Sponsored

Changed my Badlands from a 2-door to a 4-door today...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone... it is tough, part of me wants to call them back and push my order back to 2 door.

If I didn't have a 2-door Wrangler I think going with a 2-door Bronco would be a 100% no-brainer.

My interest in the 4-door is the kind of wheeling I'd like to do with it. I live in the northeast and the TJ is the perfect size for the kind of trails/crawling we do around here. Actually most of my wheeling is in 4x4 outdoor parks.

The Bronco, I'd like to get that out west and do some desert wheeling. Bigger rocks, bigger climbs, the longer wheelbase will be a good fit for that and since I'd like to be running for a few days at a time the extra space will be very helpful.

My main complaint is appearance. I agree that the four door does look nice without doors or the top. But that will only be an occasional situation. Most of the time, it'll be wearing clothes.

It's just a rather ungainly looking vehicle with four doors. To me the 4-door looks like an afterthought design while the 2-door looks perfect. Ugh, this one is still killing me.
I sense you're going to regret the switch. I know I would. The 4dr isn't something I'd look back at as I walked away, and that's my rule when buying a car, even at the expense of practicality.
Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting that folks equate quantity of sales to quality/desirability of vehicles. Yes 4dr everything out sells 2dr's. That is no secret. That does not in any way shape or form take away the fact that they think they need a 4dr. Maybe they do.

Putting the extra two doors is a no brainer BUSINESS decision. It doesn't mean that they are cooler. How many Corvettes would be sold with 4dr's? Maybe Ford should make a 6dr Bronco, someone would buy them?

If people can separate their needs from wants they wouldn't be caught dead in a 4dr. This vehicle by design is way closer to a "toy" vs a "daily driver".

Sorry but a true icon like the Bronco only comes in a 2dr...
Iā€™m not getting your rationale behind sales and desirability... if someone buys something they most likely desire the friggin vehicle... no one is forced into it. I donā€™t need the 4 door I just prefer the damn thing.
And for fu&ksakes we all know the original bronco had 2 doors. I grew up in a ā€˜73.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If people can separate their needs from wants they wouldn't be caught dead in a 4dr. This vehicle by design is way closer to a "toy" vs a "daily driver".

Sorry but a true icon like the Bronco only comes in a 2dr...
That makes zero sense...just a bunch of babble. I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ a Bronco at all. I want one, and I ā€œwantā€ a 4 door...as a toy. A better and more fun toy for me. You do you. Let people decide in 40 or 50 years what is or isnā€™t an icon.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Easy there, no one said the 2-door sucked. You don't need to wait for evidence, just common sense to see that they won't sell due to impracticality. Its fair to say Bronco take rates will be very similar to Jeep take rates. I live 2 hours or so from the Rubicon, the three jeep dealers nearest me have zero 2-door Jeeps on the lot......they have to be special ordered. You can buy a 4-door Wrangler or a Gladiator on the spot. Just the way it is.

If your not into common sense, here is a thread I was reading last week about Jeep guys discussing the 2-door vs 4-door. Over the different threads I have seen it looks like 2-door sales have dropped from around 1/4 to between 13-15% depending on article/thread. Also each dealer and area is different.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2-door-vs-4-door-sales.68379/

Also you can take a look at our very own forum take rates to see that the 2-door is barely cracking 1/3 of sales. 6G ia probably the biggest Bronco website, and considering there are a lot more hardcore wheelers here, barely a 1/3 are going to be 2-door. That number will drop.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/šŸ“Š-submitted-bronco-orders-tracking-list-stats.11453/

If Ford only made a 2-door Bronco, it would not last and the Bronco would be retired again. If Ford only sold a 4-door Bronco the line would thrive just like it is now for years to come. Ford doesn't even advertise the 2-door, look in all the official brochures it isn't there. Again, not ripping on the 2-door, its just the way it is.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct, which is the same logic as the removable roof thread. No removable roof, no Bronco 6g. The 4dr subsidizes the 2dr. That doesn't mean I think it looks as good or even provides that much added utility as people think, but you are on point as to the marketability of it.

That said, I am team 2DR. I saw the 4 DR in person. I liked it, I thought it was a fine looking vehicle (Big bend looked better than OBX IMO) but just not what I want.

2DR just looks prooer. It is easier to go topless, there are half the number of doors to remove. I can still fit a couple kids in the back, whenever I need to, and the seats can fold down for gear, bike etc. I actually liked that where the kids sit, there were not doors that could come off. All this said, my "pros" could be somebody else's "cons"

There is no wrong choice here. It's like fried chicken...do you want the breasts or thighs. They are both delicious, they will both get slathered in gravy and potatoes, but everybody has one they prefer a little more.

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 4 door Jeep already and a 1 year old daughter. I also have a 2 door Jeep that I will be trading in for a 2 door Bronco. I have slept in my 2 door Jeep, (The Bronco will be larger), I have transported my daughter in my 2 door Jeep. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt, for maybe one minute. I have fit all of my extensive rafting and camping gear which includes 2 inflatable rafts, 2 wood floors for the rafts, A 65 quart roto mold cooler, a mini big green egg bbq, a trolling motor, mount, two group 27 batteries, a tent, sleeping bag, cooking supplies, and clothes. The 4 door is an automatic, so I don't often get to use it as my wife cannot drive stick -which the 2 door is. Someone mentioned the 2 door's space to not be practical. It's practical enough for me. I find the 2 door's overall size more practical for off-roading, which is the goal of the vehicle as far as I'm concerned. Though, if I had 2x 2 door vehicles.... I might have considered getting a 4 door just for variety. Part of the reason I am trading in the 2 door Jeep for a Bronco is for that little bit of performance variety as well. The main reason is that we "need" two vehicles my wife can drive, just in case the 4 door Jeep has issues, which it has in the past. The 400+ pounds of torque and trail turn assist helped make me not feel so bad about having to go automatic.

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP gives us an FYI on his build update and it turns into the 2DR vs 4DR ladder match

We really need some broncos in our hands

Graybs

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, I really did it.

I've got to be honest, I really don't care for the appearance of the 4 door Bronco in stock form. But my heavily modified Jeep TJ on 38s... well, it's not going anywhere. In theory the Bronco is an overland build. I couldn't justify another 2-door 4x4 in my driveway. What for? Why? Ironically my kids are teenagers nearing high school completion so that's not even the reason... I just need a big vehicle to get around in and possibly camp.

I went back and forth so many times. Hope I made the right decision. Whenever I see a 2-door my heart lights up, but whenever I see my Jeep I feel the same way...
Condolences

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Latest update, dealer is concerned that switching to the 4-door will delay my delivery... we are back to the 2-door for the moment.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You may never know if the dealer is right or wrong

Sounds like you need to do some soul searching on your door preference and timing expectations

Sponsored
OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may never know if the dealer is right or wrong

Sounds like you need to do some soul searching on your door preference and timing expectations
I truly don't know if he's right or wrong. He doesn't either.

The one thing I (and they) feel confident about is switching the 2 door to a soft top will improve the odds. Given I wanted the modular hard top anyway, I'm good with the soft top for now, and get the hard top I wanted next year when they're available. For now, this is where I'll end up. Back to two door.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was the opposite. I already have a 4Dr Rubicon that we are keeping. So I am thrilled to add a 2DR badlands

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sadly, some custom shop will probably convert one of the 4 doors into a 6 door or maybe even an 8 door. :(

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, itā€™s a 2dr, not a 2seater.....both will seat up to 4 adults relatively comfortably. I would think most people in their 60ā€™s (of average physical condition) and younger should have little to no problem sliding a seat forward and climbing in. Iā€™m also inclined to believe that carting elderly people around in an off-road vehicle would be a relatively infrequent occurrence, and most people have access to a second vehicle more conducive to elderly Uber Duties.

Certainly kids and grandkids will probably even enjoy the routine.....I know I didnā€™t think twice about it when I was a kid. Now, kids in car seat age are a different story........the 2dr option is a nonstarter without other options in the stable.

With that said....If you have the option/choice, buy the version you want, be it 2 or 4dr, and if you donā€™t have the luxury of choice over need, then buy the version you need.......or buy something else. Itā€™s your money and anybody that doesnā€™t like it can lump it

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sense you're going to regret the switch. I know I would. The 4dr isn't something I'd look back at as I walked away, and that's my rule when buying a car, even at the expense of practicality.
I sure as hell looked back at the 4 door when I was leaving the dealer. Liked it so much that I went to another dealer event just to see it again. I would be happy with either to be honest, but the 4 door checks off more boxes for me. My original order was a 2 door. People keep arguing over 2 and 4 door crap. Who cares. Buy what makes you happy. For people that are switching just to get the bronco early and really wanted a 2 door will probably be unhappy though.
Sponsored