John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the OBX and its better mileage . . . Except i don't! I opted for the rear locker, and that changed the axle ratio from 3.73 to 4.27. I doubt EPA tested this version.

I'm guessing that the primary reason for the mileage drop in the BD is the axle ratio, not the weight. The BD has the 4.46 axle with the rear locker. The weight of the plates counts, I'm sure. But i regularly get 24mpg Highway on my F150 with the 2.7 ECO, and its lots heavier than the Bronco. Same 32" tire diameter. But i have 3.55 axles, not the tow friendly 3.73 or 4.27.

We can all compare next year in real life. But axle ratio is a big factor, along with tire size, in mpg. IMO. The reason the Sasquatch isnt worse is that the diameter of the 35" tires counters the 4.7" axle ratio. (And v.v.)
I was thinking the same thing. By the time OBX and BB owners opt for the rear locker and most everyone swaps out the passenger tires, we will all be in the same soup.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was thinking the same thing. By the time OBX and BB owners opt for the rear locker and most everyone swaps out the passenger tires, we will all be in the same soup.
If they'll fit on the stock wheels without needing a lift, i may upsize to 33" tires, and gain 1 mpg back at hwy speeds. Maybe!

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Being a certified geezer, I donā€™t like either motor option. As an old school alum, all my vehicles except the wifeā€˜s Milan ,are V8. I keep vehicles forever. I treat them like they are living, and breathing animals. V8 motors last. Simple physics. I automatically opted for the 2.7 until I saw the mileage numbers. The mpg isnā€™t a big deal to me since I am retired , but I donā€™t see any great advantage spending the funds on the 2.7. You need to use premium fuel to obtain the 330 hp rating for the 2.7 per Ford. Not to mention, as a dinosaur, I donā€™t like relying on turbos for performance. My Bronco, at least Ford is still claiming I will actually have a Bronco one day, is a bucket list item. Beach dunes and wooded paths will be the extent of itā€™s off road life. Surf rods, beach chairs, and a cooler will be the cargo. IMO, Ford should have dusted off the specs for the push rod 302, and made it an option for the all new Bronco. If only.

GAbronco

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I feel your decision pain lol. In the end I made the switch to the 2.7 engine as I felt i would regret it if I didnā€™t. Good Luck!

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the primary deciding factors between 2.3L and 2.7L for me was that in addition to the up front cost, I'd be paying more for it over time with worse MPG;however, it seems with the Black Diamond that is not the case. I'm now debating hard on whether I should switch to the 2.7L, but with a 7/14 reservation and no Vin yet I keep doubting thinking that if I switch now it'll just throw my undetermined build date even further out? Realistically what are we looking at here?

Nobody knows so why concern yourself?

2.3Ls are less constrained stick with what you've got and you'll likely get it sooner.

It won't have any effect switch.
I went with 2.3 just because of the stick. However, I have been driving a 2019 Ranger for the last year and a half with the 2.3 and the 10-speed and it has really been impressive. I've written about it on here before but I am still surprised by that motor. Yes, it can be a little bit slower off the line but once you get the revs up, the 10 speed keeps it there and you have a surprising amount of passing power. If you still aren't sure, test drive a new Ranger and that might make you feel more comfortable in your decision.

The 2.7 is definitely a different motor and you can feel it if you drive each powertrain back to back, but the 2.3 is no slouch. Still surprises people when I tell them my Ranger is a 4-cylinder after I let them borrow it.

I think either way you will be happy. Hope you get the VIN and build date soon!

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This isn't to be mean, but the 2.3 in the bronco is like the 4 cyl. mustang. I am absolutely certain it's enough for most people, but when it comes to resale, there is no replacement for displacement.

2.7 all day. when I'm 40k in what's 2k.

my 2.3 in the ranger gets 19mpg over the last 8k miles on 32s. I drive both city and 2-3 hour trips mixed in. I expect 16/17 from the 2.7. I was getting 14.9 with my coyote v8 on 33s. 2 mpg isn't really an issue.
You make a good point, and another reason I went with the 2.7: Resale value! While I may think I'll keep this Bronco forever, in reality i get bored, and trade, at 5 years. Also, a battery vehicle/hybrid may win me over in 5 years as well! Or a slightly longer vehicle (BroncoXL Hybrid, anyone?)! Im thinking a XL will be needed for battery capacity, for those of us who are not rock crawlers, and sand driving is our main use!

As you say, engine size matters in used vehicles . . . Unless gasoline costs so much in 5 years, that the 4cyl becomes popular! Crystal šŸ”®, anyone!?

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Youā€™re honestly buying the wrong vehicle if youā€™re worried about fuel mileage. Itā€™s no difference than a Jeep.

TheColemans05

Badlands
First Name
Josh & Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silverado Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do what makes you happy and what you can afford. There's plenty of articles and post's comparing the ups and downs of both engines do a little reading and make a choice.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been 2.3 from the start. I changed to four-door BD and got my VIN and build date (July 12 week) and am not changing now, but I did have very slight second thoughts when someone commented about the extra weight of the BD. My second thoughts were only mild (I want a manual for sure) but had to do not with MPG but powerā€”whether the 2.3 may struggle to move the heavier Bronco.

Then I reminded myself that this puppy has more HP and torque than my V8 1987 automatic Bronco, which probably weighed more. And Iā€™m pumped to have a manual again.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My choice has more to do with the tranny than the engine. I have a 2.7 in my F150 and Iā€™ve driven the 2.3 in a Ranger on a test drive. That test drive confirmed this engine to be plenty for the Bronco.

Itā€™s the driving experience you want that should determine your motor choice. Given the limited builds available for the 7MT Iā€™m happy with the 2.3, but if the 7MT is available with the 2.7 next year (when my build is likely to happen) I will switch to a 2.7/7MT. If not, Iā€™m still happy with the 2.3.

My .02

Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If they offered a manual V6 Iā€™d have chosen that.

I probably donā€™t even need the bash plates but went BD for MVG/washout floors.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

By the way, people here have commented that the price difference for the 6 is 1,000 or so, but out of curiosity I just went to the Ford build and price site and did my exact build (BD standard trim, non-SAS) and clicked to switch to the 6. The engine option itself is listed as $1,895 but it tells me changing to auto is a net price change of $3,490.

OP
OP
Username_not_found

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
By the way, people here have commented that the price difference for the 6 is 1,000 or so, but out of curiosity I just went to the Ford build and price site and did my exact build (BD standard trim, non-SAS) and clicked to switch to the 6. The engine option itself is listed as $1,895 but it tells me changing to auto is a net price change of $3,490.
Yeah, if I were currently built up as a manual 2.3L there would be no way I was switching. Unfortunately this is a shared vehicle for me and my wife and living in Minnesota her one and only option she really wants is the heated seats. I give up the manual so she can have the mid, but she also has been very amenable to my wants to which is why we are getting a BD instead of a BB. After a bit of discussion she is happy to let us move up to the bigger engine as a compromise on not getting a manual. Overall I think we are both very happy with the final decisions and it's been a good balance of give and take.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, if I were currently built up as a manual 2.3L there would be no way I was switching. Unfortunately this is a shared vehicle for me and my wife and living in Minnesota her one and only option she really wants is the heated seats. I give up the manual so she can have the mid, but she also has been very amenable to my wants to which is why we are getting a BD instead of a BB. After a bit of discussion she is happy to let us move up to the bigger engine as a compromise on not getting a manual. Overall I think we are both very happy with the final decisions and it's been a good balance of give and take.
Nice. In the Deep South, heated seats are nice, but I can definitely live without. When I decided to switch to four-door, I contemplated downgrading to Base to mitigate cost, but for some reason, you can only get the automatic in a four-door Base.

OP
OP
Username_not_found

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well ladies and gents you've helped me make up my mind. Giving up on the 4-banger life I've been living for my past three vehicles and getting the V6. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback.
Sponsored