Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well that's interesting, I think everyone was under the impression that the difference between the two bumpers was simply bolt on. Knowing that you have to modify (cut stuff off) is a bit disturbing.

Makes me wonder, when all these aftermarkets start making bumpers, are they expecting you to have the mod bumper or the standard?

OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 International Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
what are you planning to do with the factory fog lights?
any way to use them?
Not sure yet, they won't fit on the end. The middle has the dampers which I don't want to close off

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yea I assumed standard bumper was easier to change. I'm sure better options will come but I feel like in general aftermarket is ignoring the standard bumper crowd at this point.
Yes, I got the standard bumper because I dont like, or need the Modular, although I would have ordered the "Capable" bumper if it were available in 2021.

Drew5150, thanks for posting this project, its interesting to see whats what! Is there a site for swapping, selling parts? Id maybe like to buy a set of Badlands stock wheels for my OBX from someone upgrading their Badlands.

Sponsored

kermitfrog

First Name
gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
drive
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This isn't discussed much, and I think people presume they're easily removed, but Ford's service information intonates they're welded/ integral to the brackets used to hold the intercooler in place.

1632137828971.png
Looking at the picture those mounts that the tow hooks are welded to are removable(to drop out radiator/intercooler if needs replaceing)as there is bolts holding bracket in place to the frame so my guess that you swap out these for a bronco equiment with the heavy duty bumper or order those version through ford or get a fabrication shop to make a new one so its possible to keep the original bracket

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looking at the picture those mounts that the tow hooks are welded to are removable(to drop out radiator/intercooler if needs replaceing)as there is bolts holding bracket in place to the frame so my guess that you swap out these for a bronco equiment with the heavy duty bumper or order those version through ford or get a fabrication shop to make a new one so its possible to keep the original bracket
Holy sentence! But yes, that's what @Funkdoobiest was suggesting in his post.

Drew5150, thanks for posting this project, its interesting to see whats what! Is there a site for swapping, selling parts? Id maybe like to buy a set of Badlands stock wheels for my OBX from someone upgrading their Badlands.
Could always start here on B6G itself...

Ford Bronco Changed out standard bumper for Heavy-Duty Modular Bumper. 1632143311928

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are you also putting in the bash plates? I think the one picture with the bumper installed is throwing me off cause I feel like maybe the bash plates are not there? I don’t know, I was thinking about doing this but have been looking at aftermarket as well. Just need my Bronco first then the fun will begin. Appreciate the post though.

OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 International Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you also putting in the bash plates? I think the one picture with the bumper installed is throwing me off cause I feel like maybe the bash plates are not there? I don’t know, I was thinking about doing this but have been looking at aftermarket as well. Just need my Bronco first then the fun will begin. Appreciate the post though.
Bash steel plate is installed. Bumper and plate won't go on until you cut tow hooks or replace with new bracket without tow hooks.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP ... I am so confused. Do you have any pics of the bracket before you cut the tow hooks?

I assume if I need to replace the Intercooler, I would unbolt that bracket that contains the tow hooks correct? If yes why did you just not unbolt the entire bracket?

Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you @flip!!

but it's even more confusing now... the Modular bumper exploded view doesn't show(that I can see) any bracket to hold the intercooler... and how can 17A954A be for both left and right? they are clearly mirrored.......

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd like to install a front bash plate with the standard bumper. The Ford part says it requires? the Modular bumper. The 4WP plate says it works without it, ANAICT. I won't know till I'm released from Purgatory.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you @flip!!

but it's even more confusing now... the Modular bumper exploded view doesn't show(that I can see) any bracket to hold the intercooler... and how can 17A954A be for both left and right? they are cleared mirrored.......
Intercooler brackets are probably another section. Not sure on the front hooks, may be a misprint.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Intercooler brackets are probably another section. Not sure on the front hooks, may be a misprint.
It's confusing because on vehicles built without mod bumper, those hook brackets *are* the intercooler brackets and appear within the 'front tow equipment' section. Weird to see the split, but I've seen worse organization in automotive EPCs before, so 🤷‍♂️

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's confusing because on vehicles built without mod bumper, those hook brackets *are* the intercooler brackets and appear within the 'front tow equipment' section. Weird to see the split, but I've seen worse organization in automotive EPCs before, so 🤷‍♂️
Not sure what you mean.
Sponsored

Attachments