the car more quickly. I got lucky with an earlier production schedule (but that has changed 3 times). But i won't delete items. I'll wait.

You have to guess based on what you see and hear, and study and learn, what it best for you. Then, enjoy the wait. It's hard to make a bad choice in this Bronco adventure, so enjoy the ride!

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a similar “well crud” moment when seeing the BD mpg. I’m sticking with the 2.3 because I don’t have the budget to up my build and more power just isn’t important for what I’m doing. I’m not really sweating it but I’ll admit it does have me thinking about letting my first reservation go by and picking up my Granger October reservation instead though. Maybe use the savings for the 2.7 or switch to better mpg in the OBX and spend the savings on the high package. My first reservation is also 7/14.

Thought regarding BD MPG: Anyone ever remove steel plates and just put them back on when going off road? Between that and a rear seat delete maybe I’d buy a little fuel economy? Just spitballing.
Sponsored