Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did heavy-duty fork seals last year - best upgrade ever - eliminated the annual change of a leaky fork seal, which is a PITA.
I have been riding for 58 years, every make of bike, and always do my own maintenance & repair, from brake pads to a full engine rebuild (Honda 450 twin & 1977 GL1000). Tore my 2013 F6B down to the intake to install the McCruise CC system, now that was a PIA, all that Tupperware! Rebuilt the top end in an Audi in my garage, only had to take the heads in to be shaved. Will I be doing my own Bronco work? you damn Skippy!!
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Slide under there and do it myself. My Dad didn't teach me either- he was a very talented musician although could not turn a wrench. So after a summer at my uncles shop in Maryland when I was like 12 years old, I became fascinated with cars. When I returned after that summer Ii spent most of my spare time at the library reading book after book about engines, cars, trucks etc. I wanted to be a mechanic. I started with lawnmower, minibike and go cart engines. Bought tools every week up the wonder collection of tools and roll aways I have now. I graduated small engine and started with working on my first two vehicles- a 1971 and 1970 Bronco. Mechanic didn't pay much so I went to College and became an engineer as my main job. I pursued mechanic on the side. Since then I have performed all routine car maintenance at home- even some medium to have jobs- repairing axles and rebuilding an engine once. So reading is a great way to learn, then just do the work and gain experience. I am still learning to this day. But I enjoy doing all my automotive work. I am super meticulous and know it's done right.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently checked the valve clearance on my KTM 1190, swapped out valve shims to the correct gap, installed new chain and sprockets, changed the oil, changed the brake fluid, changed the clutch fluid, cleaned the air filter, and thought about changing the coolant ... that being said I am going to take the Bronco to the dealership :LOL:
Chet, you buried your KTM in a mud-hole a while back, but now you're too much of a dandy to crawl under a Bronco to change your oil? What happened to you?!? 😂

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I take the wife's vehicles to the dealership to be changed, but do all the work myself on my vehicles. We have 2 trucks, 2 SUVs, 1 car, and 2 motorcycles. I just don't have time to do everything on all of them. I still do simple things on hers like change plugs, air filters, etc. I will do everything on my Bronco.

Sponsored

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd like to think that over my driving life that I've created a job or two overall by taking my cars somewhere for someone more qualified than me to do quality work. People have strengths in different areas and mine is by no means wrenching on a car or truck.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Routine maintenance and repairs of your vehicle are on the same level as seeing to the needs of your loved one. Tender, loving care of your vehicle is necessary for a long-term relationship. Paying someone else to do these duties is like paying someone else to satisfy your spouse.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I use the logic that the money I've saved over the years by doing my own repairs is paying for my new Bronco. That logic may be a bit faulty in that I use it on every new car purchase I make, so it probably doesn't pencil out.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have changed oil in everything I have ever owned. Much easier than an engine swap or transmission rebuild (been there done that too)

However with the a new Bronco (first new vehicle) our dealer has a thing where if you buy a new vehicle every other oil change is free and you have a lifetime engine warranty.

With all this turbocharged DI voodoo sign me up for that...

So for basically half price I will let my little brother's minions change it.

(brother is shop foreman at my local dealer)

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I revel in doing my own shade tree mechanicing..
I find a major advantage to be....take something apart often enough and you’ll soon have enough parts left over to build an entire new something.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the oil filter on top of the engine, it should be easy on the Bronco. I just ordered an oil extractor so this means I will be able to change the oil without getting under the car, which will be nice. Also eliminates the concern of the oil pan bolt stripping. I change the oil in all the cars because I think I save like $50 a vehicle and I enjoy knowing it was done properly. But to each his own. Of course this assumes I ever actually receive a Bronco, regardless the extractor will make it easier to do my kids Challenger and should enable him to do it himself. It has a skid plate under it that you have to remove to get to the oil pan plug which is a PITA. It too has the filter on top of the engine.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I do my own oil changes. I can buy premium quality 0W-20 full synthetic oil and a filter for less than $25 and do it myself in about 30 min. Less time than it takes me to drive somewhere, pay $80, and drive home. Easy to recycle oil in CA, you just bring it to any auto parts store. Also when I check my brake pads/rotors/belts/hoses/etc. I actually enjoy it to be honest.
Now yardwork/landscaping? Different story, happy to pay someone else to do that :ROFLMAO:

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do my own oil changes. I can buy premium quality 0W-20 full synthetic oil and a filter for less than $25 and do it myself in about 30 min. Less time than it takes me to drive somewhere, pay $80, and drive home. Easy to recycle oil in CA, you just bring it to any auto parts store. Also when I check my brake pads/rotors/belts/hoses/etc. I actually enjoy it to be honest.
Now yardwork/landscaping? Different story, happy to pay someone else to do that :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to call BS on premium full synthetic and filter for less than 25 unless you work for an oil distributor.

Also I pay Honda 40 bucks for a full synthetic oil change and drink free premium coffee and eat free premium donuts on a Saturday morning.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same here on both counts. I hate yard work with a passion too. I'm always happy to pay the neighborhood kids to mow.

For oil changes though, I really like doing that kind of work myself.

I order my replacement filters online for half the cost of buying them from the local store. And I keep them all on a shelf in the garage. I typically go to the local store to buy the oil itself though. Since I have multiple vehicles, I'll drain the oil into a spare jug I keep around. I'll take it to the store in a different vehicle and have them dump it while I pick up a new jug of oil. When I get home, I pour the new oil into the engine and save the jug for next time.

To make it easier, I run Fumoto valves on all my oil pans. http://fumotousa.com/

Hook up a hose, run it to the jug, open the valve, let it drain while I replace filters. Close the valve and put the lid on the jug and I'm pretty much done. Depending on the engine, I may need a catch pan for when I pull the filter. My Jeep Cherokee needs one. The filter is on the side of the engine and drips no matter what you do. My Subaru and the JK Wrangler I had both have filters on top of the engine and if you do it right, you don't drip any oil when you swap the filter. So for the Cherokee, I do need to drain the little bit from the filter into the jug when I'm done. But for the Subaru, I drain right into the jug. No runs, drips, or errors.

Personally, I like knowing that the person doing the oil change is more than a minimum wage flunky and that they actually care if they do a good job. And I get to pick the filters I use and the oil that goes in to the engine. I don't save much money but I have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right.

And speaking of saving money, when it comes to oil filters, don't go cheap. Good filters are only a few bucks more and worth it. Cheap filters use cardboard ends that don't hold up as long. Their filter media is less effective at cleaning the junk out of the oil. Pretty much all brands have their "premium" line that is worth the extra money. Or in some cases, the whole brand is "premium". Dealer branded filters are usually acceptable and they run in the middle of the pack. So as long as you get those or better, you're fine.
Sponsored