Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, could have sworn I saw a thread on it recently....I think it was Astley that was referring to it in his Ranger. Too many random threads to keep up...
Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check out popular mechanics for useful tips on how to dispose of oil.

h.jpg

Jk don't do that. I usually have 2-3 used oil jugs of about 12-15 quart capacity I'll fill and once a year I head to the municipal home waste disposal for drop off. It's free but takes about an hour round trip. Most auto stores, at least around me, will take uncontaminated oil and filters.

First oil change let the shop do it. I've found with our last vehicles the original factory filter was on gorilla tight and being on your back under a vehicle doesn't always give you the greatest leverage.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm sitting at a pep boys right now with an hour-long wait, to get my oil changed. I know with the Bronco, I want to change my own oil

For those of you planning to change your own Bronco's oil, do you plan to just slide under there and figure it out yourself? Or will you let the techs do it first and pick it up from there on after?

I don't imagine the Bronco being too different than say, a Ranger. But this is coming from someone who has never changed oil before a day in his life

Be gentle... my dad didn't teach me these things 😇
if you are gonna change it they have these ramp things you drive up on and they are awesome!!!! get those, wear clothes you don't care about put your parking brake on, it is really self explanatory you just gotta get in there and understand what you are looking for. Good luck though!

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I get my oil changed and 5-tire rotation about every 5K miles on my Sahara - which works out to be about once a year. Oh, and in my state, once your vehicle is more than a few years old, there's the annual emissions test. One-stop shop to handle all 3 at a quick oil-change spot. Oil changes run ~$35 'round these parts, so not bad, and it's usually in & out and quicker (and cleaner!) than doing it myself.

Sponsored

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ugh I miss being able to do that on my GTI. Ford likes to put their oil filters in really stupid locations where you get the pleasure of crawling under the vehicle and removing panels to access them.
I thought I had everything all figured out with my Cabrio and could handle it.....until I got a Mazda (with Ford parts scatted around) and I could even figure out how to get to anything 😂😂😂😂

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ugh I miss being able to do that on my GTI. Ford likes to put their oil filters in really stupid locations where you get the pleasure of crawling under the vehicle and removing panels to access them.
Whoa whoa whoa. Who do you think you are, questioning decisions made by ford engineers about the location of their oil filters?! They spent upwards of two, maybe even three whole lunch hours figuring that out!

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Check out popular mechanics for useful tips on how to dispose of oil.
Ford Bronco Changing your own oil? h
Yep. I remember my dad doing just about this same thing back in the '70s, probably before there was any such thing as oil recyclers. But it wasn't synthetic oil, so what could be the harm? [chuckle]
The funny thing (not really) is that we had well water. So who knows what that may have done to our water. Well, I made it this far anyway.
And I remember changing the oil myself on my 1st vehicle, but I don't remember what I did with old oil. Too many years ago.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My Escape came with free oil changes for life. They didn’t realize I was going to live this long and keep the same vehicle! I’ve always changed my own oil before that. As folks said, pour it into a few milk jugs. Most communities have oil drop off locations. At least with the Bronco, it will be easier to get under.

just a note, if this is your first time, wait until the mud dries or the snow is done dripping!

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you run synthetic you will save a ton of money doing your own oil changes.

Plus the peace of mind knowing you got the exact oil and filter of your choice and it being done right.

Buy it from Walmart in 5 quart containers and save those for the old oil.

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oil filter is up top, super easy (for 2.7, not sure about 2.3). Just hope they have a good place for the drain plugs and won't have to remove anything.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've read somewhere in these pages that one thing to be cautious of is the oil plug on the Bronco. The pan is plastic as are the threads and can easily be messed up/cross threaded.

Apparently, there is a better plug you can buy for the pan that will help protect against this. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong....

good luck and good on ya' for being willing to give it a shot. ( rule one, don't forget to fill it back up with oil after draining it....;)

as an aside- what oil do you guys like to run? I usually run a blend, but have never had an injected engine before...?
I plan on using a pump on mine... Its proven to do just as good a job. Some engines don't even have drain plugs anymore. I use a 12volt version made for marine engines. Don't even need to get on the ground.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I wore a younger man's cloths I had to change the oil myself, because I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do the job. :) Kudos for wanting to do it yourself. And as stated, check with you local waste recycling dept. I'm sure you can just put the used fluid in a gallon jug, and take them to the recycle center.

Now that I'm more mature (re: older) I just let the dealer change the oil while I drink coffee, and look at the new trucks.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I might change my own oil in the Bronco. Haven’t changed my own oil in decades. Disposal used to be easy back in the 70’s. I dumped the used oil down the storm manhole at my parents’ house. I’d have to find out how to get rid of it legally now though.
Sponsored