Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Either do your own or find a competent local mechanic you can trust. I'd NEVER have a dealership or some quick change shop do it. It'll be done by a kid, literally and only bad things can happen. Cross-threaded plugs, didn't change the filter, breaking other stuff putting too much force on the wrench. There are horror stories.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Either do your own or find a competent local mechanic you can trust. I'd NEVER have a dealership or some quick change shop do it. It'll be done by a kid, literally and only bad things can happen. Cross-threaded plugs, didn't change the filter, breaking other stuff putting too much force on the wrench. There are horror stories.
Yep. I've seen first hand what happens when the monkey at the quick lube place screws up the drain plug (or even forgets to put it back in). There's something wrong with a business model where they factor in replacing an average of X number of engines every year.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the oil filter on top of the engine, it should be easy on the Bronco. I just ordered an oil extractor so this means I will be able to change the oil without getting under the car, which will be nice. Also eliminates the concern of the oil pan bolt stripping. I change the oil in all the cars because I think I save like $50 a vehicle and I enjoy knowing it was done properly. But to each his own. Of course this assumes I ever actually receive a Bronco, regardless the extractor will make it easier to do my kids Challenger and should enable him to do it himself. It has a skid plate under it that you have to remove to get to the oil pan plug which is a PITA. It too has the filter on top of the engine.
I guess I have never had to concern myself with a drain plug stripping. Run it in by hand, seat it with a wrench. Rocket science it aint.

Somehow the threads always seem well lubed and since the plug stays on for short periods of time they never seize.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7L engine has a composite drain pan, so the drain plug is plastic and has an O-ring seal. The drain plug closes with a simple 120-degree turn and has plastic tabs to prevent over tightening. It can be removed and reinstalled by hand. No tools required, other than to try to minimize oil spray.

Sponsored

Roundrocktx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is350c, F-150, F-250 on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had too many bad experiences at the oil change places. Stripped drain plug, oil levels not correct, forgetting to put the air filter back in, dumping oil on the engine so it smoked for quite a while, etc.

I was at a national oil change place waiting for them to finish. I was the only one there. On the table was a report for the business. It had all the revenue and a section for upsells. The target was 50% for upsell. It didn't matter if you needed it or not, that was part of the metrics and compensation.

My wife took her VW bug in with 11K miles when I was out of town. They sold her a fuel filter, radiator flush, transmission fluid change, rear differential change and new wipers. They told her it would void her warranty if she didn't do it. 'nearly $250!!. I called and wrote to the business and got no response. I called and wrote to the corporate office and got no response.

It may be a little messy, but I know it is done right!

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm going to call BS on premium full synthetic and filter for less than 25 unless you work for an oil distributor.

Also I pay Honda 40 bucks for a full synthetic oil change and drink free premium coffee and eat free premium donuts on a Saturday morning.
Go check the price on a 5qt jug of Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 and a Fram Extra guard filter from Amazon prime and get back to me. I'll wait.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would rather filter my oil thru a old gym sock than use a Fram.

But then a Motorcraft filter is like $4, a wix isn't much more.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going to call BS on premium full synthetic and filter for less than 25 unless you work for an oil distributor.

Also I pay Honda 40 bucks for a full synthetic oil change and drink free premium coffee and eat free premium donuts on a Saturday morning.
Wally world sells 5qt jugs of full synth Mobil 1 for $25.

But you are correct...not oil + filter for under $25...but $35...been doing it for years.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go check the price on a 5qt jug of Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 and a Fram Extra guard filter from Amazon prime and get back to me. I'll wait.
If my time in the test lab at Donaldson taught me anything it was that there is nothing premium about the Fram brand. No thanks, nope.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For fun though I played your game, filter is 7 bucks and the oil requires 6qts so you're looking at above 30 for run of the mill oil and a sub par filter. 🤘

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For fun though I played your game, filter is 7 bucks and the oil requires 6qts so you're looking at above 30 for run of the mill oil and a sub par filter. 🤘
Hmm...I better double check then, because last order was under $25. Maybe Amazon is giving me an extra discount that you aren't eligible for. My car uses 4.5 qts per change BTW.
And hey, if you really believe those "premium premium" oils and filters are better than "premium" stuff then you go for it.
Kudos to you for getting a full-synth oil change at the dealer for $40. I can personally guarantee no dealer in CA will do that for less than $60-80. Maybe on occasion with a coupon or something, but regularly no.
I'd take the free coffee and donuts though, you got me there :ROFLMAO:

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm...I better double check then, because last order was under $25. Maybe Amazon is giving me an extra discount that you aren't eligible for. My car uses 4.5 qts per change BTW.
And hey, if you really believe those "premium premium" oils and filters are better than "premium" stuff then you go for it.
Kudos to you for getting a full-synth oil change at the dealer for $40. I can personally guarantee no dealer in CA will do that for less than $60-80. Maybe on occasion with a coupon or something, but regularly no.
I'd take the free coffee and donuts though, you got me there :ROFLMAO:
If it has a warranty it goes to the dealer.

I like the satisfaction of working on my vehicles and motorcycles as much as the next guy but until the warranty is up it goes to the dealership.

Case and point ... my fiancés 64k mile old Kia Optima literally just locked up the motor at 65mph this last Saturday and now needs a new engine. It has been serviced at Kia and had all of the recalls done at the time of service. They are taking 100% responsibility, although there is a class action for those motors failing also.

davesell

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang GT, 19 Mustang Bullitt, 22 F150 PB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 2019 Ford Mustang 5.0 (Bullitt) and it has plastic pan as does the GT350.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2019 Ford Mustang 5.0 (Bullitt) and it has plastic pan as does the GT350.
Same type of 120-degree-turn plastic plug with O-ring seal as on the 2.7L EcoBoost engine demonstrator stand at Moab, right?

Ford Bronco Changing your own oil? Composite Oil Pan with Plastic Drain Plu

Source: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-2-7l-engine-pictures-from-moab.14761/

Where the oil drain plug looks something like this?

Ford Bronco Changing your own oil? Plastic Drain Plug with O-rin

If so, replacement plugs should be less than $8 purchased from a Ford dealer, and even less expensive if purchased in multi-packs.

Or you can upgrade to an aftermarket plug made of billet aluminum, if you want to spend a little money ($50).

Here is the aftermarket product link:

https://parkerperformancefl.com/pro...-billet-oil-drain-plug-for-composite-oil-pans
Sponsored

Last edited: