bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I hadn't seen a full review/post on this so I thought I'd throw one up. I recently installed an Icom Race Radio in my Bronco Raptor.

Couple things to note.
Radio, Cable, and Antenna are from PCI Race Radio. Radio is old though.
Radio Mounting Bracket is from Rugged Radios.
Antenna Bracket is from JCR Off Road.

The PCI Radio cable comes at 17'. It BARELY reached the rear mount. I originally planned on running it up under the glove box and into the trim along the door but it wasn't long enough. I ended up running it in the center console trim then under the passenger seat and into the door trim. Also when going out the rear door I had to go out the vent because the length didn't allow to come out the premade hole.

The Rugged Radio Bracket works perfect.

The JCR Antenna Mount had issues but I think they are specific to the Raptor. Since the Raptor has the upgraded rear door when you mount the bracket flush it has a "slight" bend to it. If you only were going to use this bracket for a flag I'm sure it would be fine however it left no room for an Antenna to actually mount. After a few trips to the hardware store I ended up getting some spacers and throwing them on there, which worked like a charm. The total spacer is probably about 3/4". It touches the tire but has not bend from the contact.

For those that don't know if you need power there is a rubber pop out behind the Brake Pedal. I popped that out and put a notch in it to run power to my Radio.

Overall I'm very happy with the parts and set up. Finding out about the spacers after the wheel was off was annoying but once I found a work around I had no issues. I'd recommend all these parts again.

Radio Bracket.

Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation 94Z5OLJ3THKb7gvzFJLVkA

Side view on Antenna Mount and Spacers.

Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation WJr1gXA_SWSlQxK28YkFww

Rear view of Mount.

Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation PrzA_XMkSlOhGcUQFlIho
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been looking for some way to cleanly mount a radio in that spot, using the handle bolts as mount points to avoid drilling. Really glad to see that there's an option out there.

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did the same thing but used the MOLLE panel from MTM to mount it.
Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation CA2FC219-E78B-4A5A-8949-467C3B7A845F

BVan604

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been looking for some way to cleanly mount a radio in that spot, using the handle bolts as mount points to avoid drilling. Really glad to see that there's an option out there.
I used the rugged radios mount as well. Super easy, nice and clean. It's a great solution.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Same, but with the Mabett molle panel:
Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation 1676844515545

Ran the antenna and power leads through the firewall grommet though, and mounted the antenna up front with a ditch light mount

Ford Bronco Chase Radio - Icom Race Radio installation 1676844626107

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
VHF, what is commonly used for Baja.
Just to help some folks understand what is going on here.
These VHF radios (HAM) work within a very specific frequency band, and PCI race radios LICENSED 80 channels in that frequency band under their call sign WPGK938. They share these channels with their customers. They have a license agreement you must sign when buying one of their radios and renew it annually. I'm not sure everyone follows those rules, but they are there.

Other than these radios, you would need to have a HAM license to transmit on those frequencies.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

so they only work with other people using this same radio?

Doesn't have to be the same radio itself, but does need to have the sane frequencies.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to help some folks understand what is going on here.
These VHF radios (HAM) work within a very specific frequency band, and PCI race radios LICENSED 80 channels in that frequency band under their call sign WPGK938. They share these channels with their customers. They have a license agreement you must sign when buying one of their radios and renew it annually. I'm not sure everyone follows those rules, but they are there.

Other than these radios, you would need to have a HAM license to transmit on those frequencies.
Thank you for this info!! I need to figure out the best option to keep in contact when I go out with other folks. Radio use for off-road is new to me. We always used CBs to stay in touch when I was younger.

Bukin67

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Bronco Baja racer "The Bukin'eer"
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have one of PCI,s Kenwood units and been looking for a different mounting solution, but this seems to be the best way to go, with either one of the molle brackets or Rugged’s mount. Thanks for the post!

Ctholl

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk wrangler (bronco on order)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Correct me if I'm wrong but are the handheld rugged radios the exception to being licensed? Seems like a 5 watt transmitter wasn't required as such? I know you're limited on range that way but they sure are handy
Sponsored