Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Escape came with free oil changes for life. They didn’t realize I was going to live this long and keep the same vehicle!
My Jeep came with first 3 oil changes free from dealership. Problem was that there was a time limit (like a year), and I only drive enough to need maybe 1 oil change a year. So by the time I went back for my second 'free' oil change, they said "no". After asking to talk to salesman who sold it, they waived the fee, but they said that was the end of it. That just meant I found a closer and quicker oil-change joint from then on.
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, its just so cheap having them do it. I am not saving very much by the time I go pick up oil and a filter, change the oil, then call around to see who is taking oil, and finally driving the oil to said place. I literally have used oil sitting in my container now because the place that always takes it had a contamination issue. Its also nice during warranty issues when the dealer sees that they are the ones doing maintenance on the vehicle.
This. I can and have done this, I just don't want to. It is $35 or so to get an oil change, and I can't see the value in spending my time do that task 3-4 times a year. After you buy all the materials, and spend the time to buy, change, dump the oil, how much money are you really saving?

I would rather be driving my Bronco, not working on it.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I always take my old oil to the Advance Auto down the street. I don't know if it's a NY thing but anywhere that sells oil has to take old oil back for free to be recycled.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think doing your own oil is a great idea. I have done both the 2.7 and 2.3. There are some tricks to both, as many have mentioned, lots of YouTube videos and I am sure the Bronco will have some minor peculiarities. Advanced Auto, O’ Riley’s Walmart all take the oil back. I use a 5gallon kerosene can personally. If you are going 2.3, be aware the factory filter and replacement (both motorcraft) use different filter wrenches. The 2.3 was super tight from the factory and it isn’t easy to access behind the drivers side front tire. Get both wrenches, it’s worth the $8 or whatever it cost , just wish it didn’t take me 2 trips 🤬

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always take my old oil to the Advance Auto down the street. I don't know if it's a NY thing but anywhere that sells oil has to take old oil back for free to be recycled.
It’s the same for CO, IL, and MI too. I think it’s national.

Sponsored

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm sitting at a pep boys right now with an hour-long wait, to get my oil changed. I know with the Bronco, I want to change my own oil

For those of you planning to change your own Bronco's oil, do you plan to just slide under there and figure it out yourself? Or will you let the techs do it first and pick it up from there on after?

I don't imagine the Bronco being too different than say, a Ranger. But this is coming from someone who has never changed oil before a day in his life

Be gentle... my dad didn't teach me these things 😇
I hope the oil filter is *not* positionally similar to the Ranger. Unless they’ve changed the location—you pretty much have to remove the tire to get to the filter..

Escape Hatch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 GTI, 19 Atlas SE w/ tech R Line V6 4 motion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ugh I miss being able to do that on my GTI. Ford likes to put their oil filters in really stupid locations where you get the pleasure of crawling under the vehicle and removing panels to access them.
Pretty sure the 2.7 has the filter on the top like the GTI.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This. I can and have done this, I just don't want to. It is $35 or so to get an oil change, and I can't see the value in spending my time do that task 3-4 times a year. After you buy all the materials, and spend the time to buy, change, dump the oil, how much money are you really saving?

I would rather be driving my Bronco, not working on it.
Some people find it rewarding to works on their own rides, others don't. And I don't know where you are getting your oil changed for $35 but please don't take your Bronco there. I change the oil in my F150 myself and 6 quarts of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 with filter is $49.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some people find it rewarding to works on their own rides, others don't. And I don't know where you are getting your oil changed for $35 but please don't take your Bronco there. I change the oil in my F150 myself and 6 quarts of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20 with filter is $49.
Sure, if people enjoy doing this, go for it. Responding to the OP question, it's just not worth my time.

My Subaru is about $35-$40 for an oil change, I don't really pay that close of attention. I take it to the dealership and they do it and I pay the bill. Some items I am not very cost sensitive to, oil changes are one of them.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealership charges like 30-40 so I just let them do it. I get a free coffee too.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree that doing all of your own service is rewarding. However, fluids are a PITA. Not because they are difficult but because you need to dispose of the used stuff. Yes, if a store sells oil and filters they are required by law to take the used stuff back. Not all of them do. Also, you need to transport the fluids and that can be very messy. Those 2 items are why I will have an independent shop do my oil.
Yup...not worth the hassle imo.

Also by the time you buy everything you need you don't save that much.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Pretty sure the 2.7 has the filter on the top like the GTI.
Looks like you're right, that's awesome. Makes for such an easy oil change, assuming you can get an extractor tube all the way to the bottom of the pan. I've dealt with a couple vehicles where you couldn't.

The 2.3 definitely has a bottom mounted oil filter though. Should be at least a little easier to access on the Bronco than it is an RS though...

Screenshot_20210228-140357_Gallery.jpg

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am pretty sure the Bronco 2.3l filter is in the same drivers side position as the Ranger. It’s a bit tight, but does not require removal of the tire (at least in the Ranger). 2.7 is definitely on top of the motor and is cartridge style. 2.7 shoot shoots oil like a fire hose and uses an odd “partial turn” drain plug. All well documented elsewhere too.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh I miss being able to do that on my GTI. Ford likes to put their oil filters in really stupid locations where you get the pleasure of crawling under the vehicle and removing panels to access them.
and getting more oil on you than in the pan
Sponsored